What to do with DVD's and VCD's which are not used?

sam9953

Hi guys, I have got several DVD's and mostly VCD's which are all original and belong to good music companies like Shemaroo and Moser Bear. But the trouble is that I don't watch any of them now. I want to know what is the best thing to do with them? Can I sell them, if yes then, where? or can I do something else with them?

You cannot sell them on HFV.

What one of our members - Vinay - did was to give them away free to members.

When you say several, how many are you talking about?

Cheers

You cannot sell them on HFV.

What one of our members - Vinay - did was to give them away free to members.

When you say several, how many are you talking about?

Cheers

I have got two questions:
First, why is that I cannot sell them on this forum, I mean I am not breaking any copyright laws or something right, nor it can be called piracy? Please correct me if I am wrong.
Second, did he actually just give them all away for free? I mean those VCD's cost Rs 150 each and sometimes even more and he just gave them away for free?

By several I mean at least 15 hindi VCD's and 5 english VCD's and also around 5 English song CD's which I want to get rid off.

Last edited:
I have got two questions:
First, why is that I cannot sell them on this forum, I mean I am not breaking any copyright laws or something right, nor it can be called piracy? Please correct me if I am wrong.

Second, did he actually just give them all away for free? I mean those VCD's cost Rs 150 each and sometimes even more and he just gave them away for free?

By several I mean at least 15 hindi VCD's and 5 english VCD's and also around 5 English song CD's which I want to get rid off.

We were allowing sale of media sometime ago, but we had a number of members who were misusing the option, and got a lot of complaints from members. In particular, we had a few unscrupulous dealers who were pawning off second hand stuff as new.

Vinay gave away over 100 original DVDs and paid for the courier himself. There are members who have 100s of DVDs and audio CDs. Frankly, your numbers are not even worth worrying about. Just give it away to your maid, driver or a friend. You will find very few takers for VCDs. I doubt anybody would be ready to pay more than 10-15 Rupees for a VCD. New ones are less than 30-40.

Cheers

Last edited:
We were allowing sale of media sometime ago, but we had a number of members who were misusing the option, and got a lot of complaints from members. In particular, we had a few unscrupulous dealers who were pawning off second hand stuff as new.

Vinay gave away over 100 original DVDs and paid for the courier himself. There are members who have 100s of DVDs and audio CDs. Frankly, your numbers are not even worth worrying about. Just give it away to your maid, driver or a friend. You will find very few takers for VCDs. I doubt anybody would be ready to pay more than 10-15 Rupees for a VCD. New ones are less than 30-40.

Cheers

Agree with Venkat here. I don't see much of people going for VCD these days unless it's some really good old classic movie which is difficult to get hold of.
Best Idea would be to maybe sell to your friends,relatives if they are interested.

I wont accept any vcd even if someone gives it free of cost including free shipping. I wonder why indian companies still stick with these pathetic video format.

I wont accept any vcd even if someone gives it free of cost including free shipping. I wonder why indian companies still stick with these pathetic video format.

Why is that so? Why are you so much against these?

Well the only thing that I feel is that when I bought these VCD's they were like Rs 150 each and it pains that when you give something of some worth totally free of cost. I am not saying that I don't want to be generous but I do expect a token of appreciation, maybe in a monetary form.

@venkat, I feel that VCD's even today are not so cheap, they still cost Rs 100 or so per CD and sometimes Rs 50, like in the case of moser baer.

Last edited:
VCD was a great media may be 10 years back. When I first saw a VCD movie some 14 years back, I was awestruck by the PQ and SQ. But not anymore in this era of full hd. The world has moved on to full hd blu-rays from DVDs and 4K is on the horizon. Still we Indians live in the VCD world. I have stopped watching even DVDs after seeing Blu-Rays and BRRips. Even a 700MB BRRip will beat a 4.7GB DVD movie. It is the likes of Moser Baer who are still pulling these crap VCD format. They cannot be blamed alone. The mass are still satisfied with VCDs and Blu-Rays are expensive. Think about watching a VCD movie on 42 incher. Not recommended anymore.

Well the only thing that I feel is that when I bought these VCD's they were like Rs 150 each and it pains that when you give something of some worth totally free of cost. I am not saying that I don't want to be generous but I do expect a token of appreciation, maybe in a monetary form.

@venkat, I feel that VCD's even today are not so cheap, they still cost Rs 100 or so per CD and sometimes Rs 50, like in the case of moser baer.

Frankly Sam, I would suggest you don't waste your time here. We will not allow you to sell media here, and even if you offer the VCDs free including shipping, no one is going to be interested. Try somewhere else. If you think VCDs have any value today, you really have to rethink. As others have said, it is complete junk. When I can get a DVD for Rs.40, why in heavens name would I bother with a VCD? Blu-Ray have started selling for 400 odd, and they will sell for 200 by year end. VCD is a dead technology, not supported any more. It is sheer luck that all DVDPs play VCDs. I think only Moser Baer is manufacturing VCDs any more anywhere in the world. Though I just cannot understand why they are doing that. Makes absolutely no sense.

Cheers

Cheers

I am not at all a rule breaker and if the HFV does not allow me to sell VCDs then I wont. Venkat i wiould like to thank you and all the others. thank you so much for your inputs on this issue.

VCD for Rs 100? Seriously? Kidding right? The last time I saw a VCD was which costed around Rs 35 bucks.

I wouldn't even touch those even if they were never used.

Yesterday, when cleaning my all purpose almirah (for books, electrical items, spare switches, spare cables, DVDs, VCDs etc. etc.) to create space for stacking LPs, I found around 9-10 VCDs and equal no. of DVDs. DVDs have been kept because they can be played to a respectable level of clarity through my Oppo BDP, but VCDs have been cleared through trash bin. The picture quality even with Oppo BDP was pathetic in my plasma.
VCds are now technologically outdated to a segment of customers. And eventually majority of HFV members belong to this segment.

Last edited:
I recently gave away all my vcds (about 40-50 of them) to a friend of mine, he will watch whatever he wants to and then pass it on to someone else. quite a few of them were unopened. An audio cassette has more value than a vcd:).

Frankly Sam, I would suggest you don't waste your time here. We will not allow you to sell media here, and even if you offer the VCDs free including shipping, no one is going to be interested. Try somewhere else. If you think VCDs have any value today, you really have to rethink. As others have said, it is complete junk. When I can get a DVD for Rs.40, why in heavens name would I bother with a VCD? Blu-Ray have started selling for 400 odd, and they will sell for 200 by year end. VCD is a dead technology, not supported any more. It is sheer luck that all DVDPs play VCDs. I think only Moser Baer is manufacturing VCDs any more anywhere in the world. Though I just cannot understand why they are doing that. Makes absolutely no sense.

Cheers

Cheers
400 rs for blu ray ? where ? u mean used right ? lowest blu ray i got was the hurt locker thaat too 454 rs mrp 699 coz diwali sale.

and by end of year for rs 200 ?? i dont think so. indian blu ray market is still poor , amazon does more business than any indian website or store in india , i read in times of india ka economic page.

i visited planet m which had the omen for 1499 and it was like in worst condition and ezone had for 999 that is new mrp .

still at many places stock is old.

u can get for 400 @ amazon or and 200 at usa or uk but india i dont think so.

I think blu-ray needs to gain more popularity as a data storage as DVD's do and we need to see more blu-ray drives usage in computers as well. We would then probably see the prices coming down.

Correct me if I am wrong here.

Cheers!

VCD for Rs 100? Seriously? Kidding right? The last time I saw a VCD was which costed around Rs 35 bucks.

I wouldn't even touch those even if they were never used.

The VCD's which I bought like 4 years ago which belonged to T series, Shemaroo etc were all Rs 150.

The VCD's which I bought like 4 years ago which belonged to T series, Shemaroo etc were all Rs 150.

bhai prices are gone down , 4 years ago blu ray were not in demand in india .

i too own lot of vcds and dvds, specially vcd but they are rare vcds of wwe or some movies. now after blu ray i dont buy vcd but i watch my vcd on my pc.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back