WD TV Live Streaming Media Player (2011)

raj

On my recent trip to US, I bought this player from Amazon (WD TV Live). WD in a moment of very poor judgement decided to name this new player with the same name as an older one. But the box looks different from the older one.
This is my second media player (the other one being AC Ryan Playon HD that I bought a couple of years ago). I wanted a second player for my living room to play downloaded tv shows (mostly SD quality).
I connected it yesterday and played some HD media. It works quite well both over wireless and wired connections. It comes with bunch of services like Youtube, netflix etc. Some of them won't work outside of US (unless you sign up for a vpn service).
Anyway, the setup was straight forward (with a little bit of issue with network setup but was resolved after searching the solution online).
I am quite happy with this little player. I have not compared the video with that of AC Ryan. But I don't expect any major differences in the video quality. But UI is much better (which one should expect of a player that is two years newer).
The youtube videos it had very average to poor quality. Somehow, it chose Tamil soap video's from you tube as part of the entertainment pack in youtube.
IMO this is one more winner from WD.

I use a WD Media player live plus and am very happy with the quality. The FLAC/loseless formats playback sounds really good which is combined with my Denon.

I've also got one of these recently-the difference between the older model and this is the ethernet jack which the older model lacked. Works well so far.

What is the latest available price of this player in India. ebay is offering Rs. 7999 as lowest...

any further bargain can be expected?:cool:

I agree with Gurujee...I had a word with Mr. Reddy last month and as per him HM 900B is around 9K...

I am utterly confused to choose a new media player...features am looking for -

Should have a wi-fi connectivity (at-least network option)
Can download torrent directly from that device
can be purchased using my credit card

Can anybody kindly advise / help me to choose the right one...

Thank you

Amazon is offering this model with net cost of USD 117.04 (with Expedited International Shipping)

which means within 8-16 days it can be delivered in my place with just Rs. 5775.

have not tried amazon yet...any idea..does it takes 15 days to get delivered!!!!

Look forward for further advce....

Thank you

Amazon.com: Western Digital WD TV Live Streaming Media Player - WDBHG70000NBK-HESN: Electronics

The price will be coming to $130 after adding the excise duty... Still seems to be a good option.

The unit price suddenly gone up form USD 10 and accordingly the the other related factors has also been increased. Hope they will lower down the price again.

I bought it from Amazon on Feb 13th for $117.04. It was delivered on 17th by DHL. The courier guy told me that it's duty free delivery. So I am expecting a refund of $11.08 which, Amazon collected as Import Fees Deposit. Now the price has gone up by $10.

Justin

@Justinip - Great!...it took just 03 days to reach you....I was also planning to order it via amazon but as i have not purchased any thing before from amazon, i was feeling a little hesitant.

However how is the feedback of you player? Is it brand new box pack item?

i got this at Rs. 6800/- from amazon 1week back....but looking to sell it off

justin hw did u manage to get it at $117... i got it at 99 + duty + shipping...
did u get refund of import duty?

As per Amazon the price breakup is -

Items: $99.00
Shipping & Handling: $18.97
Total Before Tax: $117.97

Import Fees Deposit $12.34
Order Total: $130.31

Anybody got it in lower price in amazon.

I had bought it on Feb 13th. Just before they increased the price. Here is the breakup.

Item(s) Subtotal: $89.99
Shipping & Handling: $15.97
-----
Total Before Tax: $105.96
Sales Tax: $0.00
Import Fees Deposit $11.08
-----
Total for This Shipment: $117.04

Hi,

WD supports only DTS and DD for audio(not HD audio). If it is connected to an AVR that is capable of decoding HD Master Audio and the source mkv file also has HD MA, then can one get HD MA output(7.1)?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back