We set the crossover to 80hz in AVR. Why should we bother what low frequency the speakers can produce ??

Naveenbnc

Hello all...

We set the crossover as 80hz in AVR. That means, it is not sending any frequencies below 80hz to speakers.

In that case, why should we bother if the speakers go down to 50hz or 40hz??

Lets say for example, Speakers that can go down to 40hz are slightly expensive, have bigger cabinet etc.

On the other hand, speakers that can go down to 50hz has smaller cabinet and less expensive. But how does it matter? (Assuming same brand and same drivers used)

Asking for learning. Any suggestions please ???

Just a brief ,
imo for HT person,
As you know taste differs from person to person.
If you are listening for stereo music in pure stereo mode where your sub wont be active according to your upmix/downmix selection and you will end up expecting performance only from FL & FR.In that case you might need full range freq output from front channels that is where most of the Audiophiles prefer for full range with dedicated setup for stereo listing without sub.afaik.
Most of the stereophile don't use sub they don't want to alter the sound by any means imo.

Hope I understood it question.i believe I didn't give wrong info here.Attached image and link gives better idea
Audio Spectrum

Attachments

• main_chart.jpg
    main_chart.jpg
    526.4 KB · Views: 17
Also 80hz is just a reference starting point. It’s not a rule. You can go higher or lower depending on the quality of the speakers and the sub.

Thank you very much Kalyan and Celester...

I guessed the point that ....when the sub is not used, it always helps to get speakers that can go as low as possible. Thanks for confirming the same.

If the speakers can't go low, and sub is absent, the setup may sound incomplete. Hope my guess is right.

Secondly, the sound signature of the bass coming from the speakers can be different from the bass from the sub.

Actually, to be specific with an example, this question came up while trying to decide between Taga Platinum C100 vs Platinum C90SL.

I use a sub. And trying to guess in what way C100 is superior to C90SL. It can go louder for sure. Apart from that, is it only in the bass the C100 is better? Or ... The mids and highs also sound better. Or does it sound more dynamic and punchy.

(I may not buy either of them. I'm waiting for a different model, but asking for learning)

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/centre-channel/taga-harmony-platinum-c-90-sl-center-speaker.html

https://www.hifimart.com/speakers/centre-channel/taga-harmony-platinum-c-100-center-speaker.html

Actually our elangoas already clarified my dout. But kind of addicted to this forum and can't sit quite :p:p

Hello all...

We set the crossover as 80hz in AVR. That means, it is not sending any frequencies below 80hz to speakers.

Lets say for example, Speakers that can go down to 40hz are slightly expensive, have bigger cabinet etc.

On the other hand, speakers that can go down to 50hz has smaller cabinet and less expensive. But how does it matter? (Assuming same brand and same drivers used)

Asking for learning. Any suggestions please ???

Hello Navin,

Consider a HT set-up (not audiophile stereo):
I personally would prefer to have all my speaker to be exactly the same. This will help imaging, tonal quality, timbre, sensitivity, impedance and what not.
The AVR will also not get much chance to interfere to do corrections just because the speakers are different, thus passing the signal un-altered!
Having all the speakers as floor standing would be expensive and practically not feasible, especially in a living room, and for center and surround channels.
So, we are left with the other choice of going will all satellites and a subwoofer.

You are correct when you say that the satellites can be small and inexpensive as we can divert the power associated with direction insensitive bass from all the channels to the subwoofer.

Now, where do we set the crossover?
That depends on a few things: If your satellites can go down to 100Hz, set the crossover to about 120Hz. You can set it even higher at the cost of making you subwoofer 'visible.' That's all.

With such a set-up, now if you want to switch to Stereo, you can do so but in 2.1CH configuration and not 2.0CH.
Stereo will not sound bad or compromised in any way.

I hope that his covers all that you were looking into.

Regards,

Ravindra.

Thank you very much Ravindra, recently I learnt that having same speakers everywhere is a good set up. But don't know the exact reason. Your inputs gave clarity. Thanks a lot.

As you move upward on cutoff frequency for 5 speakers and feeding more to sub you are better utilising sub by releaving more load on AVR. That increase the headroom of the AVR which helps for better dynamics. You can push amplier little harder without distortion. Now you can achieve all this at the cost of weak surround sound field, more visible subwoofer, less surround stearing effects and non enjoyable movie experience. Bass management is one of the important factor of any home theater system. The more precisely you integrated sub with rest speakers will give you unforgettable movie watching and music listening experience.

Consider a HT set-up (not audiophile stereo):
I personally would prefer to have all my speaker to be exactly the same. This will help imaging, tonal quality, timbre, sensitivity, impedance and what not.
I have read that in so many places. Why, then, is the centre channel invariably dual driver? It's also rare to find a bookshelf or floorstander speaker sold singly to enable use as a centre channel identical to the fronts. This has always puzzled me.

Nope.. This will only matter if you will use 2.0 for stereo.. If you will be using subwoofer for stereo, either single (or) dual, then a speaker that will hit 40/50 Hz has no benefit IMO..

Why, then, is the centre channel invariably dual driver?

If any user were to use regular BS as center speaker below TV, then the height of the BS speaker can be an issue.. Hence horizontal (dual) drivers..

It's also rare to find a bookshelf or floorstander speaker sold singly to enable use as a centre channel identical to the fronts.

True.. We don't get them in India.. But BS speakers are aval as single piece in some places..

But, there are instances we can use BS for all channels.. Assuming, one is setting-up a 7.1 system, they can choose 3 pairs of BS and make a 6.1 system (with single surr back, instead of dual surr back)..

I have read that in so many places. Why, then, is the centre channel invariably dual driver? It's also rare to find a bookshelf or floorstander speaker sold singly to enable use as a centre channel identical to the fronts. This has always puzzled me.

Why not buy 5 x center channel speakers? :)
Problem solved!!

Regards,

Ravindra.

I read on another forum.. If the fronts are set to Small then the LFE is automatically down 10dB ...

Is this true ?

Why not buy 5 x center channel speakers? :)
Problem solved!!

Regards,

Ravindra.
5 center channels placed vertically will satisfy identical speakers requirement. Also it eliminates lobbing issue if any.

But is there any possibility that center channels are designed and optimized to work better in horizontal position ?? If that is true, will they work fine in vertical position is also a query.

In my personal case, i taught of buying 3 pieces of Taga LCR60SL. Stocks are unavailable. Second option is using three PLATINUM C100 s placed vertically. Not sure if this works fine. I hope it should work fine...

I read on another forum.. If the fronts are set to Small then the LFE is automatically down 10dB ...

Is this true ?

LFE is dedicated .1 channel, it has no context to fronts..Hope, you are referring to the bass meant for fronts, when routed to sub is down by 10 db?..

5 center channels placed vertically will satisfy identical speakers requirement.

Even small/ large BS speakers also will do for identical speakers..

Also it eliminates lobbing issue if any.

I too learned that Center channel speakers (MTM) when placed horizontally, are prone to lobing issues.. But if the same speaker is placed vertically, it is very minimal..

But is there any possibility that center channels are designed and optimized to work better in horizontal position ??

A bit technical topic too.. Am putting it simply from my understanding.. A 2 way center channel speaker (horizontal) are prone to lobing issue.. Because the drivers on either side of the tweeter are producing the same frequencies, which are interfering with tweeter dispersion..

A 3-way center channel speaker, is best suggested for center channel.. (Ex Pic below)...the midrange driver is placed below tweeter (like BS speaker) and the bass drivers are placed on the sides.. Which help in clear dialogues..They are also on slightly expensive side..

In my personal case, i taught of buying 3 pieces of Taga LCR60SL.

Taga LCR 60 is designed to be used as LCR speakers.. So it can be center too..

Second option is using three PLATINUM C100 s placed vertically. Not sure if this works fine. I hope it should work fine...

C 100 is specifically designed for center channel use (raised tweeter).. I doubt, if they would make it a better choice 3 x front speaker even if placed vertically..

More detailed info here - https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/center-channel-designs-1

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back