What makes the difference AVR or Speakers?

gotovamsee

Hello Friends,

I have a 5 home theater system with Sony STRDB870 coupled with Sensei Speakers (2 Floor Standing, 2 Rear, 1 center but no subwoofer).

I have connected my TataSky+, Wii, Asus Oplay Air, & Phillips DVD Player and even though many appreciate the sound from my setup, I doubt the surround sound especially the motion effect and also I feel lack of detail sometimes.

Now can some one tell me, what makes the difference here with the following options:

1) Got an offer to sell my 6.1ch Sony AVR for 22k so I can replace that with 7.2 Onkyo RC260 adding another 5-6k to it.
Dont you think 22k is a good offer for my AVR bought 2 yrs back?

2) Buy a Subwoofer to complete my 5.1 channel setup

3) Buy new Jamo/Polk 5.1 speakers replacing the current speakers.

So what could be a cost effective solution for me from the options above?

Hello Friends,

I have a 5 home theater system with Sony STRDB870 coupled with Sensei Speakers (2 Floor Standing, 2 Rear, 1 center but no subwoofer).

I have connected my TataSky+, Wii, Asus Oplay Air, & Phillips DVD Player and even though many appreciate the sound from my setup, I doubt the surround sound especially the motion effect and also I feel lack of detail sometimes.

Now can some one tell me, what makes the difference here with the following options:

1) Got an offer to sell my 6.1ch Sony AVR for 22k so I can replace that with 7.2 Onkyo RC260 adding another 5-6k to it.

I saw one Jamo package in hypercity today ... Sound / looks both are nice. They are paired with some Onkyo receiver... Couldnot listen more as the crowd was toomuch... Give it a listen.

If you plan a complete replacement (amp + speakers), it is recommended to first choose the speakers based on your room size and personal preference.
Then get an AVR that can drive your speakers and handle all of your sources.
Buy 'good' cables to match and if you have some more budget, spend it on acoustic treatment/correction of your room (Aesthetics could be an issue if you do not have a dedicated room).
Audition each item before deciding.

Hello Friends,

I think Sensei is a product of e-zone.

Yes you are right.. Sensei is a product of ezone but gives decent sound. I did not buy Subwoofer from that speaker package though.

Also if you observe, my home theater setup is not bad with all the required components with enough room space.

Now my question is only that, what makes it more better??

Is that a new AVR / Subwoofer / Expensive speaker set which one you suggest me in my situation by selling off the old one??

Hello Friends,

There seems to be no problem with your A/v receiver even though SONY is not recomended for AVR market. It has 90w RMS power more than sufficient.But you are missing crucial component in your home theater system- a Subwoofer.
Even though some Floor standing speakers have in built bass component , it cannot handle LFE as subwoofer does. Get one woofer as trial from some one and try.
Problem may be with the sensei speakers.. I am not much aware of this product so i cant comment much. Audition some good speakers or take your SONY AVR to speakers showroom and try with different speakers.

Even it doesnt work ..go with complete new system.

There seems to be no problem with your A/v receiver even though SONY is not recomended for AVR market. It has 90w RMS power more than sufficient.But you are missing crucial component in your home theater system- a Subwoofer.
Even though some Floor standing speakers have in built bass component , it cannot handle LFE as subwoofer does. Get one woofer as trial from some one and try.
Problem may be with the sensei speakers.. I am not much aware of this product so i cant comment much. Audition some good speakers or take your SONY AVR to speakers showroom and try with different speakers.

Even it doesnt work ..go with complete new system.

Thats is what I wanted... Good suggestion bro, I will try get a sub rather than buying a new AVR. Last resort would be going for a complete replacement.

My only reason pulling towards buying a new Onkyo RC260 was that I got an offer to sell my SONY AVR for 22k... Isnt it tempting??

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back