Want the same bass again

amit11

Hi Friends,

I have observed in my system after introducing tube buffer.
When the tubes are the stock tubes, the low end / bass is present.
When I put NOS Sylvania tubes, the low end goes away. So far ok.

I prefer the sound via the NOS tubes, but the only thing is less bass and punch. I had got used to that sound, so ok so far.

Now recently after putting Modi Multibit, I observed the same thing with those NOS tubes. So again ok so far.

However I started to shuffle the interconnects (Mogami plus normal RCA) with various permutations between the DAC, tube buffer and the amp. And suddenly one day to my surprise, there was lots and lots of low-end via those NOS tubes. This continued for two days.

Now suddenly the bass has gone and it sounding thin like it used to sound before. I have again tried all permutations in the chain but that same punch/bass is not coming.

I am not able to understand why in that period of two days suddenly the bass was there. Was it just a temporary DAC getting burn-in, or RCA connectors were connected properly that day, or the RCA wire/solder or the connection was in proper shape that day, the tubes were fitted properly that day, or some capacitance/inductance somewhere got corrected that day and bass was there. I would like to get that bass back but cannot figure out how to. :sad:

One thing to note is that my one RCA had got broken and had to be soldered again at one end just before those two days.

amit.

Last edited:
How does the bass sound without the tube buffer ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bass is very much there without the tube buffer.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Try changing room characteristics by +/- cushions pillows, etc. Also try changing toe in of the speakers and distance of speakers from rear wall. And ensure tight fit of all connectors. Such changes have made a bigger difference for me than change in components. Otherwise, your selection of components is ideal to give you good tight bass.

Best wishes

Speaker position etc all remains same . Surprising thing is that the NOS tubes were sounding thin ever since from day1. That was around four months back till today. Just five days back, and that too only for two days they were sounding with good bass. What had caused that remains mystery for me

Speaker position etc all remains same . Surprising thing is that the NOS tubes were sounding thin ever since from day1. That was around four months back till today. Just five days back, and that too only for two days they were sounding with good bass. What had caused that remains mystery for me

what do you mean by good bass.. can you describe it ? is it about being low and clear ( ie you can hear a Double bass strings and its envelope clearly) or you get the thump and kick ie the SPL

also what are the two tubes you are comparing ?

Do remember in most cases the Tube buffer is nothing but cosmetic and what you are hearing is a controlled distortion of the true sound to make it sound better ( not necessarily real)

Only time it is essentially musically is when the Source does not have the ability to handle the input impedance of the amp..which may not be an issue with your system.

By good bass i mean the quantity of bass. One of the tubes is NOS sylvania and other is the stock tube which cones with Yaqin buffer. My point is that everything in the chain remained the same yet those two days the bass was present instead of no presence.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

when i replaced my Chinese tubes with NOS Russian, all my boom bass went away in the first swap. After some tube break-in i could get all the details back in my music minus the boom bass and i enjoy it this way. Better NOS tubes are known to remove the bass boom you would otherwise find in Chinese tubes imo.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back