Weird response shift when speaker orientation ion box altered

• Thread starter Deleted member 45006
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45006

My infinity reference 31i vintage speakers shows some weird response when I just changed the speaker driver orientation from what I have shown in the image.. This speaker used to be really good at 40-50 hz in my room with acoustics.. Out of curiousity I removed the driver today (just to how the stuffing is done inside the box, and I was bored!!!), and put it back, in the upside down position.. The speaker is a round thing, and I don't believe it would change the tuning of the box on just shifting the orientation.. My test song was Giorgio by daft punk. And on putting things back , I felt,the speaker started sounding as if it never had burned in(like new stuff).. Sound became tight, but a little bit boomy around 50-60hz.. I know this is insane , but anyone has any idea?
je3apusu.jpg

Reorient one channel speaker to original position, bring both channel speakers close to each other, play a good mono recording, listen both channels alternatively in close position (if possible dampen the space behind you and at lower volume levels than normal) and reconfirm if there is any difference.
Regards.
Out of curiousity I removed the driver today
If you have removed the drivers by desoldering, also check polarity of driver wires.
regards

Last edited:
Maybe tightening of the driver's screws in the cabinet helped ?

(If I discount all psychoacoustics and consider your and speaker's position exactly same)

Shivam, these boxes were never opened before, I checked the screws they were intact.. And by the way, they are now 13 years plus I guess(I m not the first owner, but there were no signs of opening, as screws were painted black) .. I played it all night yesterday , and they are little better, let me see if it changes in a week! May be the speakers as they are old, there might have been a voice coil shift to the lower side (as it never had a reform, and they were not of the top notch built)
ymerebyh.jpg

Reorient one channel speaker to original position, bring both channel speakers close to each other, play a good mono recording, listen both channels alternatively in close position (if possible dampen the space behind you and at lower volume levels than normal) and reconfirm if there is any difference.
Regards.

If you have removed the drivers by desoldering, also check polarity of driver wires.
regards[/QUOTE
The drivers had plugs just like the ones we see for car stereo speakers inside and it's not possible to reverse the polarity,I tried the thing you told.. I didn't get a mono recording, so I swapped the channels playing the same song.. Also on stereo mode, the one without orientation sounded the same way they used to sound earlier. And on changing the orientation to the old position for both they sound like normal.. I doubt another prob, I had noticed the wires that came to the drivers were not too long and for my orientation, I had carefully pulled a little, I think this might have pulled out the glasswool(I guess it is!) from its original position exposing the wood at places .. (It's not tightly fit, intentionally as I can see at places) .. I too can't believe changing orientation would affect sound in anyways.. Let me check it again, if that isn't the prob, I would keep the drivers in the new position for a week or so, let me see if it burns in again after long years!

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back