Western Digital HD Media player - Folder not recognized

mathan

I had recently formatted the Toshiba 1TB external hard disk. Earlier I had been using this with WD HD media player and it was working well. After formatting the hard disk WD player does not recognize the folders but it is able to recognize any single movie or music files that is copied to the hard disk. If I copy any files to a folder I am not able to view the folder itself. What might be the problem? Any suggestions?

I had recently formatted the Toshiba 1TB external hard disk. Earlier I had been using this with WD HD media player and it was working well. After formatting the hard disk WD player does not recognize the folders but it is able to recognize any single movie or music files that is copied to the hard disk. If I copy any files to a folder I am not able to view the folder itself. What might be the problem? Any suggestions?

Mate, Did you format the disk with the Media player or PC/Laptop ?

If PC / Laptop then it must be the file format which you have chosen....try formatting with the media player ...will work...did with my AC Ryan POHD...

If you are able to see the files inside the folder and not the folders it is some thing to do with the View settings of the WD TV.
Is there an option to set Folder view?
Alternatively reset to factory default and try.

Reset the WD player to factory default but still the problem with Toshiba Hard disk persists. I connected two other external hard disk and the WD player was able to recognize that but I got a message that `unable to update library' but was able to play the files. Now as for Toshiba Hard disk as soon as I connect it I get a message that no network found. Toshiba Hard disk is working perfectly good when connected to computer and I could add/delete files. I also formatted the disk but not sure why WD player is not recognizing the Toshiba Hard disk alone. Any work around or suggestions?

What kind of file system was it before? What kind of file system did you format it as?

If the answer to either question is that you don't know, then you probably should not have been doing what you were doing.

What were you trying to achieve? That might also help answerers.

Anyway, do what illusion_heart told you to do: it will probably fix the problem.

Oh, just saw that you can't.

What kind of file system was it before? What kind of file system did you format it as?

If the answer to either question is that you don't know, then you probably should not have been doing what you were doing.

What were you trying to achieve? That might also help answerers.

Anyway, do what illusion_heart told you to do: it will probably fix the problem.

Oh, just saw that you can't.

It was NTFS before and I formatted it as NTFS but since it did not work with the WD player I formatted it again as FAT and still it did not work. I was trying to copy a bunch of folders with movie files on it. Now the media player does not recognize the hard disk at all.

Reformat it to NTFS again and check the folder contains any image files. try to remove them and keep only the video files. And then try playing. You might be lucky.

... WD player does not recognize the folders but it is able to recognize any single movie or music files that is copied to the hard disk. If I copy any files to a folder I am not able to view the folder itself. What might be the problem? Any suggestions?
To paraphrase this... your WD player can "see" files in the root directory, but it cannot see folders or subfolders or files in them, right?

Don't know anything about the WD. What OS is it? Is it one of those embedded Linux things? Don't know anything about the control interface...
-- is it showing you that the drive is there?
-- Is it showing you that the drive is mounted?
-- Does it say anything about permissions?
-- can you telnet (open a command line terminal session) to the WD?

Hello! I bought a media player Mede8er thru' Hifimart mainly for watching down loaded movies. Now I have to buy an internal HDD of 2TB. I'm looking for Seagate or WD. Which one is better? Or is there something else which is better than these two? Pls suggest.

Got it working again. Strangely When I tried formatting the hard drive through Win 8 operating system, it did not work when I connected it to the media player. Just by intuition formatted it through Win 7 operating system and copied all the folders and connected to the media player and the hard disk was instantly recognized and all the folders were also recognized. Strange and still cannot figure out why it did not work when formatted through Win 8. Problem solved. Thanks for all replies and suggestions.

Great!

What a tedious thing to happen. Another black mark for Mircrosoft --- although, personally I've long since stopped counting them! :lol:

Enjoy the music :)

Hello! I bought a media player Mede8er thru' Hifimart mainly for watching down loaded movies. Now I have to buy an internal HDD of 2TB. I'm looking for Seagate or WD. Which one is better? Or is there something else which is better than these two? Pls suggest.

Mate, WD green is good enough....have one 2TB in my POHD from last 2 years....no problems till date....

However as your player supports upto 4 TB ...try to install a 3 TB atleast as space runs out pretty quickly and trust me upgrading the HDD,copying entire data is pretty painful and time consuming....also do remember to format your disk on the player instead of your PC during installation...

Requets if you can share your experiences with the mede8er.....am planning to upgrade...have shortlisted POHD 3D as of now..

Hi illusion_heart,

Thanks for the suggestion. As you suggested I'll go for 3TB. Due to some traveling, I planed to buy & install during this week end. I too was thinking on PO player, but after some reading etc..decided to go for Mede8er.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back