Wdtv live files get converted to empty folders.

pradeepkamat

I am using wdtv live for last several years with no problems so far. But recently I have observed that some files ( audio or video and especially playlists) get converted to folders with same title and with same file extention & these folder are empty.

I suspect this started after upgrading the firmware to VERSION: 1.06.43_V

Any one on the forums had this problem? How to solve it? Will rollback to previous version of firmware help?

Looks like folder virus in the HDD. Have u connected it to windows system any time recently.

Either use anti virus by connecting again to windows system.

Yes, I often connect wdtv to PC via wired network to transfer files from PC to HDD connected to wdtv. I have quickheal internet security installed on my PC.
I will scan the HDD as per your suggestion and let us see what happens.

Yes I have the same problem of files getting converted into folders.

It happens randomly and happens only on the HDD connected to WD. It does not happen on other HDDs or on files in my Laptop. So do not think its a virus- BTW I have AVG (paid version) running on my Laptop which I keep uptodate.
It's not a HDD problem either as this happened on two separate HDDs connected to WD
Other characteristics of the converted folders

A) these folders can not be deleted and the windows returns a message too large to delete. Check of properties give 0 bytes folder size.
B) these folders can not be copied or moved. So if they are in a main folder the main folder can not be copied at one go.

Yes I have the same problem of files getting converted into folders.

It happens randomly and happens only on the HDD connected to WD. It does not happen on other HDDs or on files in my Laptop. So do not think its a virus- BTW I have AVG (paid version) running on my Laptop which I keep uptodate.
It's not a HDD problem either as this happened on two separate HDDs connected to WD
Other characteristics of the converted folders

A) these folders can not be deleted and the windows returns a message too large to delete. Check of properties give 0 bytes folder size.
B) these folders can not be copied or moved. So if they are in a main folder the main folder can not be copied at one go.

What firmware version are you using? Have you resolved the problem and how?
I am able to delete the folders.
Any way to recover the folders ?
The playlist files are most vulnerable.i.e. m3u & pls.

What firmware version are you using? Have you resolved the problem and how?
I am able to delete the folders.
Any way to recover the folders ?
The playlist files are most vulnerable.i.e. m3u & pls.

Version 1.06.43-V ( Mine is an old one - 1st or 2nd gen )
No - I have not found a solution - nor was I able to recover the files.
Not only media files - the same thing happened to my backup office files.

I found another programme to fix the problem.

EGGCentric - Fix WD Folders

Downloaded & used the fix. All types of files including playlist recovered back.

It is ok, I recovered my files but what if wd again corrupts the files?
Roll back to previous stable version of firmware, appears to be the answer.
I have searched many forums and this problem was reported long back to WD but no answer from Wd !

After repeated corruption of files, I rolled back the firmware to Version 1.06.15_V. This has solved the problem of files getting corrupted.
But now my mp4, AVI & flv files are not playing. Only DAT & Mpeg are playing.

After repeated corruption of files, I rolled back the firmware to Version 1.06.15_V. This has solved the problem of files getting corrupted.
But now my mp4, AVI & flv files are not playing. Only DAT & Mpeg are playing.

There is small correction in my statement i.e. "Some mp4,AVI & flv are not playing." Most of the files play o.k.

In the mean time there was a call from WD customer care to get information about the problem, a week ago.

It is a good sign that WD is taking interest to solve the problem.
Hope to get feedback soon !

So far the best available firmware is 1.06.15_V only, me too had similar problem, rolled back the fw to solve it forever...

1. remove harddisk from wd ..no need to format ...
2. switch on ur pc install smadav antivirus..Smadav 2015 - Smadav Antivirus
3. do short scan of ur pc, then restart pc
4. now connect ur wdhard disk...scan using smadav
5.just hit fix all...ur hard disk will now show folders with files
6.reset wd live..update ..
7.now connect ur hard drive ....enjoy...

s.n...this error is due to shortcut virus..thats what i call...it sits in ur pc, doesn't affect pc but any external disk/pen drive gets affected ..it removes shell/ext. rename the files to shortcut..this shortcut not detect by media players even windows but smadav reoves and rename ..thus ur file returns back

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back