Wall mount vs TV Stand for your HDTV

Vishal

What do FM's prefer - Wall mounting or using a TV Stand while installing their large (40'' +) HDTV's ?

What did their choice depend on - cost, civil work, ease of installation, children, aesthetics, better PQ etc etc ..? How has it affected their quality of viewing?

What do FM's prefer - Wall mounting or using a TV Stand while installing their large (40'' +) HDTV's ?

What did their choice depend on - cost, civil work, ease of installation, children, aesthetics, better PQ etc etc ..? How has it affected their quality of viewing?

Wall mounting/using TV stand is subject to the area and viewing angle in the room. I have a TV stand for my LG LED in the living room and the rack allows me to keep other equiments as well. I had this rack from our previous TV and hence continued with the same, the wall has been decorated and has photos, paintings etc on it so didn't want to disturb the decor, kept it on the stand 'main bhi khush, wife bhi khush' :yahoo:

Earlier 32" TV was on a stand. Had always wanted to wall mount but never got around to it! New 42" is wall mounted. Wall mount looks neater. Just my preference.

Thanks all.
The trade-off has been around:
a. Wall mount - Looks great, sleek IF one is able to hide the bunch of cables hanging from the TV
b. TV stand works nice if you have a lot of other AV equipment -i.e. BDP, AVR, PS3, STB etc ..

I have all the equipment listed in b. so am leaning towards a stand mount. I have a nice wood stand from Urban Ladder which can support the TV and other equip.

Wall mount users: Any other practical issue to consider before going for it?

Last edited:
Earlier 32" TV was on a stand. Had always wanted to wall mount but never got around to it! New 42" is wall mounted. Wall mount looks neater. Just my preference.

@Naturelover - i'm curious how do you manage cables and aesthetics with all that equipment and a wall mount TV? Have you invested in wall-sockets for speakers, power and cables?

Thanks all.

Wall mount users: Any other practical issue to consider before going for it?

Don't forget the safety. A desk mount tv runs the risk of tipping over by kids or earthquake. Use some kit to fasten the tv to the desk.

I prefer the proper TV Stand vs Wall mounts for bigger TVs.
TVs now look good nowadays.

I got 55 inch TV. Bought the wall mount for some 1800rs but returned it as I decided against wall mounting. But getting a proper low height TV stand in proper wood is a pain. Most TV stands in shops are for small TVs. TVs which extend a lot beyond don't look asthetically good, few inches is ok.

Finally I found a perfect TV stand from one of the furniture shops in Chennai, made of HDF good quality with enough space for receivers, center channel and couple of closed units for putting powersupply, transformer, etc. Made some extra holes in the back, and it looks good. Only problem is that the TV stand has a glass door in the front, removing it did not look good, so I just kept it, wherever I use receiver we just open it.

Hello friends

I'm new to this forum while roaming around saw this thread, just want to add my 2 cents.
I have a hobby of creating 3D models for home furnishing (ya, did 1 yr freelancing for a Chicago (IL) based home furnishing studio as well) I would suggest to go for wall mounts done by professionals only.
Now coming on to concerns shown over 'visible' cables - I would like to apprise that these days you will get good quality plastic liners (color of your choice) which will hide the cables and fully serviceable. Any electrician would do the fixing for 300-400 bucks.
Now coming on to the aesthetic part of wall mounting - Wall mounted LEDs are like art canvas on your wall which cannot be matched by desk stands. As well as more secure.

Thanks

@Naturelover - i'm curious how do you manage cables and aesthetics with all that equipment and a wall mount TV? Have you invested in wall-sockets for speakers, power and cables?

This is the new setup in the bedroom.
Made a 4" deep plywood box on the wall, ceiling to counter-top. Mounted the TV on the box. All 5A sockets are inside the box accessible through a shutter (below the TV) and the switches are on one side of the box. All cables for the electronics are routed through two openings behind the equipment. Cables for TV routed through one opening behind the TV.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ickt1847rwfuehu/qbtY3a9Zau

The equipment:
Panasonic 42E6D TV
Panasonic BD79 blu ray player
Tatasky HD+ set top box
Philips 3007 DVD player
Marantz M-CR503
Dali Zensor 1

An arrangement on similar lines in the living room for the HT is almost complete. Will post pics next week when the setup is fully ready.

Even I was exactly thinking about making such box from plywood+mica, but not 4", may be 2.5 inch or so.

Another alternative is to make it from Gypsum board, it will blend well with the wall but the mounting will have to be done from the wall.

Brilliant setup indeed!

This is the new setup in the bedroom.
Made a 4" deep plywood box on the wall, ceiling to counter-top. Mounted the TV on the box. All 5A sockets are inside the box accessible through a shutter (below the TV) and the switches are on one side of the box. All cables for the electronics are routed through two openings behind the equipment. Cables for TV routed through one opening behind the TV.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ickt1847rwfuehu/qbtY3a9Zau

The equipment:
Panasonic 42E6D TV
Panasonic BD79 blu ray player
Tatasky HD+ set top box
Philips 3007 DVD player
Marantz M-CR503
Dali Zensor 1

An arrangement on similar lines in the living room for the HT is almost complete. Will post pics next week when the setup is fully ready.

@Naturelover - i'm curious how do you manage cables and aesthetics with all that equipment and a wall mount TV? Have you invested in wall-sockets for speakers, power and cables?[/QREGARDING WALL vs TABLE TOP:i feel tv looks small wn wall mounted!but I did all my units wall mount as kid at home,secure,can pair with any floating stand below irrespective of tv size(I bought one from reliance living but disappointed with its quality with in 6months due to waer n tear).Also an other gadgets can be set up in the space meant for tv in floating stand lets say an AVR/a flower vase at the least to cover up the cable clutter.
MAINTAINING CABLES & ASTHETICS:i bought a cable organizer from MX.got it from Chennai though cheap alternatives from MX also available locally.Do check MX cables website for further info.I would suggest robot cable mesh from them which can be adjusted to any length and is of superb quality.here's the link http://www.mdrelectronics.com/productdisplay.asp?PID=4087.All the best.

Always preferred stand based personally. If you have a nice console to keep the tv on, it looks good plus I can always turn the tv a bit towards whichever side I want so that viewing angle is straight

Great comments and very insightful too. I am surprised none of you have mentioned children as a reason to wall mount/stand mount.
I was reading a US based forum and a few people mentioned their kids pulling down a wall mount or playing with a stand mount .. :)

The link does not work.

you are right.just google MX CABLES and usually the very first search result will be the official site.MDR ELECTRONICS.there in product list click CABLE MANAGEMENT.there you will find ROBOT MESH.you can order online from there.but I found their online price is exuberant compared to retailers outside.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back