What goes inside a Bose Wave Radio CD

sandeepmohan

An elderly couple very close to my family wanted to get their 10+ year old Bose Radio CD fixed. The CD lens had packed up. Bose service in Bangalore were useless. I took the player to them and they straight away said they can't repair it as the model is too old. They offered a trade in for a new Wave radio CD player. While they made the trade in deal sound sweet, I later found out that there was nothing sweet about it. The Bose store offered the same price for a new Wave radio CD player without the need to trade in the old unit. We bought a new one from the Bose store.

The elderly couple decided they don't want the old unit and so it was mine. I took it to my "amp uncle" (Relative) who offered to take a look at it. The lens was indeed the problem. He found a replacement lens on Ali Express. It was a Sanyo lens. Problem was we had to buy 5 units minimum. We ordered 5 lenses at a cost of Rs. 1500 shipped. The lens unit arrived in less than a month and the Cd section was back in action.

A year down the line, the player goes dead. No life when you try to turn it on. I took it to "amp uncle" and found the fuse had blown. Not quite sure how it happened. Unfortunately it is the type of fuse that is soldered to the pcb board. We're off for a trip to SP Road to source the fuse. There is a technical word for such a type of fuse. It is a glass type fuse. Anyway; to reach the fuse and de-solder it required stripping the entire unit so I decided to clean it out. I also decided to take some pictures. It is always interesting to see what goes inside audio gear. I must say, most of components inside are top notch. The speaker unit, as can be seen is a ported but sealed enclosure unit, a bass tube, if you could call it that. What I did find odd was the different driver for the left and right speaker units. I don't know if this had been replaced in the past by the original owners. The amplifier section is handled by a single TDA7375A chip.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/4Ugdobwhavyf3JNR7

The left speaker appears sealed and the right one ported for perhaps more mid bass. So they may be different catering to different range of frequencies.

The left speaker appears sealed and the right one ported for perhaps more mid bass. So they may be different catering to different range of frequencies.

Possible. I am not sure how that port travels on the inside. If you lift the cd lens unit, what is left to see is the plastic speaker enclosure. If you hear the Wave radio cd as a blind test, the bass this little thing belts will fool you in to thing there is a big speaker system in front of you. Unfortunately, there isn't much other than bass and treble. The mids are almost non existent.

The similar looking current Wave radio cd system is far superior to this.

My Bose 3 2 1 stopped working last week.
Bose service centre is useless as in your case. I have to fix it outside. Could you pls give me the contact for 3rd party Bose service that would be of great help to em at his time.

An elderly couple very close to my family wanted to get their 10+ year old Bose Radio CD fixed. The CD lens had packed up. Bose service in Bangalore were useless. I took the player to them and they straight away said they can't repair it as the model is too old. They offered a trade in for a new Wave radio CD player. While they made the trade in deal sound sweet, I later found out that there was nothing sweet about it. The Bose store offered the same price for a new Wave radio CD player without the need to trade in the old unit. We bought a new one from the Bose store.

The elderly couple decided they don't want the old unit and so it was mine. I took it to my "amp uncle" (Relative) who offered to take a look at it. The lens was indeed the problem. He found a replacement lens on Ali Express. It was a Sanyo lens. Problem was we had to buy 5 units minimum. We ordered 5 lenses at a cost of Rs. 1500 shipped. The lens unit arrived in less than a month and the Cd section was back in action.

A year down the line, the player goes dead. No life when you try to turn it on. I took it to "amp uncle" and found the fuse had blown. Not quite sure how it happened. Unfortunately it is the type of fuse that is soldered to the pcb board. We're off for a trip to SP Road to source the fuse. There is a technical word for such a type of fuse. It is a glass type fuse. Anyway; to reach the fuse and de-solder it required stripping the entire unit so I decided to clean it out. I also decided to take some pictures. It is always interesting to see what goes inside audio gear. I must say, most of components inside are top notch. The speaker unit, as can be seen is a ported but sealed enclosure unit, a bass tube, if you could call it that. What I did find odd was the different driver for the left and right speaker units. I don't know if this had been replaced in the past by the original owners. The amplifier section is handled by a single TDA7375A chip.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

https://goo.gl/photos/4Ugdobwhavyf3JNR7

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back