Welcome to India, Amazon!! www.amazon.in

amazon.in

Hi all,

This morning my son told me, amazon had launched an India site. I told him, I knew about, it is called junglee.com in India. He said, no no, now they have Amazon.in: Online Shopping for Books and Movies & TV, and they still do not have many of the items, but at the moment only have books and music/movies. I checked, and it's true. I thought, I should share this news with people here, unless many of you already know about this.

Regards.

but it is basically the same old junglee in new alias. Their product listings are still way behind ebay and flipkart in terms of pricing as well as variety.

but it is basically the same old junglee in new alias. Their product listings are still way behind ebay and flipkart in terms of pricing as well as variety.

Payment is clean, via amazon. Delivery and returns should be smooth. And they will keep adding more verticals, it wasn't long ago that flipkart was doing only books and other media as well.

Should be a good step and will at least get others to step up their game.

i wonder the blurays and DVDs they will sell will of Indian Manufacturer(excel reliance etc) or like in amazon.com, co.uk sites...??

So finally wish came true,the most reliable site came to India.Thanks to Indians who had shopped online from India & made them think to officially enter Indian Market.Welcome.

i wonder the blurays and DVDs they will sell will of Indian Manufacturer(excel reliance etc) or like in amazon.com, co.uk sites...??
These will be Indian releases. As per country rules, they can sell only what is merchandised in India. Besides, Amazon is acting as a "fulfiller" only. They are not allowed to stock.

^ then it is of no use especially in case of purchasing digital media. And one have to still depend on those foreign sites for this.
Though books are less priced than flipkart, I wish they price other departments competitively as well, especially electronics.

I am bit baffled as to why amazon has opened an Indian outlet when they are limited by only selling the Indian merchandise.Also in the press release they are talking about ramping and adding mobile phones and cameras.
Well we already have flipkart and Infibeam doing lot more in terms of number of products , delivery and excellent EMI payment options.So still wondering what purpose does Amazon achieve !

I am bit baffled as to why amazon has opened an Indian outlet when they are limited by only selling the Indian merchandise.Also in the press release they are talking about ramping and adding mobile phones and cameras.
Well we already have flipkart and Infibeam doing lot more in terms of number of products , delivery and excellent EMI payment options.So still wondering what purpose does Amazon achieve !

Despite FDI regulations and many other limitations; I see one biggest advantage of Amazon India... Excellent Customer Services...
And that's gonna give hard time to other Indian retailers, which can be reason for other retailers to improve their customer services... So such competition is beneficial for customers!!

There is actually no (or very little) difference between Flipkart & Amazon in terms of FDI regulations- note the WS Retail workaround Flipkart uses. Looking forward to music, if at all they start stocking it.

Amazon.in Launches in India

Amazon.in is formally launched in India. :yahoo: Currently the listing is limited to Books and Movies however it is expected to be ramped up sooner than later.

Please share experiences for your buys.

Cheers,
Vishu

I ordered The Hobbit - 3D today. Price Rs. 1274. Package contains 4 discs - 2 BDs contain the 3D movie, the 3rd BD contains the 2D version, the 4th disc (BD or DVD unknown) contains special features.

I felt that the pricing is extremely attractive because:
  • US version (5 discs) is $27.99 + shipping + import duty. The 5th disc is a DVD version of the movie. US Version contains UV copy which is useless in India as it cannot be deployed.
  • UK version (4 discs) is 18.17 - less VAT + shipping + duty. There is no DVD but does contain the UV copy which is useless in India as it cannot be deployed.
So, overall, it is a saving of over Rs. 1000 over both versions (as per my calculations). For instance, the Amazon India price would have to be Rs. 2,543.69 to match the US price of $27.99 or Rs. 2,313.63 to match the UK price of 18.17 (base cost + shipping + customs).

However, all movies may not work out just as cheap. It needs a careful cost comparison as well as the feature and contents of the package.

I ordered The Hobbit - 3D today. Price Rs. 1274. Package contains 4 discs - 2 BDs contain the 3D movie, the 3rd BD contains the 2D version, the 4th disc (BD or DVD unknown) contains special features.

I felt that the pricing is extremely attractive because:
  • US version (5 discs) is $27.99 + shipping + import duty. The 5th disc is a DVD version of the movie. US Version contains UV copy which is useless in India as it cannot be deployed.
  • UK version (4 discs) is 18.17 - less VAT + shipping + duty. There is no DVD but does contain the UV copy which is useless in India as it cannot be deployed.
So, overall, it is a saving of over Rs. 1000 over both versions (as per my calculations). For instance, the Amazon India price would have to be Rs. 2,543.69 to match the US price of $27.99 or Rs. 2,313.63 to match the UK price of 18.17 (base cost + shipping + customs).

However, all movies may not work out just as cheap. It needs a careful cost comparison as well as the feature and contents of the package.
I was waiting all this time for The Hobbit 3D price to drop. I had even set a price tracker on bluray.com. But the US price never went below $19.20. So this deal is really sweet. However, the issue of Indian release and the censor cuts remain - may not be an issue with this movie. Someone mentioned that Indian releases have terrible (or low quality sound) - maybe, but I haven't found any reason to complain with the few releases that I own - sound fairly well to me at least.

I am almost given up on ordering from Amazon, UK, despite the cheaper prices, VAT refund and cheaper shipping. The customs' shocks have taken their toll. I suggested many times (to Amazon) to use an alternate carrier, they reply politely but do nothing - as far as they are converned, customs duty is the buyer's problem.

I order one dvd yesterday, delivered to me in less than 24 hrs (mum-pun).

I also saw that the delivery guy was using some mobile app to update the status, they took my sign on his smart phone screen, which was showing as out for delivery at that time, and probably when they pressed ok after my signature It must have updated the server as delivered.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back