WDTV HDMI input is not recognized by Samsung Plasma TV

samvijay

Hi Guys,

I bought WDTV Live 5-6 months back and HDMI cable about a month back, since then I am trying to play media thorough HDMI in TV it displays message "Source not connected/recognized". mine is Samsung plasma tv

I tried various things like switching off/on the WDTV and TV.
Disconnecting and connecting back the HDMI cable etc..

Please let me know if you have come across this problem or have any idea

Thanks
samvijay

Did u try WDTV->Samsung connection with a different HDMI cable? Have u connected the same cable to another device with HDMI input to rule out the point that it might be faulty?

Hi Guys,

I bought WDTV Live 5-6 months back and HDMI cable about a month back, since then I am trying to play media thorough HDMI in TV it displays message "Source not connected/recognized". mine is Samsung plasma tv

I tried various things like switching off/on the WDTV and TV.
Disconnecting and connecting back the HDMI cable etc..

Please let me know if you have come across this problem or have any idea

Thanks
samvijay

What have you ste the output to in WDTV ?
You need to set it to HDMI.

Did u try WDTV->Samsung connection with a different HDMI cable? Have u connected the same cable to another device with HDMI input to rule out the point that it might be faulty?

Thanks Imrahn, I have only one HDMI cable and only one HDMI sourece (i.e WDTV), I will get one more cable this weekend any see is it a faulty cable issue

Last edited:
You can go to service menu of TV and disable "HDMI Hotplug" feature. This resolves quite a few HDMI issues.

Downside is, if you connect any HDMI device (while the TV is on), TV would not see it until you power the TV off and turn it on again.

Is your Plasma full HD or HD ready? If HD ready, you can also try changing the WD output to 720p rather than having it HDMI (auto).

Just saw this thread.

I use my WDTV (Gen 1) via HDMI with a Samsung LCD. Initially I experienced the same issues you did. Then I figured out that there were 2 ways of making sure the problem does not happen:

1) Switch WDTV on first, wait for 2-3 secs and then switch the TV on.

OR

2) Keep the TV in AV mode (or any other mode other than HDMI) and then switch on WDTV. Wait for 3-5 secs and then switch TV to HDMI mode.

Both these methods work for me :)

samvijay,

Any luck with the HDMI output?
I have run into the same issue with my Panasonic Plasma. Have been using for more than 8 months, then last week it just stopped. Tried with different sets of HDMI cables with out much luck.

I find a lot of similar issues over the net, then do not see any sure shot solutions other than cutting a 1-2 mm of the HDMI cable!!!

hmm strange, do you know any reason to cut the cable? & how do you plan to fix it back?

If its not working with the other HDMI cables you have tried then how do you expect that it would work when the cable is cut?

Have been using for more than 8 months, then last week it just stopped.

Given that its just 8 months into usage, it would be in warranty. Did you try that channel?

And did you try with different devices. Issue might be with source device itself.

Sorry I am making this thread active after long time.

I tried various options even my friends expertise!!! failed to resolve the issue:eek:

Finally contacted Samsung support as my TV is still in warranty period they told me that Samsung TVs support ONLY HDMI 1.3 version, i think my cable supports 1.1 or 1.2 not sure

My question to fellow members is

1. Is Samsung support guy is correct in saying that their TVs support ONLY HDMI 1.3?

2. How do I know which version of HDMI is supported by my HDMI cable (because I don't see any version on it, also I don't have the package of the HDMI cable, probably that would have contained the supported version)

Sorry I am making this thread active after long time.

I tried various options even my friends expertise!!! failed to resolve the issue:eek:

Finally contacted Samsung support as my TV is still in warranty period they told me that Samsung TVs support ONLY HDMI 1.3 version, i think my cable supports 1.1 or 1.2 not sure

My question to fellow members is

1. Is Samsung support guy is correct in saying that their TVs support ONLY HDMI 1.3?

2. How do I know which version of HDMI is supported by my HDMI cable (because I don't see any version on it, also I don't have the package of the HDMI cable, probably that would have contained the supported version)

Easiest thing would be to get an inexpensive new cable and test it out (you can never have too many HDMI cables - you will put them to use one time or the other :) )

FYI -
Cables are not HDMI 1.2 , 1.3 ,1.4 or any other version number , they are Category 1 or Category 2 , and with the latest HDMI 1.4 electronics they are Category 1 or Category 2 with ethernet.
They get Category ratings based on a throughput test. Thats all. When it comes down to it , they are just wires and as long as they make good connections they should work.

Easiest thing would be to get an inexpensive new cable and test it out (you can never have too many HDMI cables - you will put them to use one time or the other :) )

FYI -
Cables are not HDMI 1.2 , 1.3 ,1.4 or any other version number , they are Category 1 or Category 2 , and with the latest HDMI 1.4 electronics they are Category 1 or Category 2 with ethernet.
They get Category ratings based on a throughput test. Thats all. When it comes down to it , they are just wires and as long as they make good connections they should work.

So you mean to say the Samsung support guy is telling lies?

guys if you have multiple hdmi ports.. please try checking all of them while keeping the wdtv on. as sometimes.. TV does takes the hdmi input as pc HDMI input and it switches automatically..

in my case if i connect hdmi 3( listed on tv) to xtreamer .. it works fine.. but same cable if i connect to laptop it takes input in hdmi 2.. however no changes in physical setup..

so please verify all the hdmi ports...

keep the wdtv on and try all the ports using the remote of ur tv.. and give say 5-7 sec of each one of them to detect the signal... physically we can have cable but as the devices change the virtual address changes from one port to another ..

as one hdmi port is always as a pc port ( dvi to hdmi)

So you mean to say the Samsung support guy is telling lies?

I don't know what he actually meant - maybe he was referring to the differences in HDMI implementation in the WD media player and the TV !

BTW did you try with the composite input from the WD TV? Does that work?
Are you able to connect the same HDMI cable to any two other devices and have it work?

Have you updated to the latest firmware on both the TV and WDTV?

buddy please try the steps i mentioned.. see if they help..

also what samsung guy told you is insanely wrong..

every new technology that comes is backward compatible.. 1.3 have got more bandwidth than 1.2 an 1.1 respectively.. so that's like a homour statement that he said.

imagine we are moving to 1.4 and you connect a 1.3 will it not work.. it will work for sure just that some movies will need 1.4 for 3d will not work as not enough bandwidth..

but it will be for sure backward compatible.. usb and wifi and ir and blouetooth are all backward compatible to all older versions.. and its a hdmi slot that has a firmware of its own which is not developed by samsung.. practically they cannot lock the version of hdmui cable to be used..

Back