What is the best way to import a speaker from abroad?

Nagaraj S

Hi all,

I need to import a speaker from abroad (from ebay UK). The speaker is a Tannoy FC center, which is no longer availlable in India.

NEW Tannoy FC Apple 140W Three Way AV Centre Speaker | eBay (thanks to spirovious for sharing this)

1. What is the best and most economical way to do this, since this is the first time I would be importing a speaker?

2. Would you recommend any carried/shipper?

3. Would there be any issues with customs here in India?

4. What do you think would be the estimated shipping cost and customs duty on this product?

Would appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks in advance,

Nagaraj

After a long search, I stumbled upon a very useful and informative thread:
"Aramex Shop & Ship - Get anything from US/UK Toooooo much cheaper than Borderlinx"

That answers all my questions. Thanks to all those who participated in that thread.

I have been using Aramex since last more than a year. they are fast' reasonable and reliable as well. I strongly recommend them.

PS: I am no way concerned with Aramex.

this may not be relevant to the context of this thread but thought i would share the information anyway.
i was making a casual inquiry with Louis of Omega speakers about the possibility of shipping his Super 6 XRS speakers to India.
the shipping price that he managed to get and which he quoted to me in his mail was $550.
even he realised that was steep and offered to look out for a freight forwarder.
my inquiry was just an academic one so i cannot say whether it does cost that kind of money to get speakers shipped from the US to India.

Almost the speaker is 70LBS which is almost 32kgs... Normal shipping rate is by courier mode is upwards $14 to $18 per kg. If any shipper have account with DHL or Fedex they may be able to get at least 20% to 30% discount. This system is very well working in UK and china and final rate working out around $10 to $12 per kg if we ship more weight and combine shipping.

Regards

For a product weighing 32Kgs, Aramex charge US$ 514 for shipping from US. Shipping from UK is not going to be some around this if not more. If I am right customs will be charged at around 27% of the cost product and shipping charges.

Almost the speaker is 70LBS which is almost 32kgs... Normal shipping rate is by courier mode is upwards $14 to $18 per kg. If any shipper have account with DHL or Fedex they may be able to get at least 20% to 30% discount. This system is very well working in UK and china and final rate working out around $10 to $12 per kg if we ship more weight and combine shipping.

Regards
What is the best option in 2022 to get tower speakers from U.S.? I mean low and secure shipping options needed.

What is the best option in 2022 to get tower speakers from U.S.? I mean low and secure shipping options needed.
Best and cheap option is Cargo mode via ship which will come in pallet. Lot of companies in USA are there and they will give quote for that online based on size.

Next in via UPS/ FedEx... Thru agent site you can get 50 to 60% lesser quote than rack rates, which provide door pickup and door delivery to India. However customs duty will be sometimes as per your invoice or if they ( customs) have price list in hand for the particular speaker, it will be charged accordingly.. Pure luck.

Shipping costs have gone up by 10 times in the last 2 years. So shipping is crazy expensive right now. That is not with standing the port congestions, leading to inordinate delays in shipping and receiving stuff at the moment.
International logistic chains are heavily disrupted at the moment. So best is to avoid importing and hand carry stuff if you can,.

Shipping costs have gone up by 10 times in the last 2 years. So shipping is crazy expensive right now. That is not with standing the port congestions, leading to inordinate delays in shipping and receiving stuff at the moment.
International logistic chains are heavily disrupted at the moment. So best is to avoid importing and hand carry stuff if you can,.
Depends on which coast supplier shipping these out, West cost is crazy congested so anything from East should reach faster also these are Less than container load so shouldn't cost much if its on cargo mode.

Aye-Aye Sir. You would know the nitty gritty of this stuff best.
Cheers,
Raghu

However customs duty will be sometimes as per your invoice or if they ( customs) have price list in hand for the particular speaker, it will be charged accordingly.. Pure luck.
Won't the courier company provide the cost or bill for the goods they have delivered at the customs even if they don't have the speaker model on their list ?

I just imported some speakers, shipping via air. The company chose to use Concordia. The duty I paid is mentioned in the customs duty thread -

Won't the courier company provide the cost or bill for the goods they have delivered at the customs even if they don't have the speaker model on their list ?
If the speaker company is not in the list of customs you are lucky.. they will accept your invoice if it is reasonable or else they will put a fair value according to their mind...:):)

If the speaker company is not in the list of customs you are lucky.. they will accept your invoice if it is reasonable or else they will put a fair value according to their mind...:):)
Very true, they do have a mind of their own with such decisions :)

Best and cheap option is Cargo mode via ship which will come in pallet. Lot of companies in USA are there and they will give quote for that online based on size.

Next in via UPS/ FedEx... Thru agent site you can get 50 to 60% lesser quote than rack rates, which provide door pickup and door delivery to India. However customs duty will be sometimes as per your invoice or if they ( customs) have price list in hand for the particular speaker, it will be charged accordingly.. Pure luck.
There are few sites which are giving good rates.

Any idea about these? Both giving FedEx shipping options.
Anyone used their service? Reliability ?

Last edited:
You want to ship a center channel speaker all the way from the UK! Why?
You get excellent options in India that I would not bother going through the trouble of importing one.

If you must have that speaker, the its Fed Ex. Eyes closed. Your speaker will reach in you in a week to 10 days tops.
Yes, you will pay more and customs duty is unavoidable.

Hi,
If you are in Western region or northern region go for Fedex or UPS, if you are in southern region like Bengaluru, chennai or kerala better to go with UPS.. Reason is Fedex hub is in Banglore and the customs scrutiny and charges are more and no pre-shipment happens with Fedex.. While with UPS the clearance hub is in mumbai and most of the shipment will get cleared very easily in pre-shipment mode itself with submitted documents and few overvalued or suspicious items only get cleared after inspection by customs. Most of the UPS shipment will reach within 4 to 7 days.

Check www.parcelmonkey.com for discounted prices to get from USA. They will give upto 70% discounted rates from fedex and UPS and DHL rack rates.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back