Wharfedale moviestar 65?

dpkarvind

Hey friends... This is my first post to HFV.
I have a query.... I'm looking at a ht setup at my home... Budget is about 40k... Room size is 16x8.. 80% movies and 20% music.

Looking at a few options... Wanted to know if anyone had experience of Wharfedale 65+ 5.1 systems? I wish to combine this with either denon x500 or Yamaha v375. I have been reading good things about wharfs.. But no comments about this model.
If not I may also look at Yamaha 299 as well.
Any comments will help. Thanks.
Deepak

Dear dpkarvind. I already have ordered Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super and Yamaha RX-V375 combo on hifimart.com for Rs.53,692, although it is still to be shipped.

I have gone through several online and print-media reviews as well, and found this to be the best combo option for my budget. Denon's X100 is a better option, but X500 falls short when compared to RX-V375. If you wanna to through these reviews, I am giving links below:

01. For Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super:

Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ Review, Price in India, Specifications - AVMAX on Tech2

playStereo Audio Shop | Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ HT 5.1 System

Wharfedale Moviestar 65+ Review - | Bharat Press

Wharfedale moviestar 65+ 5.1 system | AVForums Dec 30, 2009 at 6:59 PM

02. For Yamaha RX-V375:

The Best Receiver | The Wirecutter

Yamaha RX-V375 review from the experts at whathifi.com

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/323583-yamaha-rx-v375-home-theater-receiver-review/

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Yamaha RX-V375 5.1 Channel 3D A/V Home Theater Receiver (Black)

I've a doubt. To the best of my knowledge, output power/impedance of Indian model of "Yamaha RX-V375" is rated @ 6? only (it doesn't go upto 8?), whereas typical impedance of "Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super" is rated @ 8?. Isn't it a mismatch? Shall the "Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super" speaker system run properly, as expected, on the AVR "Yamaha RX-V375" (Indian model)?

You would have needed to worry had it been 4 ohms. 6 ohms to drive 8 ohms is a no-sweat situation. Moreover, for HT use all you need to do is to set the AVR such that the LF below 80 Hz is fed direct to the powered sub. That would take the load off the AVR.

I've a doubt. To the best of my knowledge, output power/impedance of Indian model of "Yamaha RX-V375" is rated @ 6? only (it doesn't go upto 8?), whereas typical impedance of "Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super" is rated @ 8?. Isn't it a mismatch? Shall the "Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super" speaker system run properly, as expected, on the AVR "Yamaha RX-V375" (Indian model)?

Here is an interesting article on this at Understanding Speaker Impedance - AxiomAudio

Subwoofer specifications of Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super in its User Manual says "LF Response (fb): 45 Hz". What does it mean?

Hey friends... This is my first post to HFV.
I have a query.... I'm looking at a ht setup at my home... Budget is about 40k... Room size is 16x8.. 80% movies and 20% music.

Looking at a few options... Wanted to know if anyone had experience of Wharfedale 65+ 5.1 systems? I wish to combine this with either denon x500 or Yamaha v375. I have been reading good things about wharfs.. But no comments about this model.
If not I may also look at Yamaha 299 as well.
Any comments will help. Thanks.
Deepak

Really tough to build component system for 40K.... Yamaha YHT 299 is excellent choice... you can get it for approx 35K, you can upgrade to better speakers later if you wish to, have budget & space...

For your room size, yamaha yht 299 would be ideal fit....

Recently, I purchased "Wharfedale MovieStar 65+ Super" Speaker system. Specifications of its Subwoofer given on the seller's site were as under:

01. Boundary Position:28-170 Hz;
02. Crossover Range: 35-85 (10 Hz step).

However, when I got the product, I noticed that:
a. No Boundary Position was given in its User Manual;
b. Crossover Range was 70-170 Hz in User Manual as well as on the Subwoofer itself;
c. LF Response (fb) was given as 45 Hz in the User Manual.

Can anybody explain:
i. What is the meaning of "Boundary Position: 28-170 Hz"?
ii. What is the meaning of "LF Response (fb): 45 Hz"?
iii. What is the Frequency Response Range of the Subwoofer (if known to anyone)?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back