Want to set up a HT,both for music & movie. My budget is Rs.2Lakhs. I can stretch a little if needed.

I am from Kolkata. Recently I bought a LG C9 65” Oled tv. I also have Bose Soundtouch300 soundbar with two wireless rear speakers. Now I want to set up a decent Home Theatre system which provide me good movie experience & also soothing music to ear. I initially thought of Q Acoustics 3050i cinema pack for both purposes. Now rest of the system requirements i.e. AV/integrated stereo amp, cable,DAC(if needed) etc. There are many brands like Denon,Marantz,Pioneer,Yamaha,Onkyo etc which make me utterly confused. Cordially request the honourable members to chalk out for me a decent set up(Music+Movie). My budget is Rs.2Lakhs,I can stretch a little if required. My living room size is 17.5/11.5 . N.B. though I am not a heavy bass lover,don’t like rock,pop music. I want clarity with neutral sound which pleases both ear and soul. Thanks for your patience for reading my humble article.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    837.3 KB · Views: 77
5.1.4 is possible in your room. You can also keep it simple with a 5.1 or 7.1 setup. Q-Acoustics 3050i without subwoofer should be around 80K and Marantz SR6013 should be around 80K. This is a tested combination.
If you want to be Frugal even Taga 606 V3/SE editions can be VFM. This will save you about 45-50K on speaker cost and they sound good.
Pioneer AJ series ~60K (FS52+ B22 + center) + Yamaha would also sound good.
Denon + Dali Zensor is again a popular combination (Dali + Marantz is also commonly used).
AVRs carry their own colour/sound signature. Marantz is warm, Yamaha has oomph, Denon is a bit dark etc. Budget AVRs are not neutral. Although neutral feels unbiased/ethical, not many actually like neutral. It takes a while to figure out if you really like neutral or not. I though I liked warm when i started but actually love bright.
Since you dont need bass, you can allocate SW budget to speaker cables, HDMI cable, A CD player, ceiling speakers (can be DIYed or JBL control one should suffice) per your priority.
Please try to audition as much as possible. There is a vibrant HFV community in Kolkata. Please reach out to them for auditions at home. Take time to spend your 2L.

I had a similar budget, similar dual need for music and movie, and room size when I started to shop around 8 months back. After lot of auditions, I finalized on 5.1 setup with Dali Zensor 5 floor standers, Dali E9 Sub, Dali Pico Vokal for center (had constraint on a small center), Focal Dome 2.0 for surround and Denon x1500h AVR, bought as a package for 1.8L. Very satisfied overall, except that if I could go back, I would probably replace Dali sub with a SVS SB-1000.

I would recommend Dali+Denon with the kind of budget you have. You can see my setup in my signature and I am very happy with it. As you have more budget than me, you can always add pair of good subs(from Bic America/SVS) to get ultimate movie experience. For music though, the 5.0 setup is more than efficient. Dali sound neutral and that is a boon.
You can ping me for further queries if you're interested in Dali setup.

I'd suggest you to visit Auditro in Park Street. The dealer here has almost all the brands available in India and will not try to make you purchase something based upon his profit margin. Auditro has the biggest and best setup for auditions in Kolkata. Make an informed decision - not an urgent one.

My budget is Rs.2Lakhs,I can stretch a little if required. My living room size is 17.5/11.5

Depending on if this is a dedicated space and If you use 11.5ft as your room width, you can do upto 7.2.4 set-up..

If you use 18.5ft as width of the room, then 5.2.4 would be a better choice.. Having more room width is good as you can space the L-C-R speakers in the room, also gives the ability to position surrounds away from ears..

Now I want to set up a decent Home Theatre system which provide me good movie experience & also soothing music to ear.

N.B. though I am not a heavy bass lover,don’t like rock,pop music. I want clarity with neutral sound which pleases both ear and soul.

You can do up to any two / dual subs in the room for a good low end in the room which is critical for movie watching..

Since you are from Kolkata, I suggest auditioning Sonodyne speakers with Marantz Amp.
For Subwoofer you can consider SVS/REL/XTZ. Since you prefer more clarity and tight bass (instead of deep bass) you can consider sealed subwoofers.
SVS and REL are slightly costly, so you may build step by step

I would suggest start with a 5.1 system.

AV Receiver - as many have suggested, Denon and Marantz are both reccomended. Denon is slightly cheaper for the same specs. Both are available online on HiFimart.

I have a Denon and am very happy with it. My last Denon AV receiver lasted 10 years without a problem, and I was then able to sell it at a decent price. I would reccomend a Denon X2500H or X2600H.

Speakers make a big difference in what the music sounds like. I would suggest that you try and audition as many as possible. Many good suggestions already - Dali, Q Acoustics etc. Couple of more to consider - Wharfedale and Polk.

You can audition Denon + Polk combo at ProFX.

My final suggestion - since music is important, buy proper bookshelf or floorstander speakers for fronts, and dont get tempted by tiny home thetre satellite speaker combos which look great but cant handle music.

Link to combo deal - Denon X2500H + Wharfedale Diamond 230 package for Rs 1.6 lacs

I would suggest start with a 5.1 system.

AV Receiver - as many have suggested, Denon and Marantz are both reccomended. Denon is slightly cheaper for the same specs. Both are available online on HiFimart.

I have a Denon and am very happy with it. My last Denon AV receiver lasted 10 years without a problem, and I was then able to sell it at a decent price. I would reccomend a Denon X2500H or X2600H.

Speakers make a big difference in what the music sounds like. I would suggest that you try and audition as many as possible. Many good suggestions already - Dali, Q Acoustics etc. Couple of more to consider - Wharfedale and Polk.

You can audition Denon + Polk combo at ProFX.

My final suggestion - since music is important, buy proper bookshelf or floorstander speakers for fronts, and dont get tempted by tiny home thetre satellite speaker combos which look great but cant handle music.

Link to combo deal - Denon X2500H + Wharfedale Diamond 230 package for Rs 1.6 lacs
Thanks for your dear suggestions

Check out hifimart, there are quite good deals available. Please bear in mind that for movies your setup needs to be different & for stereo different due to the difference in applications. However, if you go for a 2 channel setup, that might not give you the pleasure of 5.1 channel surround sound setup but you can live with it . I am pretty much happy with my stereo setup which also serves in movie watching.

I am from Kolkata. Recently I bought a LG C9 65” Oled tv. I also have Bose Soundtouch300 soundbar with two wireless rear speakers. Now I want to set up a decent Home Theatre system which provide me good movie experience & also soothing music to ear. I initially thought of Q Acoustics 3050i cinema pack for both purposes. Now rest of the system requirements i.e. AV/integrated stereo amp, cable,DAC(if needed) etc. There are many brands like Denon,Marantz,Pioneer,Yamaha,Onkyo etc which make me utterly confused. Cordially request the honourable members to chalk out for me a decent set up(Music+Movie). My budget is Rs.2Lakhs,I can stretch a little if required. My living room size is 17.5/11.5 . N.B. though I am not a heavy bass lover,don’t like rock,pop music. I want clarity with neutral sound which pleases both ear and soul. Thanks for your patience for reading my humble article.
1. Whether you like bass or not, for optimal movie experience you'd need a subwoofer
2. 5.2.4 is possible in your room, upgrade gradually if you have budget limitations
3. Since music is equally important for you, front floorstanders is a better investment
4. Considering the budget, Since you'd be driving mostly from AVR, buy speakers with good sensitivity like 89db or above, especially fronts
5. Keep some budget for basic room acoustics Thick carpet, first reflection points etc and Cables

I'd go with Marantz 6013 AVR which is decently powered, currently future proof and has option for adding power amps later. Look at auditioning Fyne Audio 302 Floorstanding speakers for fronts ( at 90db sensitive), F300 bookshelf for Surrounds and F300c for Center in the budget. F300 LCR for most channels, if You want discreet installation.
Upgrade with 2 subwoofer and 2 pairs of Atmos Speakers at a Later date. I was quite impressed with Fyne Signature recently; Dali, Polk, Taga & Qacoustics are other decent options. Add Power amplifier, later if required.

On stereo music side you can upgrade by adding a good Integrated amp, CD player / Streamer, a DAC etc at a later date. Audition whatever locally available and post your impressions here so others can you help you out with the actual sound signature you're looking for. Alternatively, you could get a good bargain by buying pre-owned stuff.

Last edited:
Immensely grateful for your insightful answer.....As I initially incliclined to Q Acoustics 3050i Cinema pack(5.1),placed order first week of this month,I have no option to cancel the order,as the dealer(AUDITROS,kolkata) informed me the the package is already custom clearance. So, my question is that Q Acoustics will disappoint me? Marantz 6013 will I go for?

Immensely grateful for your insightful answer.....As I initially incliclined to Q Acoustics 3050i Cinema pack(5.1),placed order first week of this month,I have no option to cancel the order,as the dealer(AUDITROS,kolkata) informed me the the package is already custom clearance. So, my question is that Q Acoustics will disappoint me? Marantz 6013 will I go for?
Q Acoustics wouldn't disappoint you. AFAIK, MZ Audio in Mumbai is the official distributor in India from whom rest of the dealers source. The dealer is trying to do a double bluff to prevent you from backing out.
Ask him to whatsapp the custom documents if that is the case. Ask him if he is sourcing from official distributor or elsewhere. It would be better to clarify if your warranty would be good, as you might not want to deal with smuggled goods. You need to call out his bluff and tell him that you cannot be taken for a ride. These guys need to be shown their place.

Informative post ... and very helpful to me at list cause planning for same 2lk budget range. I don't have that much big room though..

Avr- denon x2600h / marantz sr6013
QA - LR - 3050i
QA- C- 3090c
Focal - dome 2.0 for surround and hights..
later will go with sub svs sb1000...dnt have budget now..
Room size: 1200 cubic feet..
As I understand in last few months.. with out audition we should not buy ... sounds is very subjective to individuals..it may listening pressure for others but not for you..all brands are different with lot of unique or common features..but before taking if possible listen to them ..then go for it.. on my childhood days I was crazy for Bose ..but that time dnt have money to buy them..now when I am looking for a ht setup I audition acoustimass 10 speakers at chowringhee showroom Kolkata, frankly speaking dnt like them much... rather like b&w and focal speaker's at sollfege, so as per me before taking we should listen to them ...and let me know once u receive qa speakers..I think they will not disappoint u.. all the best..

Informative post ... and very helpful to me at list cause planning for same 2lk budget range. I don't have that much big room though..

QA - LR - 3050i
QA- C- 3090c
As I understand in last few months.. with out audition we should not buy ... sounds is very subjective to individuals..it may listening pressure for others but not for you..all brands are different with lot of unique or common features..but before taking if possible listen to them ..then go for it.. on my childhood days I was crazy for Bose ..but that time dnt have money to buy them..now when I am looking for a ht setup I audition acoustimass 10 speakers at chowringhee showroom Kolkata, frankly speaking dnt like them much... rather like b&w and focal speaker's at sollfege, so as per me before taking we should listen to them ...and let me know once u receive qa speakers..I think they will not disappoint u.. all the best..
Thank you brother.....

QA - LR - 3050i
QA- C- 3090c
Focal dome for Surrounds will cause change in tonality.
Is it a closed room or a space with openings? As open rooms needs more powerful subwoofers.

Focal dome for Surrounds will cause change in tonality.
Is it a closed room or a space with openings? As open rooms needs more powerful subwoofers.
Thank you.. it's a drawing room mate with two doors..can close both .. you mean focal dome will not match well with QA..? I have not audition them so asking

1. Whether you like bass or not, for optimal movie experience you'd need a subwoofer
2. 5.2.4 is possible in your room, upgrade gradually if you have budget limitations
3. Since music is equally important for you, front floorstanders is a better investment
4. Considering the budget, Since you'd be driving mostly from AVR, buy speakers with good sensitivity like 89db or above, especially fronts
5. Keep some budget for basic room acoustics Thick carpet, first reflection points etc and Cables

I'd go with Marantz 6013 AVR which is decently powered, currently future proof and has option for adding power amps later. Look at auditioning Fyne Audio 302 Floorstanding speakers for fronts ( at 90db sensitive), F300 bookshelf for Surrounds and F300c for Center in the budget. F300 LCR for most channels, if You want discreet installation.
Upgrade with 2 subwoofer and 2 pairs of Atmos Speakers at a Later date. I was quite impressed with Fyne Signature recently; Dali, Polk, Taga & Qacoustics are other decent options. Add Power amplifier, later if required.

On stereo music side you can upgrade by adding a good Integrated amp, CD player / Streamer, a DAC etc at a later date. Audition whatever locally available and post your impressions here so others can you help you out with the actual sound signature you're looking for. Alternatively, you could get a good bargain by buying pre-owned stuff.
Thanks for your insightful answer....I already ordered Q Acoustics 3050i cinema pack(5.1)

Could you pls share what is the price you were able to negotiate, and the outlet that you purchased from.
Thanks.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back