What is your favourite music instrument to play?

When I was young, I could play harmonium, keyboard and some flute. I wanted to play classics on violin but never persued it honestly.

Violin (carnatic, not Western) would be, if I had a hope in hell of ever getting one note in tune, let alone of memorising ragas and compositions. But I don't.

Western instruments: flute or oboe would be great.

But the one instrument I ever got anywhere at all with, and that gave me the great experience of performing with others, is the morsing. So I guess I love the morsing best :)

Love playing the drums though seldom it makes sense, just love the instrument, and i love the bass guitar too.. Have always ensured proper noise pollution pouding on my drummer's Tama :eek:hyeah:

I love playing a nice jazz drumset (preferabe DW, PEARL or TAMA) but also do play the Congo, Bongo, Rythm Guitar!

Love to play the Sax but it's quite hard. Need to start soon! Still seem to be better with the drums as I used to play in school for the school music band, then later in college and we played in BITS Pilani, MCC Chennai etc. In the 1990s we were one of the top college bands (Christ College), later we had a dedicated jazz band.

Remembere I had a nice drumset at home and my mom was a heart patient and she said either the drums stay at home or me, so out went the drums!:sad: It's been years since my Mom is no more and it's high time I get a nice drumset.

I love playing a nice jazz drumset (preferabe DW, PEARL or TAMA) but also do play the Congo, Bongo, Rythm Guitar!

Love to play the Sax but it's quite hard. Need to start soon! Still seem to be better with the drums as I used to play in school for the school music band, then later in college and we played in BITS Pilani, MCC Chennai etc. In the 1990s we were one of the top college bands (Christ College), later we had a dedicated jazz band.

Remembere I had a nice drumset at home and my mom was a heart patient and she said either the drums stay at home or me, so out went the drums!:sad: It's been years since my Mom is no more and it's high time I get a nice drumset.

Hey Absolute - Good stuff. Ive played a few gigs at MCC chennai as well and a few more places that I cant remember now (weird). Loved the MCC campus :)

What was the name of your band in Christ. My best friends from school started off Galeej Gurus in Christ. We played togther in school.

Cheers...

learnt mridangam for 5 years before "competitive" exams and a change of city for studies did the rest. Even now my fingers can play on their own when i listen to the mridangam - obviously not as well as i would like to. I was the youngest in my class and i remember my teachers stare / glances when i had come to class w/o practice.

:))

Learning arts makes a human more complete.. you tend to establish connections with your inner self..and if you immerse yourself.. establish connections beyond ( in a spiritual way )

its is also one of the ways to de-stress and recharge.

mpw

Hey Absolute - Good stuff. Ive played a few gigs at MCC chennai as well and a few more places that I cant remember now (weird). Loved the MCC campus :)

Cheers...
MCC, OMG The Only College i have heard which won most of the the Prizes in CULTURAL Events across TN's Inter College functions..

Great Boys:):yahoo:

I have great love towards MCC..

By the way i dont know to play any instrument, But love Violin and Veenai:)
If any of the FM's plans for a Musical Meet(As Like AV Meet),Please do share the invite to me, Will be happy to be seated as audience
:lol:

Used to play the mridangam and khanjira during my school and college days. Currently the occasional concert- am on the Mridangam in this concert on YouTube.

Last edited:
Nice :)
...If any of the FM's plans for a Musical Meet(As Like AV Meet),Please do share the invite to me, Will be happy to be seated as audience:lol:

HFJ jam session! Nice idea.

I've taken part in a couple of those that came about through the rasikas.org site, although the last one, a couple of weeks back, taught me how futile it is to try and play when one does not practice at all :rolleyes:. Especially when the other participants are competent musicians.

But... getting together to make music, mistakes and all accepted, is a great thing to do.

Nice :)

HFJ jam session! Nice idea.

I've taken part in a couple of those that came about through the rasikas.org site, although the last one, a couple of weeks back, taught me how futile it is to try and play when one does not practice at all :rolleyes:. Especially when the other participants are competent musicians.

But... getting together to make music, mistakes and all accepted, is a great thing to do.

Mr. Mirudhangam (Sorry am very comfort in using this Pen name for you)

We have lots of Classic concert going on in Chennai Sangeet utsav, Thiruvaiaaru,Etc etc..

Possibly we can IDENTIFY THE TALENTED FM's in Forum and organize a Musical Show.

Compared to The AV meet ,Musical meet would be very Minimal cost wise, also can engage most of the music lovers( From Indian classic to Western Folk), Veenai to Guitar:) Parai to Drums:)

One set of PA System with 4-5Mic's, small or average room, 20-30 Seats and a stage:)+Snacks ,coffee\Tea

We can make it Once in a month too:), if its has more response

WHAT SAY?:)Lets stop the addiction of Utube videos and move towards Live.. I i reckon Your THILLANA in Mirudhangam would be Highlight:):eek:hyeah:

Well, I request to be called Morsing Man! ---as, even when I was attending lessons I did not have facility to play mridangam in public.

You can me Mr Adi-talam-samam-eddupu man, too :eek: :lol: Thillanas, varnams and other non-sarva-laghu stuff has to be memorised, or embarrassment results :lol:

(Or one has to be a real musician: I watched one of my favourite violinists learing a thillana, as she played it on stage, the other day! This is the sort of thing that so hugely impresses me about carnatic musicians, and, actually, especially accompanists.

But, as I said, an informal jam, even if classical-based, where everybody enjoys and nobody cares about mistakes --- is really great fun.

I play the flute a bit. I am learning more from a flutist. Hoping to make it big. When playing the flute, it feels like meditating. Really Enjoy playing it.

Well I play guitar. Was a part of a band and everything until a few months ago. Now I'm a post grad and will start working :p I have a BC Rich Warbeast guitar at the moment.

I'm planning to buy a Parker Fly sometime soon. I have never come across a better guitar overall! Amazing feel and sounds amazing!

Fly-Mojo-Flame-900b.jpg

But for a change i love to play the bass guitar..just love the feel of it! Sounds very soft and powerful :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Well, I request to be called Morsing Man!

Or Inspector Morse!

Jokes apart, a small suggestion: If OP is comfortable converting this thread into a recruiting thread for jam sessions / live performances, you should probably include vocalists as well as the thread currently only refers to music instruments.

Personally, I've nursed delusions of playing the guitar for many a year now. Maybe this year will be the year :)

I'm a drummer mate! Just love playing the drums.

Back in the day, my best kit used to be a Tama Set with some excellent Paiste Symbols.

Ahh, still remeber those boils on my hands after a serious jam session.

Cheers...

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back