What to buy thread from a Novice

bindi13

Hello,

First of all apologies if you have seen such kind of threads way too often but I really needed some advice before spending money on my first HT.
Here are the details:

1. My LED TV speaker is on the way of slow death. Can not hear properly and also hear bit of crackling noise at high volume level. So I was hoping to invest in HT rather than buying another TV with substandard sound quality.

2. Primary requirement is 50% movies (majority through DTH Tata Sky HD box) and music (majority through Bluetooth through phone + hoping to buy a chromcast as well).

3. I am currently in a rented accommodation (13 x 10 with approx 9' ceiling). Distance to watch TV is approx 9-10 feet). I may move into a different place or own place in a year's time. I understand it may have some impact on what to buy but need this kind of flexibility for us nomads who have to move due to job.

MY budget is 30K (max top 40K). Due to me being a novice (have been reading a lot here and other places), i am bit overwhelmed with complexity involved with setting up separates. HTiB seems to be easier option for me but I am open to work towards separates if needed. I am open to buy lovingly used seconds (I am in Delhi NCR) if needed to fit my budget. So far I have narrowed down to YHT299 and Onkyo 3700. I had down an audition of 299 before but it was in an noisy area with customers passing through the place so not sure how it will sound in actually audition room.

My main queries:
- Considering me a moving person, should I invest in a HTiB or Separates or give up this dream and settle for a cheaper pair of bookshelfs for TV?

- Are my choice of HTiBs ok or there any other in similar range?

- If going for separates, any possibly options?

- Would prefer to have 4K and Wifi options if available without comprising quality but not must. BT is definitely needed.

Hi,

Entry level systems from Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo etc. Should help change the movie and music experience.

Yes there are good systems pre owned available on Hi Fi ads and even For Sale by owner section.

If you are not too keen on surrounds, go for a stereo setup of amp + a pair of speakers...

Audition and decide, everyone has different requirements, budget, quality expectation and appearance.

Thanks for the response. Yes I will audition these at few places before actually parting with my cash. Yes i am interested in surrounds, hence inclined for HT. I am regularly checking owner's thread to see if something which fits my bill, however will prefer to buy this locally to be able to see.

Hi

You can audition all the systems as you like....also keep an eye on For Sale by Owner section and Hi Fi Ads...there are many ads coming with good stuff ...don't miss out....

Can you look at some of my key questions above please? Is it OK to buy HT if I have to move ... I guess it may be of not much use of room at new place is having different layout?

Yes audition is critical...but do the experts here already know if a particular HT is a clear no go because of certain issues?

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

HT setups can be a pain for a novice to setup, but in all a great learning experience, you eventually have to start somewhere, so maybe this is your rite to passage.

The veterans of the community here are giving you some valuable information on HT setups. However, if you have space/movement/setup/ease of use constraints, I would suggest you should look at a few entry level sound bars. Though they can't be compared to a full HT setup; can be a significant and pleasant improvement over your TV's sound. I understand that your source is mostly TS HD and Streaming, so I believe a decent sound bar should do justice to your need within your budget. Check out some of the entry level soundbars from Yamaha or Sony. I have helped some friends set these up in their small PGs or one room setups and they love having almost no wires.

Thanks!

So, if you want to go the soundbar route check out the following:

Sony HT-CT390 : https://goo.gl/nRLW6a

It is wireless, so you can place your sub anywhere in the room, has inbuilt bluetooth and NFC, the sound bar is super sleek and hardly takes any space, the sound quality is pretty good if not outstanding. There are many other options available online if you please.

The limitations, when considering a system like this are aplenty; your ability for future upgrades, connectivity options, sound quality when compared to a full surround sound system, however, personally I have always found them very useful for a setup where convenience plays a large part in decision making. These systems can never compare to a full HT setup, though sometimes, the convenient features like - BT, NFC, wireless subwoofer, required space, placement perfection, ease of setup, less wires, massive improvement over TV audio, portability to name a few; more or less favor such setups.

If you look to build your HT set-up and with a max budget of 40K, i would suggest you to consider a Pioneer entry level 5.1 AVR and a pair of BS for your budget..

This should do decent enough for you requirements.. When you relocate and have some cash, then start adding speakers one by one..

Thanks for responses fellas. I guess it's time for me to do some window shopping. One more question... considering my requirements which may not change for next 5 yrs, why an entry level HTiB is not preferable than a DIY set up of AVR + BS?

considering my requirements which may not change for next 5 yrs, why an entry level HTiB is not preferable than a DIY set up of AVR + BS?

Speakers in HTIB package are not as good as the one's you would buy now.. They might be fine for movies, but since you have music usage too, you may not feel impressive..

If you don't want to spend any more money than you have now, HTIB would be a better choice..

Speakers in HTIB package are not as good as the one's you would buy now.. They might be fine for movies, but since you have music usage too, you may not feel impressive..

If you don't want to spend any more money than you have now, HTIB would be a better choice..
Thanks. I think you have given a very logical answer...I can search for good entry level AVR but how to ensure it will go perfect with Speakers. As I have to buy both which may be St different time/place how to ensure both will sync. Also any advice for good BS?

Can I simply buy AVR and BS now (should meet my said requirements) and postpone Sub and Rears for later?

HT setups can be a pain for a novice to setup, but in all a great learning experience, you eventually have to start somewhere, so maybe this is your rite to passage.

The veterans of the community here are giving you some valuable information on HT setups. However, if you have space/movement/setup/ease of use constraints, I would suggest you should look at a few entry level sound bars. Though they can't be compared to a full HT setup; can be a significant and pleasant improvement over your TV's sound. I understand that your source is mostly TS HD and Streaming, so I believe a decent sound bar should do justice to your need within your budget. Check out some of the entry level soundbars from Yamaha or Sony. I have helped some friends set these up in their small PGs or one room setups and they love having almost no wires.

Thanks!
Thanks man. I thought about Sound bar route which no doubt looks good but due to future limitations, I am more keen for a 5.1 or DIY HT route.

Thanks. I think you have given a very logical answer...I can search for good entry level AVR but how to ensure it will go perfect with Speakers.

It may be difficult to audition the AVR along with speakers that you are looking for.. Try your luck..

As I have to buy both which may be St different time/place how to ensure both will sync.

Don't worry.. It wouldn't sound bad.. but try to get a demo if possible and then decide..

Also any advice for good BS?

Boston Acoustics A 26 Bookshelf Speaker (Pair, Black Finish)

Taga Harmony Platinum B-40 Bookshelf Speakers (PAIR)

I haven't heard both... If you like them, try to read reviews about the speakers, it should give you fair idea before you decide..

Can I simply buy AVR and BS now (should meet my said requirements) and postpone Sub and Rears for later?

That would be best idea to build your set-up..

Just a pointer - It is better to have a center speaker from the same brand and same family if possible.. Surrounds and sub can be from any brand..

Hey Bindi,

I agree with Elangoas on that one. The fronts and the center from the same family and a sub and rears unmatched work mostly (though I would still like to buy the rears from the same family too). Considering your budget of 40K (MAX) and you willing to go the DIY route and building your system over a period of time, I support your decision and Elangoas' suggestion of going for the AVR and BS for now, though as he suggested you should look for a center too and try to include it in your first part of the purchase.

I am in the middle of building a new surround sound system for myself too and have a few suggestions if you please:

For BS: Considering you want something musical too, these monitors are well regarded for music as well, specially the Diamond 220s. The centers for Wharfedales are largely available, however the supply for Boston Acoustics is not that reliable. Boston Acoustics A26s are highly revered though.
Wharfedale Diamond 210
Wharfedale Diamond 220

AVR: The AVRs, here it gets tricky. Have you looked at some used ones? See the one below, nothing to write home about, though not badly reviewed:

Pioneer VSX 322K

You can look at some of the entry level AVRs, but they might not do justice to your system, however a used AVR can be acquired for way less, I would go that way as I have in the past plenty of times.

Thanks,

I support your decision and Elangoas' suggestion of going for the AVR and BS for now, though as he suggested you should look for a center too and try to include it in your first part of the purchase.

I am trying to find such combinations within my budget.

For BS: Considering you want something musical too, these monitors are well regarded for music as well, specially the Diamond 220s. The centers for Wharfedales are largely available, however the supply for Boston Acoustics is not that reliable. Boston Acoustics A26s are highly revered though.
Wharfedale Diamond 210
Wharfedale Diamond 220

You seem to be correct as I found more Wharfdales than BAs here...I am sure even if I buy an entry AVR, BAs and Center...I'll cross my max budget.

AVR: The AVRs, here it gets tricky. Have you looked at some used ones?

[/QUOTE]

I am open for used products though prefer to buy locally (Delhi NCR)...been looking at owners' thread.

Hello, How is Pioneer VSX 531. This I plan to use with BA A26 bookshelf

Hi

Pioneer VSX 531 is decent enough...check all features and decide if it meets your current requirements before purchase.....how much are you getting it for?

Hi

Pioneer VSX 531 is decent enough...check all features and decide if it meets your current requirements before purchase.....how much are you getting it for?

Haven't hit the road yet, but my friend Google suggest anything between 30-34K. However it doesn't seem to have good presence on e-commerce sites yet! Will see in offline stores soon.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back