wharfedale or boston acoustics or Polk

bikram_singh

Hi,

After reading several threads here, I've decided to drop the idea of buying HT-in-a-box setup and instead begin creating my own HT, and for that I want to know if I should go with boston acoustics or Polk or wharfedale speakers for my Marantz NR1504 AV receiver? Or Should I also consider going with another make/model for AV as well?

I do not own anything, and as far as speakers go, the one I currently own is Logitech Z-5500, so basically I am a total noob.

Please help.

Thanks
Bikram

What is your budget?Which series you intend to buy?
If you like wharfedale,then Yamaha ,Denon AVR can be good option.
With Boston,Yamaha,Denon,Marantz can match.
Polk sound good with almost all AVRs.

What is your budget?Which series you intend to buy?
If you like wharfedale,then Yamaha ,Denon AVR can be good option.
With Boston,Yamaha,Denon,Marantz can match.
Polk sound good with almost all AVRs.

Thanks for your reply. For speakers, I have a budget of around 70K. And apart from that I do not have any idea about which series to go with and which model. I will need an expert's advice to know which one will be suitable for the 25X15X11 feet room in the given budget. Completely new to all this.

Thanks
Bikram

Will the following? make a good system, and which AVR should I buy for this? And if anything needs to be replaced then please let me know what and with what.

Polk Audio TSx 440T Tower Speaker- Black - Pair

Polk Audio TSx 150C Center Channel Speaker - Black - Single

Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker - Black - Pair

Polk Audio PSW110 Subwoofer - Black - Single

And what should I add to this if I need to make the system 7.1 instead of 5.1

Will the following? make a good system, and which AVR should I buy for this? And if anything needs to be replaced then please let me know what and with what.

Polk Audio TSx 440T Tower Speaker- Black - Pair

Polk Audio TSx 150C Center Channel Speaker - Black - Single

Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker - Black - Pair

Polk Audio PSW110 Subwoofer - Black - Single

And what should I add to this if I need to make the system 7.1 instead of 5.1

+1 for this great setup.Im using polk tsx110 and tsx150 absolutely superb for both movies and music. 5.1 or 7.1 is about personal interest only.5.1 is more than enough for the available sources here.

Polk pack you selected is good.But SW can be weak in the link.Either you go for Polk pro series or other.You can match Denon AVR with comfort.X2000 can be perfect match.

Polk pack you selected is good.But SW can be weak in the link.Either you go for Polk pro series or other.You can match Denon AVR with comfort.X2000 can be perfect match.

Polk pro series? What you suggest? And isn't Denon X2000 a tad too expensive? What about Marantz NR1504 or NR 1604?

+1 for this great setup.Im using polk tsx110 and tsx150 absolutely superb for both movies and music. 5.1 or 7.1 is about personal interest only.5.1 is more than enough for the available sources here.

Which AV receiver are you using? Will Marantz NR1504 or NR 1604 do justice with this setting?

Which one is better?

Boston Acoustics A 250 or Polk Audio TSX 440T? And how does Polk Audio TSX 330T fares?

I think I may also try Denon X1000 before making up my mind.

And Should I go for Polk Audio PSW110 Subwoofer or Polk Audio PSW12510 Subwoofer? WIll there be any value addition for additional 6K that I will pay?

Also suggest if I should replace Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker with Polk Audio TSX 220B Bookshelf in the above setup or is the original choice fine?

Last edited:
And Should I go for Polk Audio PSW110 Subwoofer or Polk Audio PSW12510 Subwoofer? WIll there be any value addition for additional 6K that I will pay?

Also suggest if I should replace Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker with Polk Audio TSX 220B Bookshelf in the above setup or is the original choice fine?

if this tsx110 is for surround means it is more than enough. psw125 will be better than psw110.

Bikram_Singh, your choice of Polk 440T is good. I suggest you do not go any lower than that. Also this speaker has high sensitivity (91db), which means it needs less amp power to play loud. You will thank yourself for this later.
Like others said, go for a better subwoofer than the psw series. The DSW 660 or 550 would be better than the entry level PSW series and subwoofer must be capable of hitting you hard if you want to really enjoy the movies. Your room is also largish. I would suggest you get the DSW series if you want to go for Polk or even wait out if that is more comfortable - but try not to compromise by getting the PSW. This is my opinion.

From All the discussion I think I can go for the following unit:

Polk Audio TSx 440T Tower Speaker
Polk Audio DSW PRO550
Polk Audio TSX 250C Centre Channel Speaker
Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker

And
Denon AVR-X1000 Integrated Network AV Receiver

And I am going for Epson EH-TW6100 projector for it. There will absolutely be no light source in the room, so I guess this projector should do the job.

Please let me know if you suggest any change in this?

Thanks
Bikram

From All the discussion I think I can go for the following unit:

Polk Audio TSx 440T Tower Speaker
Polk Audio DSW PRO550
Polk Audio TSX 250C Centre Channel Speaker
Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker

And
Denon AVR-X1000 Integrated Network AV Receiver

And I am going for Epson EH-TW6100 projector for it. There will absolutely be no light source in the room, so I guess this projector should do the job.

Please let me know if you suggest any change in this?

Thanks
Bikram
I have the same model projector and a year later, i find myself very very happy with it's performance in 2D and 3D. Also Epson is known for it's customer service and amongst the projector companies in India, has probably the widest network of dealers and service.

I have the same model projector and a year later, i find myself very very happy with it's performance in 2D and 3D. Also Epson is known for it's customer service and amongst the projector companies in India, has probably the widest network of dealers and service.

can you post some images of your HT setting? And what do you think should be the ceiling height of the room? I am constructing a room from grounds up so can afford to make it as low or as high as required.

Please see one of my threads here - some pics on the 2nd or 3rd page
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...xperience-setting-up-my-projector-screen.html
Also on your speaker selection, you did the right thing by opting for tsx 250c for center channel instead of 150c. Most of the movie's sound is heard from the center channel and a beefy center channel is an absolute must.
Please let me know if you need more details on my modest setup

Please see one of my threads here - some pics on the 2nd or 3rd page
http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...xperience-setting-up-my-projector-screen.html
Also on your speaker selection, you did the right thing by opting for tsx 250c for center channel instead of 150c. Most of the movie's sound is heard from the center channel and a beefy center channel is an absolute must.
Please let me know if you need more details on my modest setup

Thanks for the link.

Do you think

one should replace Polk Audio TSx 110B Bookshelf Speaker with
Polk Audio FXiA4 Surround Loudspeaker? or it will be a mismatch to the system I've selected?

It'll be used as rear speakers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back