Welcome Yamaha 473, Bye Bye Denon1612

bpranay

Hi All,

So finally after too much of scouting and hunting, I have finally purchased:yahoo: Yamaha 473 after selling my Denon 1612 to one of my friend ( sorry, I could not keep it reserve for FMs) I bought it from the local dealer in Chandigarh. One plus point for me is that we have authorized service center of Yamaha in Chandigarh. So in case of any issues, I wont face any problems like shipping etc.

At present I have attached it with my old Sony Bookshelf speakers without sub woofer as the sub of my old HTIB ( Sony GNZ9D) is passive one.:sad:

While listening to music, I am not missing sub effects. It's only when I watch movies that I find the punch missing. Yamaha is excellent is reproducing music. Most of the FMs says that music is best heard in 2 channels but even when I put it on 5 channel, I get better musical effects as the 473 produces the sound of each different instruments through each different speaker.

So far I am very happy with my purchase.

But I have a problem here. I have currently hooked my recently bought Popbox V8 to RXV-473. It is decoding AC3 and DTS without any hassles. But when a file with AAC 5.1 is played then the signal info shows PCM with 2 channel audio( This is my problem).

I have two options in Popbox V8 in audio settings for AAC, that is down mix and pass through. I have tried both the options but it still shows 2 channel. whereas while decoding AC3 and DTS it shows 5.1. Still not understood is there any problem with my media player or my settings in 473.

Both, Media Player and AVR473 are doing decent jobs in their respective fields. Only AAC is a big advantage considering I have so many rips with AAC 5.1 audio.

Can anyone provide me remedy for the above problem?

Also someone guide me how to send sub woofer frequencies to front L and R as I don't have a sub currently?

I also dont have a sub. Bought 473 recently, alongwith a pair of Sonus 2504 FS. In speaker setup I keep `No Sub', Fronts L & R as `Large' and have set Crossover at 120. I get adequate thumping bass. While fiddling, i found that Crossover adjustment is playing important roll in bass managemeent. May please try.

set in ur media player SPDIF LPCM instead of RAW, and select DPLII in AVR
U will get 5.1 as encoded in the AAC

@dheerajjotwani................... I paid 31.5K for Yamaha RXV473.

@diplomat.................I could not locate any such settings as SPDIF LPCM in my media player.

@Spirovious............. My media player decodes AAC but when the signal are sent to AVR it shows PCM for few seconds after that it shows Dolby Prologic II. This is baffling. And when I check the signal info, it shows 2 channels, bitrate and sample rate info shows blank.

Getting mine shortly. Brother picked it from dubai last week. Pairing it with monitor audio br2 and br5. Looking for a sub and Centre channel.

Watching your thread closely as this is my first extensive ht setup

tapped on Note II cdma

u can opt for either optical or coaxial output instead of HDMI and then look for the options in setup page
if ur getting DPL II and the data encoded is 5.1 AAC, u must get 5.1 in ur setup.

@dheerajjotwani................... I paid 31.5K for Yamaha RXV473.

@diplomat.................I could not locate any such settings as SPDIF LPCM in my media player.

@Spirovious............. My media player decodes AAC but when the signal are sent to AVR it shows PCM for few seconds after that it shows Dolby Prologic II. This is baffling. And when I check the signal info, it shows 2 channels, bitrate and sample rate info shows blank.

I had a similar problem with my Himedia & HK... I dont know about Popbox but I changed the setting just diplomat already told u... I found mine in Settings>audio settings... I would think popbox too would have a settings menu... Also in the AVR settings rather than leaving it on AVR selects best mode or auto select , u specifically select a mode for the media player...

There should be setting in MP to send it 5.1 & downmix to stereo.

u can opt for either optical or coaxial output instead of HDMI and then look for the options in setup page
if ur getting DPL II and the data encoded is 5.1 AAC, u must get 5.1 in ur setup.

True that I am getting DLPII. Can someone tell me in the scenario mentioned by diplomat, do you see signal info as 3/2/0.1 or 2ch? Because GUI of AVR shows it as 2ch. even though if it shows 2 ch but there's nice surround effect equivalent to 5.1 then I don't mind it.

True that I am getting DLPII. Can someone tell me in the scenario mentioned by diplomat, do you see signal info as 3/2/0.1 or 2ch? Because GUI of AVR shows it as 2ch. even though if it shows 2 ch but there's nice surround effect equivalent to 5.1 then I don't mind it.

If the AVR GUI shows 2 CH, then you can get only pseudo surround with the source. No way to get the discrete 5 channel becoz that information is not in the source. You may try to use the Direct mode with AVR and see what happens with aac files.

"With Dolby Pro Logic II technology, when you put on your favorite stereo TV show, video game, or CD, you'll actually feel like there are speakers placed all around you. Dolby Pro Logic II creates this sensation by using hidden audio cues that already exist in the stereo content to create realistic surround sound. As a result, you'll be immersed in five full-range audio channelsLeft, Right, Center, Left Surround, and Right Surroundfrom your favorite stereo programming"
this detail from dolby site explains how it decodes the original encoded signal from 2 channel source, if it has been down mixed and compressed while ripping in AAC format.
I personally have lot of hindi movies in AAC 2 channel format, but in this mode I don't feel like missing any 5.1 punch as intended in format for movies.
the same may not be true for mp3 songs, which are purely in stereo and not down mixed like the case of movie files with AAC

^^ It is not equivalent to discrete 5.1 channel. It is still a pseudo 5.1. Some rips have both 2 channel and 5.1 channel audio. Test these movies with these two audio tracks and you will know what you are missing in two channel audio movies.

thats certainly true, but the data encoded in 5.1 down mixed to 2 ch format will be not the same as pure stereo file..

I think among entry level AVRs, Onkyo 414 is the only AVR that decodes AAC. But AAC now slowly gaining popularity, I wish others should also follow the suit.

I got one more problem.

While I kept ARC on in my Yamaha473, it's not taking any audio from my TV which is Sony Bravia 40'' EX710. As per the specs, my HDTV supports ARC and in it's HDMI1 input,ARC is mentioned there.

Any help is welcomed.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back