Wanted Integrated amplifier or a Dac/Pre-Power Amp setup within 40-50k

Jewel Basu Mallick

Hey Guys,

I am Jewel

I am a budding audiophile.

Need some guidance on picking up a proper Integrated amplifier or Pre-Power or Volume controlled Dac-Power Amp within 40K (Can go a bit above 40K)

I listen to all types of music and looking for a 2.0 desktop setup. Later I may add a sub. So a subwoofer output is a plus.

As for the speakers I may go with bookshelfs (preffered). May be Wharfdale 225s, Klipsch RP 600Ms.

Would love to audition as well. Don't know if it is at all possible in this lockdown.

Do help me guys!!!!

Hi Jewel,
As you have observed at the end of your post - audition. ...before buying anything you could go visit places/show rooms where you can listen to different speakers and amplifiers. Maybe also some (kind) local FMs who could demo their set ups and make suggestions so you can make good choices. The Corona virus epidemic is a bummer, but better to be patient rather than buy in haste and feel disappointed. On the other hand, the lockdown is a good opportunity to learn more about this hobby/ passion online. Enjoy the journey and the music

Do not buy your amp first. Pick the speakers you want first. Then find an amp that can do a decent job powering them. I would always suggest to buy used from HFV members for your speakers since that will give you max ROI.

You have the luxury to do that since you are starting from scratch.

If you are interested in Wharfedale Diamond 225 as you have stated in your post I have a pair for sale currently.

Do also consider Q Acoustics 3020i, Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Dali Zenzor 1/3 along with the ones you listed.

Another quick note: The Wharfedale and Klipsch are on two ends of the spectrum wrt sound - warm and non fatiguing vs more forward and exciting. You need to think through your listening habits (short spurts or long sessions) and what genres you like.

A pre power combo is an expensive route to begin with. As a FM has already noted, invest as much as you can on speakers first, and then an integrated amp.
This hobby cannot be rushed, and rewards those who are patient :)

Being a Marantz PM5005 + Wharfedale Diamond 220 user I recommend going for Wharfedale speakers and any Amp with Subwoofer output. Though I manage to connect a Subwoofer through High level In/out of Sub, sill I prefer dedicated Sub out from Amp.

I'm using Elac debut 2.0 b6.2 bookshelves with Denon pma 600ne.. Pretty satisfied with the setup.. Denon got a dedicated sub out too.. Got Yamaha ns sw300 sub to create a movie-ready small 2.1 setup..

Hey Guys,

I am Jewel

Need some guidance on picking up a proper Integrated amplifier or Pre-Power or Volume controlled Dac-Power Amp within 40K (Can go a bit above 40K)

Do help me guys!!!!

Within that budget and based on your requirements I would recommend NAD D 3020 which is a dac, preamp, amp with many inputs and dedicated subwoofer output.

But honestly I consider it as a toy in the world of hifi.

Hey Guys,

I am Jewel

I listen to all types of music and looking for a 2.0 desktop setup. Later I may add a sub. So a subwoofer output is a plus.

As for the speakers I may go with bookshelfs (preffered). May be Wharfdale 225s, Klipsch RP 600Ms.

Would love to audition as well. Don't know if it is at all possible in this lockdown.

Do help me guys!!!!
Consider Yamaha stereo amplifier and JBL stage speakers..
Whichever model falls in your budget.

With tone controls on the Yamaha amp you can set tonality as per your preference..

Good luck.

Within that budget and based on your requirements I would recommend NAD D 3020 which is a dac, preamp, amp with many inputs and dedicated subwoofer output.

But honestly I consider it as a toy in the world of hifi.
Hi Rsjaurr, Jewel,
i would recommend adding this to the search list too.
I have the NAD D3020 as a second system since 4 years and use it with a pair of B&W DM600 s3. For near field listening and in small rooms its a pleasure to listen to this combination. This amp looks unconventional and is small (toy like?) and it may not look “seriously audiophile“ if you are particular about appearance. It is heavy for its size and does a lot of things well. I think it’s audio performance is high enough to make it a serious consideration for small listening spaces, with decent easy to drive bookshelves. I heard there is a V2 and a more powerful version (5020?) with the same (toylike)form factor. when I bought it it was $500.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for all the great suggestions. Really appreciate it!!

I am going the audition route as of now and patiently waiting till the pandemic eases out a bit.

Also I am wondering as it is desktop setup, accomodating big sized amps can be an issue.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back