What power conditioners do you use?

essrand

I am thinking of improving the power supply quality to my stereo system.

Wondering what my options are. Any one achieve good success with some brand they would like to recommend?

Thanks in advance.

For safety of all equipments you should have a good earthing. It is always neglected.
Use CVT to maintain correct voltage. The fault current, surge and spikes can be eliminated by IST.
Next the filters can be used along with IST or a separate line conditioner can be used.
But only one line conditioner can't help.

What is CVT and IST?

It will be best if you tell us about your stereo system and approximate budget.
I want to know more about what people are doing for good power supply and what are they using.
I am not yet looking to buy a equipment just yet.
That being said my budget is under 1L, and my amps are coincident 300b monoblocks, and dac/preamp Amr dp777

I have a dedicated line installed to my listening room from the MCB. After that I use a 3kva Vertex servo stabilizer, and after that I use sine saf 30A power conditioner. Cable from Servo to Sine is an audio art power 1 classic power cable. I am quite satisfied. I am looking to upgrade to a higher performing sine conditioner. I considered Shunayata prior to Sine, but pricing in India (and 230v models in general) is high and having owned Shunyata before I feel Sine is doing as good a job.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Hi,

I have a dedicated line connected to an Emerson 3KVA Online UPS. The UPS currently feeds a Barracuda Dist. box (from Soundfoundations). I am considering a PS Audio Power Conditioner but not sure if it will add value

A surge protector is a must. Buy a good quality one with minimum 1500+ joules. I have no experience with power conditioners but have heard once in a high end mcintosh setup and there was absolutely no perceptible difference.

I use APC 3kva online UPS. Since the online UPS already has active power filters, its not good to have too many in the chain. For example, the barracuda makes sense when you are taking the line straight from the distribution box. Power conditioners are typically in a different league. Not sure if surge protectors are recommended for audio equipment, will probably cause more harm than good.

I use a Plixir Balanced Power Transformer. I did experiment with CVT and found the CVT and Balanced to be indistinguishable audibly. Balanced Transformer gives you nearly all the advantages of a CVT, except voltage stabilization. Both of them, filter out spikes, surges, provides isolation, common mode noise rejection ( CVT principally is immune to this due to Ferro-Resonance, whereas Balanced Transformer does this by Bifilar Windings), smps injected RF etc. As far as I know, not all equipments are able to handle a balanced power supply equally (e.g. the if the ground and neutral are connected in the equipment). Although, Balanced Power Transformer / Ultra Isolation Transformer / Class II Medical Isolation Transformer are essentially same but pricing varies wildly for the same thing just like most Audiophile equipments in the name of quality, asthetics and brand.

Last edited:
I use a Plixir Balanced Power Transformer. I did experiment with CVT and found the CVT and Balanced to be indistinguishable audibly. Balanced Transformer gives you nearly all the advantages of a CVT, except voltage stabilization. Both of them, filter out spikes, surges, provides isolation, common mode noise rejection ( CVT principally is immune to this due to Ferro-Resonance, whereas Balanced Transformer does this by Bifilar Windings), smps injected RF etc. As far as I know, not all equipments are able to handle a balanced power supply equally (e.g. the if the ground and neutral are connected in the equipment). Although, Balanced Power Transformer / Ultra Isolation Transformer / Class II Medical Isolation Transformer are essentially same but pricing varies wildly for the same thing just like most Audiophile equipments in the name of quality, asthetics and brand.

That is my current thinking as well. To go for a dedicated line and install a isolating transformer. Hopefully that should do it, instead of very expensive power conditioners or regenerators (which probably do the same thing).
My dad's an electrical engineer, its time I put his knowledge to work in my crazy audiophile quest :)

Even Shindo (my fave audio brand) has a Mr. T which is essentially a isolation transformer, which tells me this is the way to go.

That is my current thinking as well. To go for a dedicated line and install a isolating transformer. Hopefully that should do it, instead of very expensive power conditioners or regenerators (which probably do the same thing).
My dad's an electrical engineer, its time I put his knowledge to work in my crazy audiophile quest :)

Even Shindo (my fave audio brand) has a Mr. T which is essentially a isolation transformer, which tells me this is the way to go.

Actually, trying to solve “Electrical” problems with “Electronics” is an excellent business model but its effectiveness is questionable. Probably, thats why two top of the line Audiophile Power Conditioners namely, PS Audio P10, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 uses Balanced Transformer. Even the Furman Reference 20i is Balanced. In my workplace where equipment which works on measuring few electron volts of difference based on different spin orientation or quantum state of electrons, relies solely in Balanced Transformer. In my personal experience the best setup is to use CVT for low power equipments and Balanced Power for high power ones.

What (if there is) is the difference between an isolation transformer and a balanced transformer?

Hi Essrand, I have used many power conditioners in the past. I have had the Shunyata Hydra, Alan Kafton Powerwing, Running Spring Audio Haley, Audience Adept, BPT Balanced Power and a CVT

Of these I liked the BPT balanced power and the CVT. The only problem with CVT is it hums and cannot be kept in the same room.

Presently I don’t use any power treatment but have ordered the Environmental Potential EP 2050 and the EP 2750. One is a waveform corrector and the other is a ground filter. Both these have to be connected at the mains panel. It’s more like a whole house treatment.

What (if there is) is the difference between an isolation transformer and a balanced transformer?

Isolation transformer is simply a transformer which have the same number of windings in primary and secondary. It provides galvanic isolation from primary to secondary, and also stops any DC component present in the primary from reaching the secondary.

On the other hand, I haven't figured out how a balanced transformer is wired, but I've measured the voltages on my friend's incoming mains supply where he has fitted a balanced transformer fed from two different phases.

I measured 230V between what is usually line and neutral in a 3-pin outlet, 115V between line and earth, and 115V between neutral and earth. I couldn't figure out where his earth was, if there was one. Also, I don't know if it's necessary to feed it from two separate phases like he does.

Bifilar Balanced Transformer.png

Just a few sentences on top of jls001's explanation. A Balanced Transformer in simple words, is a center-tapped transformer with "Bifilar" winding. It would typically give out +/-110v and -/+ 110v (mark the polarity reversal) with reverse phase in the output. Essentially, both the wires become live-wire but their net potential difference remains 220v.

“Quantum state of electrons” Are you a Physicist by education ? Glad to hear these statements here. Been an avid follower and experimental junkie in Quantum devices myself during good old days.

Not a physicist but my work involves mathematics of different flavors and genre, physics, bio-chemistry as well as electronics and mechatronics.

Last edited:
Hi i use the TRANSPARENT AUDIO MM2 power isolators . The are phenomenal and i heard an immediate differce when i added them on tho my chain.
Cheers!
Anand

@essrand- I am glad that you are thinking about a clean power supply for your audio/video system. This is really one of the fundamental items which if not built properly will limit audio/video performance regardless of the quality of A/V components that you have in your music/HT room. However it's a vast area and you could easily spend a fortune on different power components yet not be satisfied. I am certainly not an expert in this area but there are few basic steps that one could take before getting into power conditioners...
1. Use dedicate circuit (20 Amp preferable) one or more to power your entire A/V system
- Use 10 gauge wire for these lines
2. Use audiophile quality wall receptacles in your music/HT room
3. Ensure proper grounding at main electricity breaker board/panel. There should be only one ground for the entire house
4. Install a whole-house surge protection device (if available in India) at the main AC panel
5. Use audiophile quality distribution box (use those which internally use star grounding) to power A/V components if you are running short of wall receptacles
6. Use aftermarket quality power cables to feed to all A/V components

Power Conditioners, unlike above list of items, don't always enhance A/V system performance. For example if you have power hungry amplifiers most power conditioners degrade their performance. The rule of thumb here is to use any good quality power conditioner to power components like source, pre-amplifiers, TV/Monitors, etc which require very little power for their operation. For very power hungry components like amplifiers, sub-woofers, etc the easiest approach is to plug them straight to the wall outlet which has least amount of negative impact on the performance of these units. If you really like to take it to the next level then you have to trial different power conditioners in house and pick the one that actually beats the wall receptacle performance.
I don't use any power conditioner in my system but when I am ready I would be auditioning Balanced Power Transformers. I have spoken to few reputed amplifier manufacturers like Parasound and they seem to like these products because these units with adequate power typically don't restrict current to downstream components.
Hope this helps.
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow!
Thank you, Indranil, for such an amazing writeup.

I will start with #1 and #2 in your basic steps and see where it goes and report back.
Makes sense to start there instead of jumping into conditioners and transformers (and probably cheaper as well).

BTW where are you based in the USA? I used to live in San Francisco for 13 years before moving back to India.

Hi,
I am using the Xindak power processor pc 200. My amp is the Xindak A600e. Working well and sounds better than without it. Price is what you are looking at.

I might be placing an offer on a Shindo Mr T power conditioner this week. Will update if that happens.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back