Weak MW/AM reception at my village

sudhirbhosale

Hi
My village is surrounded by huge mountains. Hence not getting MW/AM reception. Sometime get only one chanel. I need help/suggestion in below points:
- Does big size radio have better signal capturing power? Currently I am using philips bahadur radio model around 8" body size.
- Any DIY solution?
- Some radio models avaibale with tag as world band radio. What is exactly that? would that help?
_ Any other tips to improve reception

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Sudhir,

You could consider connecting your radio to an external antenna of the Marconi inverted L type. This can be easily strung up on two vertical supports using a length of insulated copper wire with one end leading down and connected to the external antenna socket of your radio.

The gauge of the wire and its length are not critical. Ordinary flexible insulated copper wire of the type commonly used in household applications e.g. making up power cords for table lamps and other appliances will serve the purpose. You could experiment with various lengths for the horizontal portion of the antenna. Anything from twenty to sixty feet should be sufficient for your purpose, depending upon the reception in your area.

All the best and happy listening.

Hi Sudhir,

It would be interesting to hear of progress made by you in receiving signals in your village. Looking forward to your response.

Thanks microflex for guidance and asking progress.
Actually I am planning to visit my village in March :(

Another problem is : My radio dont have antenna socket. So would it be good idea to open and directly connect to receiving coil?

Thanks

Thanks microflex for guidance and asking progress.
Actually I am planning to visit my village in March :(

Another problem is : My radio dont have antenna socket. So would it be good idea to open and directly connect to receiving coil?

Thanks

You are correct. The tuning coil is connected to the gang condenser through a band switch. You need to select a point for attaching the external antenna so that it remains connected irrespective of which band is selected.

Hi Sudhir,

It would be interesting to hear of progress made by you in receiving signals in your village. Looking forward to your response.

Hi
To update .....
I visited my native place.

Plan: I thought of using set top box approach as suggested by FM. I took RCA splitter to connect audio to my ampli speaker.

Result: RCA Splitter pins were too wide to fit side by side. Still thought of connecting by wire split. But STB was not user friendly for my parents. You need to goto STB pannel, select menu > signal type > radio > select station. This you need to do each time when you switch between TV and Radio.

Solution: 1) I am Looking to buy vintage tuners and connect to ampli speaker. I will buy two 2) Another Free to air STB where you can start radio channel just by selecting chanel number. I think videocon and tata skay has it 3) DIY AM antena.

Any more suggestions ....

Thanks for all help I got from forum member friends

Looking at the intended users, option 2) - buying best STB with preset channel numbers which can be pressed directly from remote controller, is better idea.

FM and AM with respective antenna are messy. In the end, antenna or analog tuner will need signal from atmosphere. It may work unless experimented.

DIY Antenna - I won't discourage you but its different world all together. Guaranteed signal reception has not other option than signal itself.

Back