Weird directory/file listing in Panasonic Viera TVs

asatsi

Hello Folks,

I noticed that the built-in USB media player in Panasonic does not render the directory structure correctly. It messes it up very badly. Some files are shown in root folder, some folders are not displayed at all. Its difficult to see the correct directory structure of a USB drive connected to it. This does not happen with Samsung TVs. Anybody tried to fix this anyhow?

Thanks.

Viera's firmware scans the whole USB drive for Viera supported files and lists only them. So you would see only the folders that contain supported files. And yes it does show some files in root folder which are in some folder, I forget in which cases it does.
There is no solution to this. You will have to wait for some firmware upgrade that fixes this.

That is correct. The TV does not display folders and files in file manager format. When you connect the USB drive, it scans the entire disk for all displayable content. Once done, it simply displays all the files in a list format. Hence it takes a very long time too, especially for large hard disks.

i experienced this.i had to random search any required file....however a entry level media plaer is the solution

True, I have WDTV SMP. But the problem is, few of the 1080p movie rips hung the wdtv many times. Where as the Panasonic built-in player plays them smoothly. Also the aspect ratio as set while playing through Panasonic player is much better than playing through wdtv.

Viera's firmware scans the whole USB drive for Viera supported files and lists only them. So you would see only the folders that contain supported files. And yes it does show some files in root folder which are in some folder, I forget in which cases it does.
There is no solution to this. You will have to wait for some firmware upgrade that fixes this.

I am not surprised because I vaguely recall seeing smiliarly and hopelessly broken software on some other devices many years back.

I just want to take this opportunity to go OT and remind everyone never to surf email and bank accounts from Internet enabled TV's. It is almost certain that programmer errors are bound to exist on these TVs that are fundamentally flawed and capable of being hijacked by many a hidden exploit and software vulnerabilities already discovered and published since years back.

--G0bble

Hey guys, i recently purchased the 50AS670 and i also facing the same issue. All the files are thrown on the root. Anyone has got any solution to this ?

Even I faced the issue. The solution, I don't use the usb directly on the TV, it does not support many formats anyway, I use a media player.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back