What to look for/notice while auditioning Center channel speaker : In hunt of one

Kumar442244

Hello Folks,

Hope you are doing great.

Have recently finished the mammoth task of subwoofer acquisition and now its time to add another component - Center speaker to the setup.

Considering the "Same-timber-hoopla", eying Dali vocal/vocal Pico.

Since this will be a completely different experience of audition as 1-2 audition will be just to understand what I am looking for.
Starting my search in coming weekend and have an appointment at HTstore for Dali Zensor vocal audition. Just want to understand what are the KPIs that I should be rating center speakers on although I don't have many choices because of same timer limitation (Need to understand if this really matter).

Kindly Advice.

Room dimension: 12*13 Ft
Listening distance: ~6 Ft

Go for a center channel that matches the power of your fronts almost. Don't cheap out on the center channel. Its the most important speaker when watching movies.

Hello Folks,

Hope you are doing great.

Have recently finished the mammoth task of subwoofer acquisition and now its time to add another component - Center speaker to the setup.

Considering the "Same-timber-hoopla", eying Dali vocal/vocal Pico.

Since this will be a completely different experience of audition as 1-2 audition will be just to understand what I am looking for.
Starting my search in coming weekend and have an appointment at HTstore for Dali Zensor vocal audition. Just want to understand what are the KPIs that I should be rating center speakers on although I don't have many choices because of same timer limitation (Need to understand if this really matter).

Kindly Advice.

Room dimension: 12*13 Ft
Listening distance: ~6 Ft

Well this is coming from someone who has experimented with around 4 center speakers. 2 Matching with the fronts and 2 not. In then end, I am happiest with No Center speaker.

The center speaker matching matters the most when you have the perfectly treated room with everything else in its right place and state. if not, having mis matching center and fronts hardly matters. Its not that you are going to critically watch and review movies so need a reference system. Do You?

Next, a center channel matters more when you and your family are not directly in front of the screen. That is if you room is not Rectangular. If it is a rectangle, then your fronts can manage the Center channel quite well giving you a Phantom Center.

But then in the end, one needs to experiment and learn them selves to understand their own preferences. So considering that, Yes I will suggest you get a Center speaker preferably from the same brand of your fronts, but its not a must.

Here is someone to read before you go ahead with a centre channel speaker.https://www.cnet.com/news/attention...twice-before-buying-a-center-channel-speaker/

Good Article. Along with it, one should download and watching this Video as many times as possible as and where as possible. Will clear out 50% of anyones questions and doubts. Home Theater 101 (Z Review)

MaSh

Thanks everyone for the prompt reply and apologies for the late reply on this.

Although I have zeroed upon Dali Pico vocal (without audition), wanted to know that is there any specific element that one should be looking at while auditioning center speakers.

Thanks Tuff for the wonderful article on the center channel. Would certainly experiment with a low-cost center for now.

Thanks MaSH for sharing your experience, would love to see how much a center channel makes a difference in the movie watching experience and hence not willing to spend more than 10K for now.

Will share the experience soon.

On a lighter note, the main intention of this thread (what to notice while auditioning center channel) is lost between "having-a-center" and "Not-having-a-center". Hope to get some suggestion around this so that others including me in search of the center can be benefited. :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.