What is Hdmi with Ethernet? How does it work?

Love4sound

I am on the hunt for HDMI cable and have been looking at various models. One spec that recently caught my attention was Hdmi with ethernet. How does that work and how can it be used in out HT setup, Is there any advantage? Share your inputs

I think this is different where they use a cat5/6 cable with HDMI terminals. My question is what is the feature of HDMI cable with Ethernet

Please take a look at third sub-heading; that should give you an answer. What I understood was that there wasn't any benefit.

I have already googled and read the explanation on many articles. My confusion is how do you use it. In the article it is mentioned "This cable feature allows your internet-ready entertainment devices, from gaming consoles to Blu-ray Disc players and more, to share an internet connection without any need for a separate Ethernet cable" My take from that statement is the blu ray players don't need an Ethernet cable to access internet. How does that work is my question. How do you access the internet with a HDMI with Ethernet.

The way I have understood is that this isn't something you can use but instead both source and target devices must have this built-in to make a use of it.
So, let us say source S and a AV receiver have this feature built into them. And Source S has Ethernet input for internet and has an HDMI out. So, when you connect source S to your AV receiver, receiver will be able to share the internet connection despite there isn't any Ethernet going to AV receiver.

btw, I am still reading about this and will share as soon as I get more information.

The way I have understood is that this isn't something you can use but instead both source and target devices must have this built-in to make a use of it.
So, let us say source S and a AV receiver have this feature built into them. And Source S has Ethernet input for internet and has an HDMI out. So, when you connect source S to your AV receiver, receiver will be able to share the internet connection despite there isn't any Ethernet going to AV receiver.

btw, I am still reading about this and will share as soon as I get more information.
Ok sure. Just wanted to know how it is practically implied.

I think what I explained above is correct. Those device that have this thing built-in are known as HEC compliant device. Please go through this link that I found to be informative.

And, thanks for bringing this up because I have such an HDMI cable but never cared to understand what this is. I learnt together with you.

I think what I explained above is correct. Those device that have this thing built-in are known as HEC compliant device. Please go through this link that I found to be informative.

Ok so how do we set it up. For example i connect a lan cable to my bluray player and have the blu ray player connected my denon receiver. So without connecting a lan cable to my avr i can share the internet from my blu ray player?

that is c
Ok so how do we set it up. For example i connect a lan cable to my bluray player and have the blu ray player connected my denon receiver. So without connecting a lan cable to my avr i can share the internet from my blu ray player?

That is correct PROVIDED both BD player and AV receivers are HEC compliant. I just did a quick check and it appears your BD player and AV receivers aren't HEC compliant so, I do not think you can use it.

that is c

That is correct PROVIDED both BD player and AV receivers are HEC compliant. I just did a quick check and it appears your BD player and AV receivers aren't HEC compliant so, I do not think you can use it.
Ok cool. That clears everything. So to summarise first the devices have to be HEC compliant. 2nd we have to get a Hdmi cable with Ethernet. Definitely a useful feature.

I am on the hunt for HDMI cable and have been looking at various models. One spec that recently caught my attention was Hdmi with ethernet. How does that work and how can it be used in out HT setup, Is there any advantage? Share your inputs
just get a 4k Premium Certified cable & story over. Don't rack your brains on stupid Hdmi technology :)

This is the 4k Premium certified cable symbol.

https://www.hdmi.org/images/ccpLabel.png

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back