What is the function of internal DSP in Studio Monitors/Powered Speakers?

rajafan

Few years ago, I had Swans M200MKIII+(powered speakers). Highs were absent. It may be due to placement or room acoustics. I tried to increase the highs via EQ from laptop as well the treble knob on the speakers. There were subtle changes in the sound but the response to EQ was extremely poor. I think the internal DSP adjusts the sound output to a fixed house curve resulting in almost same sound signature. DSP cutting down the peak to avoid clipping/distortion is understandable. But I couldn't understand this behavior.

I would like to know if this behavior is specific to this speaker or all studio monitors/ powered speakers with built-in DSP behave in similar fashion leaving no room for EQ.

Few years ago, I had Swans M200MKIII+(powered speakers). Highs were absent. It may be due to placement or room acoustics. I tried to increase the highs via EQ from laptop as well the treble knob on the speakers. There were subtle changes in the sound but the response to EQ was extremely poor. I think the internal DSP adjusts the sound output to a fixed house curve resulting in almost same sound signature. DSP cutting down the peak to avoid clipping/distortion is understandable. But I couldn't understand this behavior.

I would like to know if this behavior is specific to this speaker or all studio monitors/ powered speakers with built-in DSP behave in similar fashion leaving no room for EQ.
I do not think the swans would have immediately corrected the treble of the speaker, but rather it would have had a tweeter which had been been partially damaged. Or may be you forgot to the turn „on“ the eq? Happened To me many times;) I slide the eq and I hear the difference and then after some time I realize that the toggle is off.

As mentioned by you, the Swans M200MKIII are just "Powered Speakers".... ie Speakers with a built in amplifier (with Bass & Treble tone control in the case of the Swans M200MKIII).

Even as far as powered speakers go, the Swans M200MKIII are technically very Basic... One Power Amplifier for Each channel., ie thge Woofer and Tweeter are fed by the same amplifier, with the Treble Tone control used to obtain more treble.

It seems apparent to me that since the treble was very low in your speakers, and the tone control hardly increased the treble, the tweeters were probably damaged.

Better Powered Speakers will have separate amplifiers feeding each of the Drivers, ie separate amplifiers for the Tweeter & Woofer of Each Channel (a total of 4 amplifiers in a 2 way Stereo Speaker). Separate Amps for each driver permit an active (analog) electronic crossover to be used. A crossover separates the incoming signal for each driver, for optimal reproduction by that driver.

Powered speakers are VERY Basic compared to DSP Monitors that you mention in your subject line.

DSP (short for “Digital Signal Processing”) processes the Signal in the DIGITAL Domain, where very precise & elaborate Signal processing is possible. A Digital Audio Signal is required for DSP, hence either the speaker will accept a Digital Input signal (SPDIF / TOSLINK, USB or whatever ) or take the analog input signal & covert it to Digital using an A to D Converter.

The Digital Signal is then Processed (DSP).

The Processed Digital Signal is reconverted back to analog before feedig it to the drivers.

Often separate DSP processing, (with separate A to D and DACs ) is used for each Driver.

The KII Three is a Good example of a good DSP Active Speaker System. (Cost Rs 17 Lakhs+ ;) )

First unit of Swans had problem with the remote and was replaced. But both units behaved in same manner. Also the chances for both tweeters getting damaged in both speakers are remote.

Do other studio monitors/powered speakers with built-in DSP respond to the EQ?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back