Wanna build an Audio Receiver with DSP....

ashokec

Hi Guys,

I am planning to make an audio receiver which can handle Dolbly 5.1 input through SPDIF and other stereo inputs. I'm gonna put a DSP in it.
I do not have experience in the hardware parts but I have experience in programming DSPs.

Has anybody worked on such systems?
I'm just in the ground zero now. I would be very happy to get all your suggestions and advice on it

Regards
Ashok

i dont think the dolby decoding can be done with hobby code.
also even if you experiment with china dolby cards only one thing you will end up with is blowing cash (consider
AVRs start at 14k or less)

Hi Kaushik,

It's not for a time pass.
I'm thinking of product which I can sell at least to my friends :)

As per my knowledge there are ICs available from reputed brands which decode a number of standards
eg: CS495xx Family : Multi-Standard 32-Bit Audio Decoder and Programmable DSPs

As well as there are open source codes available to decode many standards. Only thing is that if we are going to sell it in the market we have to get license from Dolby or DTS.

i dont think the dolby decoding can be done with hobby code.
also even if you experiment with china dolby cards only one thing you will end up with is blowing cash (consider
AVRs start at 14k or less)

you will get DSP chips all over the market but no code .dolby decoding dsp code will be only be available only Dolbylab partner companies.
Think why iball , intex dont make AVRs with dolby , DTS

As per as selling is concerned making a 2.1speaker with good dsp engine @t a comfortable price point itself is very very difficult. ( comments are not to discourage you but from my practical exp i am telling you)

Hi Guys,

I am planning to make an audio receiver which can handle Dolbly 5.1 input through SPDIF and other stereo inputs. I'm gonna put a DSP in it.
I do not have experience in the hardware parts but I have experience in programming DSPs.

Has anybody worked on such systems?
I'm just in the ground zero now. I would be very happy to get all your suggestions and advice on it

Regards
Ashok

Hi Ashok,
Its a good idea in theory i believe. Finding the DSP is one thing, you would require suitable DACs, ADCs, I/O Interfacing chips, memory chips etc etc to go along with it.

Having worked on a C5510 audio DSP by Texas Instruments, i can say, programming is gonna not easy either. But if you are one those genius coders, then WOHHOO, you might be able to do it. :eek:hyeah:

A better option would be to get a prototype board (with the DSP and external devices on it) and start coding on it.

Good Luck :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back