What AV Receiver to buy ?

SrNgS

Hi Everyone,

Been here for last one month and am super confused to buy a AV Receiver.

Am in Chennai and would like to setup a home theater at my native Thanjavur.

I am confused to choose either Entry level(20-30) or Mid(30-50) Or High (50-60K) receivers.

The problem is I don't want to regret in near future about my purchase. I am reading lot of forums and been directly to few auditions in Chennai.

Every suggestion differs person to person. One expert advise to go with Yamaha and other with Onkyo/Pioneer and few for Denon. Few advise to go with high end products without bill for cheaper rates which i doubt fishy.

All in my heart slightly moved towards Yamaha but still Pioneer is in consideration.

Budget yeah budget i need advise for all the three variants low/mid/high from you. I know lot of forum threads have same questions which receiver to buy and i have already read many replies. I started this thread since it is quite new almost end of 2017 and there is no recent forum for AV Receiver suggestions.

So far i have been thinking the below,

Yamaha HTR3067 or Pioneer VSX531
Yamaha RXV683 or Pioneer VSX931

But always wanted to hear from you people. Please guide me through the light as am already confused a lot by every seller i talk regarding this.

As of speakers concerned, I am in need of new speakers which i prefer to buy in next 4 or 5 months. Currently, i have 6Ohmns 33W JVC Speakers which i got as Home theatre bundle.

My Current plan is to buy a receiver now with a active subwoofer and later upgrade the speakers in time of 4 or 5 months.

And the hall size is 10x15 (complete hall size) Listening distance would be 10x7 or 10x8.

Budget, as i said i dont want to regret any buying. If you all suggest me to go with HTR 3067 keeping in my mind the technology for next 2 or 3 years and buy a descent speakers and woofers i will be glad to buy. If you advise me to buy pioneer 531 for the future of 3 years then am glad. all in all i want is something that should be like i have to replace within 3 or 4 years. please help me out !!

I guess i have given all the required information. Let me know if i missed anything else to inform.

Need your advise

Hi,

Its great to see that you have read through all the numerous Which Receiver threads on this Forum.

I would only Suggest what I think. All receivers are the same. They are all very good. What you need to do is list out Your Requirements from the receiver. Requirements for number of Inputs needed, number of speaker outs, Pre Out channels, decoders that you would be using, Auto setup version/variant, etc, etc.

Once you have your requirements listed, then look for the receiver that full fills them. No receiver is Future Proof. No matter what you buy, there will be something better, with a longer feature list, the very next year. They are like mobile phones, a new one right around the corner. So stick to your requirements and budget, pick the best one you can afford.

All the best,
MaSh

Hi i have recently purchased yamaha v483 for my bedroom 14*18room size and its sound fantastic & powerful.

I am also looking to buy a 7 channel midrange receiver for my living room, what i have sorted out are marantz 5012 and denon x3400h both around 90k.

I feel htr 3067 is good for small satellite speakers. But for anything bigger i believe you should atleast go for yamaha v483 or v683.

What i have heard from market is Pioneer is not reliable in lower price range.

Thanks for the valuable replies.

I narrowed down all my needs and felt HTR 3067 is enough for what am running now.

I believe i have to upgrade the same in 2 years from now. So settled with HTR as of now with my current requirement. Gaming/Music/Movies is enough and atmos is not a immediate requirement which made my choice to HTR.

I ordered HTR 3067 got some coupons so bought for 24.5K today.

Now would like to order subwoofer and interested in polk psw110. Please suggest me if any other good options available for 20K.

Oh wow that was fast. Congratulations. Where did you order it from?

Regarding, sub I would suggest you hold on. Let the receiver come play around with it. Instead of Sub you could get a good pair of front speakers. Then go for the Sub, follow by surround and center speakers to complete the setup.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

+1 for bookshelf's. Add sub later on, centre thereafter. You could look for pre-owned stuff if budget is a constraint now.

I bought via ebay as i have got coupons worth 3000.

I dont prefer ebay but the coupons helped me to stick to it.

Audiomaxx from mumbai is the seller and he had 100% positive feedback as well in ebay.

if not subwoofers now, What speakers to go with HTR then ?

Since i have to transport everything to my native i preferred online delivery over physical pickup in chennai. My native has no such stores as of now :(

Carrying over 15Kg of Speakers and 8KG of Receiver via bus is bit hectic here. so preferred online.

I can cancel in case if you people suggest not to buy from him :)

Thanks in advance.

Since i have to transport everything to my native i preferred online delivery over physical pickup in chennai. My native has no such stores as of now :(

What are the speaker options he has? Maybe he can bundle it all together and deliver it to your place? Wharfedales or similarly warm sounding speakers are known to match well with a Yamaha. There is a discount running on Wharfedales on HifiMart Link: WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 220: ?19,200.00

MaSh

Audiomaxx from mumbai is the seller and he had 100% positive feedback as well in ebay.

Thanks in advance.

Audiomaxx is a reputed dealer. They will provide manufacturer warranty. No need to cancel.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Audiomaxx is a reputed dealer. They will provide manufacturer warranty. No need to cancel.

Buddy.. Was waiting for your reply :)

Have given lot of preferences to your replies and Mash..

Thanks.. I was bit worried then but am happy now regarding my purchase :)

Carrying over 15Kg of Speakers and 8KG of Receiver via bus is bit hectic here. so preferred online.

Thanks in advance.

You have sayhifi.com, proaudiohome and htstore as other online dealers who sell stuff at good rates and would include delivery...

Bookshelf / Tower speakers will work well.....look at the various available models and specs and decide.....

You have sayhifi.com, proaudiohome and htstore as other online dealers who sell stuff at good rates and would include delivery...

Bookshelf / Tower speakers will work well.....look at the various available models and specs and decide.....

Sure Bro.

I will check those.

Any advice for bundle 5.0 Package stuff or should i stick with individual purchases for front/center/surround.

All depends on your budget....you can do what works for you....

Look for speakers with high SPL...

Speakers which can deliver almost all frequencies between 20hz to 20khz would be ideal in performance.

Sometimes there are good pre owned deals, which is getting good stuff for cheaper rates..

Last edited:
All depends on your budget....you can do what works for you....

Look for speakers with high SPL...

Speakers which can deliver almost all frequencies between 20hz to 20khz would be ideal in performance.

Sometimes there are good pre owned deals, which is getting good stuff for cheaper rates..

So far I thought i can settle with TAGA v606SE for 5.0 package. Heard good reviews as well. But would like to hear from you people.

I dont have options to audition the same with entry level amplifiers here in chennai.

There are quite a bit of our members based in Chennai and most have different brands..i am sure some of them would invite you over for audition ....

Also you can rely on YouTube videos to get an idea on look and feel

So far I thought i can settle with TAGA v606SE for 5.0 package. Heard good reviews as well. But would like to hear from you people.

There are hardly many speaker package at the price of Taga 5.0 package..

I dont have options to audition the same with entry level amplifiers here in chennai.

There is one place near mount rd, don't recollect the name of the dealer.. Wait for other chennai FM to update here.. @rajithkumar.

Don't worry abt audition.. You aren't missing anything if you aren't auditioning..

There are hardly many speaker package at the price of Taga 5.0 package..

There is one place near mount rd, don't recollect the name of the dealer.. Wait for other chennai FM to update here.. @rajithkumar.

Don't worry abt audition.. You aren't missing anything if you aren't auditioning..
Yeah as Elangoas mentioned ,a small AV shop available @ Chennai for Taga speakers audition.
DS Audio -Mr.Senthil -9840739261.
Some of our other FMs have bought from him too.
Good luck.

Yeah as Elangoas mentioned ,a small AV shop available @ Chennai for Taga speakers audition.
DS Audio -Mr.Senthil -9840739261.
Some of our other FMs have bought from him too.
Good luck.

Any idea about chennai location?

[emoji41]

Hi,

Thanks a lot everyone for earlier replies.

I do have a set of 5 JVC speakers (model: SP THS11) which are old though. It came along with my DVD home theater long back.

I checked the Power of those speakers and it were 33W/40W at 4/6Ohms.

would you advise me to temporarily connect them with HTR 3067.

If i can use them for next 2 to 3 months i will buy woofers now and if not then i have to buy the speakers now.

Since the watts are low, i have stick to low volumes from my HTR right ?

Will connecting those speakers harm the Receiver even if i listen at low volume say like 30% to 50% of volume range?

Last edited:
A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back