VSX-823k vs Marantz 1504 + speaker syste,

meetanshu

Hi All,

I have to suggest a upto 60k home theatre gift for myself :yahoo:.

To give some context -
I am a bit of audiophile but kept myself to headphones. I have a pair of Hi-fi man he400 cans that I purchased a couple of years back Buy HiFiMan - HE-400 Headphones Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in.
The gift idea came when I was found ogling at Sony BDV-N9200W speakers at Reliance Digital. As the time for my birthday comes closer. I found myself scavenging through forums to figure out value for money investment.
The forum here has many active folks from Hyderabad and that encouraged me to ask for help as I can also get actual shop references.

I started with Sony BDV-9200W. Ventured to Bose and found every single person saying its no value for money. Next I ventured to harman and Pioneer. Harman speaker systems itself cost 49k, and with a AV receiver :rolleyes: In Pioneer I really liked the HTP-823-MKII which is coming at a cheap price of 50k (again I discovered hifimart via this forum). Then reading other posts I realised that it is better to assemble a HT piece by piece. So after two days of overwhelming learning done singly via this forum here are my options.
Help me to pick one or better them please-
1) HTP 823 MKII (50k) or
2) Pioneer VSX 823k (37k) vs Marantz 1504 (38k) - I think Marantz would be picked over +
2.1)speaker system in 22k vs
2.2) two floor standing speakers(Pioneer SP-FS22, Boston Acoustics CA 226). The gifter (my wife) prefers floor standing ones since that will enhance ambience of room.

The room is drawing + dinning but speakers would be placed in drawing part of it approx 12ftx20ft.

Guys,
Any help would be highly appreciated. I need to wrap it up by next weekend

Your combination 2 appears better with the Marantz and FS speakers.
I have a Pioneer 923 with BA XS 5.1 for my bedroom, which I am yet to explore fully. I found my Denon 2310 with KEF FS speakers a better combination than the Pioneer BA one, but then its too early to compare.

FS anytime better than BS but again, please audition the AVRs and the speakers for yourself and then decide. You are the best judge for what you like. Buy only what you like, even though maybe one at a time. You will soon have a solid system that you will enjoy for years. Sorry bro, if I have spoken too much.

Thanks Shanks. No offences whatsoever buddy. BTW, which KEF FS speakers do you have? Also BA XS 5.1 are small speakers. How will they fare again a AJ 5.1 (that is what I intend to build to over time starting with pioneer SP FS 22 pair for now)

Audition Jamo S426 5.0 add a subwoofer later. This can be had below 30k. I was quoted 26k. If you add the AVR price to it I think it should very well be inside your budget. Subwoofer can be added as your next bday gift. :D

Since you are going for an AVR and speakers as opposed to an stereo amplifier + speakers, I assume your primary purpose will be movies or movies + music. In that case you need to consider a center speaker, that is very important for movies.

You have gone through the forum then you must have also read that it is best to go with bookshelves when in budget than lower-end floor standers. :)
In the long run this will give you more satisfaction sound quality wise and you can add a sub-woofer and rear speakers later.

I can not emphasize this more however: if you want to listen to music and that is your intention then discard the AVR and go with an integrated amplifier, the difference is quite huge in music quality.

Thanks Shanks. No offences whatsoever buddy. BTW, which KEF FS speakers do you have? Also BA XS 5.1 are small speakers. How will they fare again a AJ 5.1 (that is what I intend to build to over time starting with pioneer SP FS 22 pair for now)

Apologies Meetanshu, I don't have the KEF speaker model with me right now, but will get back soon. I found the HECO 5.1 satellite speakers to be quite good; too bad they came with a combo of Pioneer 523 from ProFx, whereas I wanted the 823 at least and the price difference quoted for changing the combo was too high and didn't make sense to me and so settled for the BA XS 5.1 due to space constraints.

Audition Jamo S426 5.0 add a subwoofer later. This can be had below 30k. I was quoted 26k. If you add the AVR price to it I think it should very well be inside your budget. Subwoofer can be added as your next bday gift. :D

Where can I get Jamo speakers in hyderabad? Also I am planning to go for Marantz.

Since you are going for an AVR and speakers as opposed to an stereo amplifier + speakers, I assume your primary purpose will be movies or movies + music. In that case you need to consider a center speaker, that is very important for movies.

You have gone through the forum then you must have also read that it is best to go with bookshelves when in budget than lower-end floor standers. :)
In the long run this will give you more satisfaction sound quality wise and you can add a sub-woofer and rear speakers later.

I can not emphasize this more however: if you want to listen to music and that is your intention then discard the AVR and go with an integrated amplifier, the difference is quite huge in music quality.

Yes the main aim is movies+music. FTW I am planning to get Marantz receiver. About the bookshelf vs FS, I thought the FS ones are costlier and better. I will love to know which book-shelf ones are better suited.

Hi Meetanshu

Go for the Marantz NR 1504, definitely you will not regret it. As for speakers, please visit Reliance Digital to audition the Jamo S426 5.0 speakers...decent and blend well with the Marantz.

See which dealer / website offers the same at a competitive rate and then get it.

All the best.

Hi

Guess the current MRP at Reliance Digital is around some 44k and HiFimart is selling the same around 38k. You may want to check with your local Home Theatre dealer if available cheaper.

Hi Meetanshu

Go for the Marantz NR 1504, definitely you will not regret it. As for speakers, please visit Reliance Digital to audition the Jamo S426 5.0 speakers...decent and blend well with the Marantz.

See which dealer / website offers the same at a competitive rate and then get it.

All the best.

I am getting a good deal on Denon AVR X1000 as well, same price as 1504. Between the two which one do you recommend

Hi

Both are manufactured by D & M Holdings.....Marantz has better components and hence a bit expensive. Trust your ears when you are purchasing something. Denon X 1000 would have slightly more output and some features over the NR 1504.

I am currently using a NR 1504, previously owned the NR 1402 which was purchased more than a year back and I choose that over a Denon X500.

Your call buddy! Would suggest to hear the same song on both AVRs and decide...if it is loudness that matters then go for the X1000 and if it is quality with warmth, go for NR 1504.

I am also looking for a good avr to drive my sf52 and other speakers. It is between pioneer VSX-823K or denon 1000 or marantz...

Marantz is the winner. Though it may seem to pack more features above the two. but finally quality is what matters and prefer marantz over denon and pioneer as it has a correct balance for music as well as movies. BTW 1504 is available at fairdeal electronics in mumbai for very good price. You can contact them for more details. google it amd you will get details

Thanks. Do they ship to Bangalore? I was in doubt if marantz can drive the floor standers and surrounds with sw.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back