went to buy HT , came back empty handed

deepdown11

Hi guys,
this is my first post here.
getting straight to the point
i am not an audiophile, but appreciate good crisp music good bass.
i want to buy a ht by diwali.
started research on this website.
since my budget was around 35k, my choice boiled down to yamaha yht298 or onkyo 3400.
i went to a store just to have a look.
landed with the below
1) both these models have been upgraded and yamaha yht299 has problems with its subwoofer ( as informed by the salesperson)
2) onkyo did not sound as good.
3) got greedy and started looking at 5.1 ch speakers with front floor standing speakers.
here is the flip
1) the sales guy says that a good system i.e denon x500 is a good one, listened to it and really appreciated it. but price was 43000
2) coming to floor standing speakers, he only had jamo for demo which was hitched to harmon kardon with a paradigm active sub and 2 jamo satellite speakers at the back. This package was for 55000
i actually loved this last one

came to a conclusion which need to be addressed by you guys.
i think i should buy a good avr first, something for 25000 and buy some silly philips or sony 5.1 ch speakers for around 10000
can they be matched
buy a good pair of floor standing speakers maybe 6 months down the line.
then maybe a year from now buy a nice sub woofer and 5.1 ch speaker wiich would cost around 30000.

If anyone has any other suggestions then please says so.

what do you say guys????

Why don't you try some second hand gear from this forum > For Sale by Owner

Don't waste 10k on sony or philips speakers. Get an AVR like Yamaha 373 and 2 bookshelves first. ( you can get a pair of good bookshelf around 15k) Then slowly built your set up as you can afford. Add the centre channel and surrounds later. Even if you have spare old speakers you can use them for centre and surrounds for the time being.

@deepdown11, have you been to a gym session with a personal trainer? The personal trainer pushes you... One more push up, sir or two more crunches, etc. It is the same with hifi. You start from home with some budget in mind. Very soon you realize that at that price, nothing sounds good enough. Then, for a little more there is a nicer gear. But after some time of demo, you still don't get the kick. This continues and "let is go a step higher continues". Pretty soon you end up at a price that is nearly twice of what you intended on spending. But this is a good thing as well as bad thing. Good because you will get what you like finally. Bad because ... well, I don't have to spell it out. My advice ...

This has been my firm opinion and axiom that I always follow:

1. When you buy quality, you cry once only.
2. If you shell out peanuts, you get monkeys.

So all in all, I always try to aim at something that I won't regret later. This is after taking all constraints, including money, into factor. If I wish something and I don't have the cash, rather than going for a compromise, I wait, save and then buy.

Hi guys,
this is my first post here.
getting straight to the point
i am not an audiophile, but appreciate good crisp music good bass.
i want to buy a ht by diwali.
started research on this website.
since my budget was around 35k, my choice boiled down to yamaha yht298 or onkyo 3400.
i went to a store just to have a look.
landed with the below
1) both these models have been upgraded and yamaha yht299 has problems with its subwoofer ( as informed by the salesperson)
2) onkyo did not sound as good.
3) got greedy and started looking at 5.1 ch speakers with front floor standing speakers.
here is the flip
1) the sales guy says that a good system i.e denon x500 is a good one, listened to it and really appreciated it. but price was 43000
2) coming to floor standing speakers, he only had jamo for demo which was hitched to harmon kardon with a paradigm active sub and 2 jamo satellite speakers at the back. This package was for 55000
i actually loved this last one

came to a conclusion which need to be addressed by you guys.
i think i should buy a good avr first, something for 25000 and buy some silly philips or sony 5.1 ch speakers for around 10000
can they be matched
buy a good pair of floor standing speakers maybe 6 months down the line.
then maybe a year from now buy a nice sub woofer and 5.1 ch speaker wiich would cost around 30000.

If anyone has any other suggestions then please says so.

what do you say guys????

Hey, I have gone through a similar recently. Started with a HT in mind. But, after much time spent researching, auditioning, I decided to buy an AVR+a pair of bookshelves. Decided to buy a good pair of front speakers first and build the full system over time. For one, I get much better sound, and for another, I still have much to look forward to. Ofcourse, when I bought the speakers, I couldn't resist buying a sub and ended up stretching the budget to buy one. But, that's a different matter :D

Rupam and just4kix have said it right. Build it slowly and if hard pressed for budget then worth waiting. If at all you are looking at Sony etc for speakers then audition Onkyo 4505 once as it fits in your budget and is a better sounding and feature rich HTiB than 3400 and has better sounding speakers than the ones considered.

HT is predominantly for movies, not music! You would have to make up your mind first, as to what you need. For music, you just need a pair of good speakers and a matching integrated amplifier. Obviously, selection of a good source (like a CD player) has to be looked into too.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back