• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted usb cable for dac.

Audiolab 6000CDT Dedicated CD Transport

silking

I am looking for usb A to B cable (pro 1m) for use with my lap to dac.If anybody have one to spare , let me know.My budget is 5k. Thank you.

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

Thad E Ginathom

Is it USB powered? If so then there is a good chance that cables can matter. The world of cell phones has taught me that, and I am now buying Aukey cables as they have larger power-carrying cables, whereas many of the cheapo every-day USB cables are not even to spec on that front.

Does it sound any better? Well... I dunno... I was listening to a combination of my Moto X Play phone, GO450 DAC and HD600s yesterday and it sounded pretty damned good. The phone gets charged with an Aukey cable, so maybe those electrons do know something :lol:

But seriously, if I use a USB-powered DAC again, I will use one of these cables. So y'all can laugh at how I became a cable guy :)

Last edited:

silking

Is it USB powered? If so then there is a good chance that cables can matter. The world of cell phones has taught me that, and I am now buying Aukey cables as they have larger power-carrying cables, whereas many of the cheapo every-day USB cables are not even to spec on that front.

Does it sound any better? Well... I dunno... I was listening to a combination of my Moto X Play phone, GO450 DAC and HD600s yesterday and it sounded pretty damned good. The phone gets charged with an Aukey cable, so maybe those electrons do know something :lol:

But seriously, if I use a USB-powered DAC again, I will use one of these cables. So y'all can laugh at how I became a cable guy :)
Thank you .Yes I use dac with separate power supply.Is it better to use usb cable for data only.i.e It will not supply power to dac.

raghupb

Thank you .Yes I use dac with separate power supply.Is it better to use usb cable for data only.i.e It will not supply power to dac.

Then a normal A/B USB cable should do. Noise issues bleeding via laptop (if any) is already mitigated because DAC is externally powered.
What cable are you using now, and do you find it noisy/underperforming?

Cheers,
Raghu

raghupb

Hmmm
It is a hack worthy of trying. I should have a couple of cables lying around.
Need to steady my hands and train my eyes back to HW engg days though.

Last edited:

silking

Then a normal A/B USB cable should do. Noise issues bleeding via laptop (if any) is already mitigated because DAC is externally powered.
What cable are you using now, and do you find it noisy/underperforming?

Cheers,
Raghu

Now I'm using usb printer cable.I expect some improvement in sound quality over this by using audio grade usb cable.

raghupb

If your printer cable is old, check if it is USB1.0 or frayed. Nowadays you get USB 2.0 A/B cables very modestly priced.
USB uses diff signalling, so stuff like ground bounce is not there.
The only culprit can USB power. For an externally powered DAC, power isolation is somewhat guaranteed by design.
If the DAC has re-clocking (most do these days), then jitter is also addressed to an extant.

My DAC costs 10K with external power, so a Rs. 200 cable is good enough. I follow "don't spend more than 5% of the cost the system on cables and ICs".
But I am an "el cheapo"; the kind that makes speaker cables out of electrical wire. Cable debates are endless and I usually don't participate in them.
Do a bit more reading on the web about audiophile USB cables and make an informed decision.

Cheers,
Raghu

Last edited:

Thad E Ginathom

Now I'm using usb printer cable.I expect some improvement in sound quality over this by using audio grade usb cable.

My other favourite USB audio cable: The Archemago C :cool:. It might make you rethink your expectation!

Unless you have an actual problem. You can find other stuff on Archimago's excellent blog about actual USB noise and how it can be stopped. One can even achieve electrical isolation using an optical USB cable! When I first heard that one, I thought it was a joke, but no, if you need isolation, then you need it.

a Rs. 200 cable is good enough

haha, I must be becoming a cable guy, with this one at Rs.500! But I didn't actually buy it for audio: I bought it to reach from the plugged-in phone charger to the other (my) side of the bed! But hey, if I ever did put a USB-powered DAC there, at least it wouldn't be gasping for power.

raghupb

My other favourite USB audio cable: The Archemago C :cool:. It might make you rethink your expectation!

Unless you have an actual problem. You can find other stuff on Archimago's excellent blog about actual USB noise and how it can be stopped. One can even achieve electrical isolation using an optical USB cable! When I first heard that one, I thought it was a joke, but no, if you need isolation, then you need it.

haha, I must be becoming a cable guy, with this one at Rs.500! But I didn't actually buy it for audio: I bought it to reach from the plugged-in phone charger to the other (my) side of the bed! But hey, if I ever did put a USB-powered DAC there, at least it wouldn't be gasping for power.

Aha. Now I make the connection. Always wondered about your handle's relevance on the "vroom" forum (T-BHP). Totally apt for this forum.

You bought the USB/microUSB for your smartphone, it is totally justified. These devices are too smart for their own good.
Some cables charge, some cables charge and sync, some claim to have defibrillators to bring dead batteries to life.
Cable construction really matters on the dinky end; the one that gets plugged into and out of the phone. If badly constructed, it will fray or just plain snap.
If it happens when you are out of the house or town and your device went battery dead, panic will grip you and you won't remember your wife's number.
So a good USB cable for charging is an absolute must; no compormises.

Cheers,
Raghu

silking

I have received some offers.Hi, guys anybody have experienced difference in SQ with usb digital cable?.Thank you.

firearm12

Definitely I have heard differences, the stock cable that came with my Audio-gd DAC-19 sounds better than any usb cable I tried. Its not just subtle but quite substantial difference for me. It looks cheap but it sounds better and it has a ferrite bead at the DAC end. I was shocked when I first realized the sound difference but its definetely there.

I have received some offers.Hi, guys anybody have experienced difference in SQ with usb digital cable?.Thank you.

silking

Hi, thanks all for your inputs.l got a decent usb digital cable from a reputed FM.Thank you Hifivision!.