What after Pioneer FS52??

Strings

Hello everyone,

I have been enjoying the Andrew Jones setup from quite sometime now. The FS52 towers are really something for what they offer in that price range. Infact, they outperform many which costs double their price.
Now the big question is what next?
The thing is, I have had my fare share of experiences with few more expensive speakers like Taga platinum F90, Wharfedale diamond 10, Dynaudio Emit M10, Jamo S626, Klipsch R620 etc, but nothing could really wow me in terms of performance compared to my AJs. I mean I'm talking about the price to performance ratio here. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here but the real world performance is only slightly better and for that I have to pay almost double the price, which I really don't think is worth it.
Guys, I really don't mean to offend anyone who are using the above mentioned speakers/brands. It's just my personal opinion.
I'm in no hurry to upgrade, the current speakers are serving me well. They are really sweet sounding, it's just that I feel they could be a little underpowered sometimes and sound strained at very loud volumes while watching movies.
I'm looking for something more powerful, like at least 150 watts, which can handle loud volumes with poise.
I'm open to both floorstanders and bookshelves, new or used. Budget no more than 40k, maybe 45k if I have to stretch.

Apologies for the long post and thanks for reading with patience. Your advice/ suggestions would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers

Which amplifier are you using to drive them? Those are not very efficient speakers so a beefy amp is needed.

To upgrade i would suggest elac b6.2, elac unifi series, kef R series.

MaSh

As of now , I am using tannoy xt mini with my subwoofer and they are wonderful too in their own space. If possible try to feed them with high current amplifier and they will sound even more wonderful. I can't suggest any more speakers but do give a listen to xtmini and castel knight
Thanks for the advice bro. Am looking to upgrade my amp as well. Hopefully it will help. Currently I'm using Pioneer VSX-524 AVR, which is quite average.
Regarding listening to the XT mini, it's difficult to find your choice of speakers for auditioning. If I find them I will surely take a demo.

Which amplifier are you using to drive them? Those are not very efficient speakers so a beefy amp is needed.

To upgrade i would suggest elac b6.2, elac unifi series, kef R series.

MaSh
I use Pioneer VSX-524 AVR. It's just above average. I'm looking at Pioneer VSX-934, Denon X1600, Yamaha 585 or Marantz 1609. Please suggest a good one among these.... I'm open to other models as well in the same price bracket.

On a separate note. I'm getting Pioneer vsx934 AVR for 36k, without bill and warranty. Sealed box, grey market item. Good deal?

I use Pioneer VSX-524 AVR. It's just above average. I'm looking at Pioneer VSX-934, Denon X1600, Yamaha 585 or Marantz 1609. Please suggest a good one among these.... I'm open to other models as well in the same price bracket.
Oh you have a ht setup? Those speakers need an amp with balls. A receiver won't cut it. Look for a receiver with pre out, to which you can connect a power amp.

I guess receiver is the culprit behind the issue you face at high volume. The amp could be clipping.

MaSh

I don't think more power is what you need. I have a bs22, and it's plenty loud for me (with the right amp. Most modern avrs don't have enough power. You need a quality amp). Where the speakers could use improving is the mids and highs, and a better speaker with even lower power capacity and better sensitivity can play louder and cleaner. I upgraded to a pair of vintage ar bookshelves and a subwoofer

Oh you have a ht setup? Those speakers need an amp with balls. A receiver won't cut it. Look for a receiver with pre out, to which you can connect a power amp.

I guess receiver is the culprit behind the issue you face at high volume. The amp could be clipping.

MaSh
Hmm... Could be. But I want a simple setup with one amp to do the duty of movies and music. Maybe a powerful amp should do the trick. Do you think the amps which I mentioned above are good enough for that? I'm getting Pioneer vsx934 7.2 receiver for 36k without bill. Is that a good deal? Should I look at that?

Hmm... Could be. But I want a simple setup with one amp to do the duty of movies and music. Maybe a powerful amp should do the trick. Do you think the amps which I mentioned above are good enough for that? I'm getting Pioneer vsx934 7.2 receiver for 36k without bill. Is that a good deal? Should I look at that?
Well i haven't looked at receivers since long, so. It sure of current prices. If yours is a stereo setup, look at separates preamp + Poweramp setup. If not get a receiver with pre out atleast for front channels.

MaSh

Hi
Try marantz SR series avr if you really want to see the potential of the towers or any marantz PM series stereo amp.

Hello everyone,

I have been enjoying the Andrew Jones setup from quite sometime now. The FS52 towers are really something for what they offer in that price range. Infact, they outperform many which costs double their price.
Now the big question is what next?
The thing is, I have had my fare share of experiences with few more expensive speakers like Taga platinum F90, Wharfedale diamond 10, Dynaudio Emit M10, Jamo S626, Klipsch R620 etc, but nothing could really wow me in terms of performance compared to my AJs. I mean I'm talking about the price to performance ratio here. I know I'm comparing apples to oranges here but the real world performance is only slightly better and for that I have to pay almost double the price, which I really don't think is worth it.
Guys, I really don't mean to offend anyone who are using the above mentioned speakers/brands. It's just my personal opinion.
I'm in no hurry to upgrade, the current speakers are serving me well. They are really sweet sounding, it's just that I feel they could be a little underpowered sometimes and sound strained at very loud volumes while watching movies.
I'm looking for something more powerful, like at least 150 watts, which can handle loud volumes with poise.
I'm open to both floorstanders and bookshelves, new or used. Budget no more than 40k, maybe 45k if I have to stretch.

Apologies for the long post and thanks for reading with patience. Your advice/ suggestions would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers
Look at sonodyne sonus / Avant speakers.. pair of speakers may come closure to the budget. But make sure you have good amps to power them..
they are rated 150 watts to 200 watts rms

Look at sonodyne sonus / Avant speakers.. pair of speakers may come closure to the budget. But make sure you have good amps to power them..
they are rated 150 watts to 200 watts rms
Thanks for the suggestion bro. Will definitely give them a look. Although not really sure where to audition them in Hyderabad.

Not sure who's the dealer in Hyderabad

You may check from their website link below

@HTuser , any idea about sonodyne dealer from Hyderabad ?

Guys, I really don't mean to offend anyone who are using the above mentioned speakers/brands. It's just my personal opinion. I'm in no hurry to upgrade, the current speakers are serving me well. They are really sweet sounding, it's just that I feel they could be a little underpowered sometimes and sound strained at very loud volumes while watching movies.

Do you already have a sub ? (or) running the FS full-range?..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back