• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Watt meter for power consumption

Wharfedale Diamond 12 Series

Neeraj0272

Friends
I always had the curiosity to know which appliance is consuming how much electricity at its various states of use. Also I saw some threads enquiring about such devices like kill a watt which are unfortunately available for only 110v.
So recently I ordered and received the following device from amazon.de for euro 15.
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B000NINVAK/?tag=-k-21
It gives the instantaneous, maximum and total wattage. Also you can set a tariff and then it gives you projections for daily, monthly and yearly expense for a particularly appliance.
My observations for 2-3 appliances;
1. Nad c326 - powers up at around 30 watts, then after warming up idles at 50w. Touches 100w at 10 o clock position which is almost unbearable in a 12*12 room. 55w for general listening volume.
2. My full automatic espresso machine - daily expense is rs. 2 only( 6 espresso and 2 cappuccinos). Peak wattage is 1692w.
3. Usb hdd attached to squeezebox touch- 2w at sleep mode. 8w while listening to music. This is for hdd only.
will post data for my pc, squeezebox touch, plasma tv, denon 1910 etc. later.

Last edited:

mgdelhi

This item can not be shipped to the destination of your choice.

Maybe Amazon has finished their stock and now it is sold by third party vendor.

sbg

I tried DIY power meter long time back - (based on some tutorials/Blog online)
but still would like to have one.

Neeraj0272

This item can not be shipped to the destination of your choice.

Maybe Amazon has finished their stock and now it is sold by third party vendor.
I have updated the link where amazon is also selling it. there are also other brands available.

Neeraj0272

I tried DIY power meter long time back - (based on some tutorials/Blog online)
but still would like to have one.
well its the type of toy/thing which until you use it yourself your curiosity would not die so I think interested member should get one.

Moviela

... My full automatic espresso machine - daily expense is rs. 2 only( 6 espresso and 2 cappuccinos). Peak wattage is 1692w.

Full Automatic?

Does it consume the coffee too?:lol:

Most of the products we buy have a label that states the expected power consumption, and a sharp pencil can compute the costs per Kwh.

Neeraj0272

Most of the products we buy have a label that states the expected power consumption, and a sharp pencil can compute the costs per Kwh.

I think most products state their standby and maximum rated power. with this you can see the actual consumption at the products' various state of energy use .
in the case of my amp , manual states that at idle it uses 30w whereas i have measured it to be 30w in the beginning and after a little warming up , it is 50w at idle. while listening to music it goes upto 100w at high volume and fluctuates with in range of 20w.
In the case of espresso machine I was surprised to see the running cost of only Rs. 2 daily as i thought it to be much higher.
I have only rough idea about my pc consuming about 100w and my plasma tv about 300w. however with this i will come to know the exact consumption.

Thad E Ginathom

My APC UPS tells me, via software monitoring, how much is being consumed. Currently, PC, modem, router, monitor, desk lamp, total 132w.

I have a multimeter which will read out amps, from which, knowing the V, the W could be determined. The trouble with this is that the the claw has to be put around one conductor only, and almost all power leads have both enclosed together in an outer insulation. I have sometimes thought to make a short extension lead for testing, with two separate cables between plug and socket. Have never got around to it.

thatguy

I have a multimeter which will read out amps, from which, knowing the V, the W could be determined. The trouble with this is that the the claw has to be put around one conductor only, and almost all power leads have both enclosed together in an outer insulation. I have sometimes thought to make a short extension lead for testing, with two separate cables between plug and socket. Have never got around to it.

Multiplying V and I works for DC. Measuring AC is a difficult because it involves calculating the phase difference between the voltage and current.

Last year, I tried to get a power meter made by an intern at work. After a few months of tinkering, the device he made could measure the power of DC loads quite accurately (we do use DC for some machines in our labs). It had a LCD display and drew power from the mains. When the time came to add AC support, the company had made him an offer and they wanted him to do some real work :)

For those who are interested, here are two DIY power meter projects:

EnerJar | The DIY power meter
PowerBox: The Safe AC Power Meter

We had used a AtMega32 board. You get them for about Rs 250 in SP road.

Another thing, I don't know if Kill-A-Watt draws it's own power from the mains, but you must think carefully if you want to do that. When you are measuring very small voltages, even the few milli-amps that the micro-controller will draw can change the reading. We wasted a lot of time trying to fix that. It would be much simpler to just throw in a few AA cells.

Last edited:

Neeraj0272

Multiplying V and I works for DC. Measuring AC is a difficult because it involves calculating the phase difference between the voltage and current.

Last year, I tried to get a power meter made by an intern at work. After a few months of tinkering, the device he made could measure the power of DC loads quite accurately (we do use DC for some machines in our labs). It had a LCD display and drew power from the mains. When the time came to add AC support, the company had made him an offer and they wanted him to do some real work :)

For those who are interested, here are two DIY power meter projects:

EnerJar | The DIY power meter
PowerBox: The Safe AC Power Meter

We had used a AtMega32 board. You get them for about Rs 250 in SP road.

Another thing, I don't know if Kill-A-Watt draws it's own power from the mains, but you must think carefully if you want to do that. When you are measuring very small voltages, even the few milli-amps that the micro-controller will draw can change the reading. We wasted a lot of time trying to fix that. It would be much simpler to just throw in a few AA cells.
Technoline one has button cells so it retains its display and memory. I don't know if these cells help in the accuracy.
They claim to be very accurate but also say understandably that it is not approved for any use with electricity supplier.

Neeraj0272

Eagerly waiting for your results, especially the plasma tv.

There is a little problem in measuring plugs with 3 pins. This device has a european socket and it support only indian plugs with 2 pins. My plasma tv has 3 pins plug. I have to find a way around this.

Neeraj0272

Power consumption for squeezebox touch : max is 5w, normal is 3w.
So total for my music system at my normal listening volume is;
1. Sbt - 3w
2. Nad c326 - 55w
3. Usb hdd - 8w
Total = 66 w
66w is equal to a normal incandescent bulb so pretty economical.
Looking at another angle . Annual Running cost of equipment worth rs. 100000 @ 5 hours daily usage = 66*5*365= 120 kwh @ rs. 6 = rs. 720 only.

anm

my UPS (3kva online) shows 24% load on regular scene, but I saw the load surge up to 64% in a higly dynamic scene. I am still to get the subs I want.