Vu 50" UHD 4K Iconium TV - Impressions

SatMumbai

I was contemplating to write in a new thread or to put a small write up in owner's thread. Luckily, I found myself some time to play with TV and night is still young so I thought why not I write a bit more?!

Preamble: We were visiting my parents in BLR for Diwali 2015 and decided to get them a bigger TV. There was a Flash Sale on Amazon for Diwali and so bought a Micromax 50" FHD based on some feedback from friends (for about 32K INR). However, the delivery of the the TV took it's sweet time and we ran out of our time in BLR. My parents are not tech savvy to put it in the most nicest way and so I wanted to save them the trouble of cross checking things. Tried to call up Micromax Service center but could not reach them for four continuous days and two days I waited for 45 min / day on phone line. Reading the other horror stories of damaged units being delivered and no response from the service center, I cancelled the order as the delivery was later than our stay.

Fast Forward - This is our next trip to BLR and now this time I felt I am more equipped to do the purchase. Given the budget range, I was still stuck with Micromax especially amazon based searches as I am kind of loyal to them given their super simple returns (just in case). Then found the 4K micromax for about 50K INR and I realized if I order way ahead then I can receive the TV which will eliminate the issue of handling the installation. And it so happened that Micromax 50K UHD does not get delivered to BLR! I got a bit furious but then remembered the good experience with Snapdeal when purchased the iPhones. So left the comfort of amazon and moved on snapdeal and subsequently flipkart and that is how I stumbled upon Vu TV. I vaguely remember seeing Vu TVs in some hotels in San Francisco but may be I am wrong. However the marketing material is enticing enough to warrant more reading on our favourite forum. Then things snowballed into purchase of this LEDN50K310X3D.

Delivery - I adjusted the delivery on Flipkart (which is a delight to order or schedule deliveries) to a date to match the day when I am in BLR. It was scheduled to deliver between 12.00 to 4.00 and it did get delivered with in that time frame. Then the installer called the same night and installed it the very next day. Installer did a very good job. We did not use the provided wall mount but chose to go for a swivel type mount and the installer charged 2000 INR for that. I would recommend this mount as it makes much simpler to access the rear ports

Packaging of the TV - It is packed pretty good like any other TVs and there is no surprise there. The packing says that it supports H.265 codec where as the website says H.264. Some pics of the box and labels are below here

2016-04-21%2B10.19.39.jpg

2016-04-21%2B10.20.09.jpg

2016-04-21%2B10.20.41.jpg

First Impressions

Unboxing - It felt the same way as a Sony or Toshiba TVs. Similar styrofoam and packing material. The box can be used for future transporting, if needed.

Build Quality - The TV has a very thin bezel and looks very stylish. The build quality is totally great for the price. But for any body who wants to draw parallels to Sony or Samsung, please do not. This is a budget TV and it shows, but only if you look closely. Otherwise it is a premium feel TV.

Picture Quality - Out of the box, I played 4K content with USB. It was good but not great. But then after some tuning of the picture setting and saturation controls, I was able to get it to my liking and now I am liking it very much. There are very many controls so you can tweak to your heart's content! The Panel looks uniform from centre till corners / edges but (I am sure you are waiting for this) the corners have a bit of dullness compared to the centre. It is as if there is some super slight vignetting going on. To be honest, I like it. I vignette my photos in processing at times to bring in the focus to centre. But for some one who wants the best from their TV, this could be a problem. Especially if you know it. Apart from that I could not pick up any thing on panel quality

Software - It has Opera Store and wi-fi with 802.11n which is awesome. Firmware was already up to date out of the box. This is a Smart TV, so I am told that I should be prepared for a bit loner start times. yes it takes a few seconds more to start than non smart TVs but it seems it is better than some android TVs (based on some reviews that I read). Yes, it is totally acceptable and normal. I have tried Youtube, works flawless even with 4k content. Used Plex but it did stutter on 1080p videos. Tried 4k with USB3 and it works brilliant.

Sound - It is quite loud for a LED TV and it is a huge improvement from Toshiba 32" (which you can expect). I do not think we need a Soundbar here and so a normal listener can manage with it

Remote works very well as well. I will update if I notice any thing out of normal. Please feel free to ask me questions about this model of Vu TV or my experience of this purchase. But otherwise for any general queries on Vu let us keep the Owner's thread alive (http://www.hifivision.com/television/56447-vu-tv-owners-thread.html)

Here are some more pics
2016-04-22%2B01.11.51.jpg

2016-04-22%2B01.13.06.jpg

2016-04-22%2B01.11.34.jpg

2016-04-22%2B01.11.51.jpg.jpg

2016-04-22%2B01.14.08.jpg

2016-04-22%2B01.14.49.jpg

2016-04-22%2B01.15.18.jpg

2016-04-22%2B01.16.00.jpg

Nice write up and it is always better to buy from Flipkart as you get 30 day replacement guarantee compared to 7-10 days with other websites.

Hi, how is the performance now! I am also thinking of buying Vu, Not sure if I should go for 4k vu or just stick to Vu HD. Please suggest?... Please share the review.

Really great writeup. I headed to this forum after reading your review on Flipkart. Even I am looking up to purchase this specific model. But I am confused between this model and LGs 40UF670T. Is the smart features any good on this VU TV. Also, how is the upscaling and overall quality while viewing SD channels? I am pretty new to this forum. Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Sent from my wx_na_wf using Tapatalk

Upscaling is below average I suggest for general tv viweing 4k tv are still not a good option. Better to get good PQ FHD tv.

Really great writeup. I headed to this forum after reading your review on Flipkart. Even I am looking up to purchase this specific model. But I am confused between this model and LGs 40UF670T. Is the smart features any good on this VU TV. Also, how is the upscaling and overall quality while viewing SD channels? I am pretty new to this forum. Your reply will be highly appreciated.

Sent from my wx_na_wf using Tapatalk
I do not know much about the LG but I am guessing it is a 40" TV. If so, the screen real estate is very important factor (40" vs 50"). I love the youtube dedicated button on Vu as it makes it so much simpler and you can use your smart phone to cast the screen entirely or use it as a keyboard. So, IMO, smart features are really good on Vu but if you will use them or not is up on the user. To me, upscaling is pretty decent but as HE-MAN suggests, this might not be the best out there. Personally, I am very happy with everything it delivery at that price point.

Hi, how is the performance now! I am also thinking of buying Vu, Not sure if I should go for 4k vu or just stick to Vu HD. Please suggest?... Please share the review.

I am very happy with the Picture Quality especially when I look at the price point you can get it. If the price difference is something that bothers, then may be FHD is easier than a UHD. I am coming from a different place with respect to price. I am used to seeing the upward 1 Lakh prices for 4K TVs and I am kind of lost with these prices. A friend of mine paid about 1.3L for a 55" 4K Samsung TV. When I look at these prices an additional price of 15K INR gives me FHD to UHD is more than bang for buck. But if some one starts at 30K INR price point and stretches to reach 35K INR for FHD and then a further 15K INR stretch to reach the UHD, then it might not make sense.
In the end, it all boils down to which perspective you are look at.

I do not know much about the LG but I am guessing it is a 40" TV. If so, the screen real estate is very important factor (40" vs 50"). I love the youtube dedicated button on Vu as it makes it so much simpler and you can use your smart phone to cast the screen entirely or use it as a keyboard. So, IMO, smart features are really good on Vu but if you will use them or not is up on the user. To me, upscaling is pretty decent but as HE-MAN suggests, this might not be the best out there. Personally, I am very happy with everything it delivery at that price point.
My earlier plan when was to actually buy a non-Smart 4K TV like the LG and then add a Smart TV box like the Nvidia Shield. But the reviews of this basic LG 4K TV are not that great. Thus the VU 50" option is very much tempting as compared to LG 40". I have actually been waiting for a long time for Xiaomi (Mi) TV to be launched here in India. Not sure when that day is gonna come. But I still have some time to make a decision. Would probably buy during some credit card offer or Flipkart sale.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

I just picked up a VU 65" Iconium 4K TV which has been delivered and I'm waiting on the installation that's been promised tomorrow. Where can I find some good 4K demos that I can download to put the TV through it's paces? Thanks in advance and sorry if it's a dumb question as I simply don't keep up with tech trends like I used to.

Congrats on your purchase mate. I have recently purchased 55" iconium 4k. Awesome TV.
Congrats on your purchase man. Please post some pictures especially wall mounting. Wanted to know if there is enough space for the cables on the rear with the included wall mount.

I just picked up a VU 65" Iconium 4K TV which has been delivered and I'm waiting on the installation that's been promised tomorrow. Where can I find some good 4K demos that I can download to put the TV through it's paces? Thanks in advance and sorry if it's a dumb question as I simply don't keep up with tech trends like I used to.
Congrats on your purchase. You can download 4K content either from torrents or download it from YouTube.

@satMumbai - Mate which wall mount stand you are using with this tv ?

It is some basic swivel wall mount brought by the installer. These installers are working with local electronics shops and tied up with flipkart. Though the installation is free but it is only free with the provided wall mount in the Vu box. This swivel version was the one the installer brought with himself. Ideally I would do a bit more research and buy the mount ahead and give the installer to use it but unfortunately I forgot about so went ahead with his option. It is not as robust as it should be but my experience with the the robust ones was not in India so I do not know what else is possible.

He charged 2000 INR for the swivel wall mount and he charged 2400 INR for another swivel mount to relocate the existing tv to another room and make it also a swivel mount installation. Normally this is expensive, but the quality of the work done by this guy is really good especially for Bangalore standards. So, we were fine with parting that kind of money.

I would suggest to have a swivel mount, be it any brand of TV. There is a 46" Toshiba in Mumbai and it is on flush mounted non swivel mount which gives a very good look as the TV is almost attached to wall but accessing the ports is always a pain.

Installation of electronic products from flipkart is done by Jeeves consumer services, a while back flipkart bought Jeeves services.

I am very happy with the Picture Quality especially when I look at the price point you can get it. If the price difference is something that bothers, then may be FHD is easier than a UHD. I am coming from a different place with respect to price. I am used to seeing the upward 1 Lakh prices for 4K TVs and I am kind of lost with these prices. A friend of mine paid about 1.3L for a 55" 4K Samsung TV. When I look at these prices an additional price of 15K INR gives me FHD to UHD is more than bang for buck. But if some one starts at 30K INR price point and stretches to reach 35K INR for FHD and then a further 15K INR stretch to reach the UHD, then it might not make sense.
In the end, it all boils down to which perspective you are look at.

Thanks Man!.. it just that there are so many contradictory reviews in the flipkart that make me confused. Sometime its difficult to make out if it's fake or real. As there are no display units anywhere.. it makes things more complex. Another thing I am worried about is the after sales support. Any comments?

Thanks Man!.. it just that there are so many contradictory reviews in the flipkart that make me confused. Sometime its difficult to make out if it's fake or real. As there are no display units anywhere.. it makes things more complex. Another thing I am worried about is the after sales support. Any comments?

You can check at this store in Banglore.
Vu Televisions

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back