what should be the distance between woofer & tweeter?? (in a diy two way BS)

Naveenbnc

Hello All,
How do we determine the distance between the woofer and tweeter in a 2way BS?
I mean, how close or how far away they can be placed?
I read somewhere that it depends on the crossover, but not very sure.
Any suggestions please ....

Thanks in advance,
Naveen

thank you Yogibear ...

For 3000Hz, the wavelength is 11.4cm
Im using an 8" woofer.
So even if I place the woofer and tweeter touching each other, the CTC will be around 13.5cm (more than 1 wavelength)

So as you said, we just have to place as close as possible. (if my understanding is correct)

@yogibear Ji, even at 24db slope it is extremely unsafe to cross tweeters at the f/s point.
It is always safer to be an octave or above.

Regarding speaker positioning, keeping them close and in perfect vertical axis is the safest bet.
Second important thing is to always flush mount drivers and work out a physical time alignment by having the tweeters a little recessed compared to the woofer.

Whatever you do, the biggest challenge is going to be the crossover. That is what decides on the performance and the hardest to configure.

Does need in-depth knowledge of the speaker parameters, designing softwares and hardware tools.

It will be one long and interesting learning curve.

If you get a grip of this, sky is the limit and you can build seriously good speakers at an extremely affordable price.

the biggest challenge is going to be the crossover. That is what decides on the performance and the hardest to configure.
The crossover design is in safe hands. Aniket is going to help me.
The only thing I may screwup is the enclosure design:D:D
I am learning now. After getting some grip on the enclosure design, I will learn crossovers.

Yes Kannan, though to be safe, I would always cross tweeter about 500 Hz above it’s Fs even at 24dB slope.

Naveen, not to dampen your spirits but if you are starting your DIY journey with a 2 way BS, and have already bought a midrange/woofer, then search for popular designs already published. Else you can look for popular BS DIY builds.

It’s a lot about drivers, enclosures and passive networks where all have to work together for a coherent design.

My attempts and experiments drew me to extended and full range drivers to make my life simpler and more musical and I nearly did away with crossovers. (At least so far...) Single point reproduction again came with its own benefits and unmatched imaging.

And open baffle was again huge relief as the whole cabinet making was done away with and I rather saved and invested on drivers and amps.

But everyone has his own learning curve and it’s a rewarding hobby..... Good Luck with your attempts.
what you said is really true !!!
As I understand, all the soldiers exhausted with 2 way, 3way, and multi way designs seek refuge in fullrange eventually !!!:D:D
May be I will also end up there ....
Dr.Karthik recently made OB and he is very happy with it.

Coming to OB, is it suitable for HT?
I mean, can can we make Left, right and center with Full range Open baffle???

As I understand, all the soldiers exhausted with 2 way, 3way, and multi way designs seek refuge in fullrange eventually !!!:D:D
May be I will also end up there ....
Dr.Karthik recently made OB and he is very happy with it.

Coming to OB, is it suitable for HT?
I mean, can can we make Left, right and center with Full range Open baffle???

I am from the diametrically opposite pole. I started with mammoth full rangers, mostly old school and ended up with multiway active setups.
Will never revert back to full rangers.
I find modern drivers offer much more in the plate in terms of compactness, performance and efficiency.

I am from the diametrically opposite pole. I started with mammoth full rangers, mostly old school and ended up with multiway active setups.
Will never revert back to full rangers.
I find modern drivers offer much more in the plate in terms of compactness, performance and efficiency.
Interesting :):)

If OB and Full range can do all the magic, why the heck the whole drama with multi way and enclosures ??

Your quote is the answer for this i guess.
Looks like Each has its own benefits !!!

@yogibear sirji you too should listen to my 2-way modded Infinity sprakes.
I love their signature off my Class A amp, but they sound pretty good with Class AB aswell.
The tweeters are the venerated polycell, just a step below the Emits.
The woofer is IMG.

I do a lot of editing work from home (mostly at night) so listen for long hours.

I'm not going to buy right now, but just asking....
If we place an order, they cost us only the dollar conversion price?? Or any additional charges like customers etc ??

If I design a first order filter, the wave length at crossover frequency is the distance between the woofer and tweeters center. At higher orders this won't any way matter as there is a phase reversal.

Customs charges are a skillful evil concoction of taxes that will eventually work to approximately 40-50% of your (cost+shipping)

Oh, and the postman's baksheesh as well.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back