What to upgrade first? Speakers or Subwoofer

Amansingh

Hi guys. I had bought yamaha yht 1840 6 months back. But ever since i havent been satisfied with the subwoofer that came along. Now that i was thinking of upgrading sub to yamaha sw 100 then someone told me that speakers should be upgraded before sub woofer. So now what should i buy. Subwoofer i.e. yamaha sw100 or speakers i.e. taga harmony 506 v2.

I should hereby mention that i am not dissatisfied with the speakers. Its just that upgrading to taga will improve my system.
Whereas subwoofer is very weak. everyone know that subwoofer that comes with yht 1840 is passive and does not do the job.

So what is recommended.

As you said, yamaha 1840 has passive sub and it's AVR supports passive sub only. So, you need to check if you can add an active sub or not.

Hi guys. I had bought yamaha yht 1840 6 months back. But ever since i havent been satisfied with the subwoofer that came along. Now that i was thinking of upgrading sub to yamaha sw 100 then someone told me that speakers should be upgraded before sub woofer. So now what should i buy. Subwoofer i.e. yamaha sw100 or speakers i.e. taga harmony 506 v2.

I should hereby mention that i am not dissatisfied with the speakers. Its just that upgrading to taga will improve my system.
Whereas subwoofer is very weak. everyone know that subwoofer that comes with yht 1840 is passive and does not do the job.

So what is recommended.

Speaker.... it's always speaker

If you are happy with the speakers then there is no need to waste money on speaker upgrade for now. And coming to subwoofer upgrade the sw 100 isn't going to be satisfying either. If budget permits go for the sw300 or at-least the sw 200.

You are clearly saying that u r not dissatisfied with speakers. And you are also clear that sub is not doing the job. Where is the confusion here bro ??

Go for an active sub.

Having said that, .... Speaker upgrade brings in a great pleasure too. Check 2 channel stereo mode. It will give you an idea of speaker performance. Generally package satellites wont perform much.

Rest is decided by ur budget.

So what is recommended.

Upgrading from full-range HTIB speakers and the passive subwoofers to 5.0 speaker package and an active subwoofer, will bring a improvement..

Of the two components, i would suggest you to consider upgrading the sub-woofer first, since it handles lions share of low-freq.. Post that you can upgrade the speakers to individual components (or) a 5.0 speaker package..

Per Yamaha YHT 1840 google images, it has sub pre-out. So yes, you can add an active subwoofer..

Ok guys i will go for yamaha sw 100. Will it be good considering i am on budget.?

Later I'll buy taga harmony 506v2. And will it be good upgrade?

Ok guys i will go for yamaha sw 100. Will it be good considering i am on budget.?

If you are on a budget, look at pre-owned options too. You can get good stuff at lower cost

If you see it as a package, taga is a value for money.

Average towers+ subs is not much of a value addition. Instead, Bookshelfs + subs makes more sense.

Get 3 pairs of same bookshelfs and add subs. U get a decent HT. (Platinum S90SL is a nice bookshelf for a price. Now the price is increased i guess)

The point is,....towers with average performance is not worth. If you go for towers, get some towers that can give really impressive performance. For example, F120 in taga are simply awesome. They are just beasts !!! Get something like that.

Or else, settle for bookshelfs+subs.

Guys i have got yamaha sw100 preowned. I liked the performance on music, yet to see on movies. A lot better than my passive sub. Thanx all for their advice.
It appears to me that speakers performance has also improved. May be as i have removed passive sub and amp doesnt have to power sub.

Guys i want subwoofer cable. Which one is good. Bluerigger or amazon basics?

Also as i have passive sub spare. Should i attach it to system or leave it disconnected?

Last edited:
Upgrading from full-range HTIB speakers and the passive subwoofers to 5.0 speaker package and an active subwoofer, will bring a improvement..

Of the two components, i would suggest you to consider upgrading the sub-woofer first, since it handles lions share of low-freq.. Post that you can upgrade the speakers to individual components (or) a 5.0 speaker package..

Per Yamaha YHT 1840 google images, it has sub pre-out. So yes, you can add an active subwoofer..
Thnx bro i was w8ing for ur suggestion. Now i may need ur advice on speakers. Although i am not sure of buying speakers now or later.

If you see it as a package, taga is a value for money.

Average towers+ subs is not much of a value addition. Instead, Bookshelfs + subs makes more sense.

Get 3 pairs of same bookshelfs and add subs. U get a decent HT. (Platinum S90SL is a nice bookshelf for a price. Now the price is increased i guess)

The point is,....towers with average performance is not worth. If you go for towers, get some towers that can give really impressive performance. For example, F120 in taga are simply awesome. They are just beasts !!! Get something like that.

Or else, settle for bookshelfs+subs.
They are tiny bookshelves. Are they that powerful than FS taga 506?
But i wont shell out 36000 for 3 pairs. Rather i may buy 1 pair and keep stereo setup or will buy package like taga 506 as they are in budget

Thnx bro i was w8ing for ur suggestion. Now i may need ur advice on speakers. Although i am not sure of buying speakers now or later.

Take it one at a time.. Add the subwoofer first, which should help you for movies..

will buy package like taga 506 as they are in budget

If you don't want to spend much, TAV 506 will be an improvement over Yamaha Full range HTIB speakers..

They are tiny bookshelves. Are they that powerful than FS taga 506?
But i wont shell out 36000 for 3 pairs. Rather i may buy 1 pair and keep stereo setup or will buy package like taga 506 as they are in budget
Looking at size, it's hard to believe. But Surprisingly Yes as long as u use good subs, bookshelf+sub combo works great.

In your case, tav package is practical in a budget. Platinum series bookshelfs + sub combo have better detailing compared to Tav series.
But you won't notice Unless u keep them side by side and compare.

So go for an active sub now. And later upgrade ur satellites with Tav package. All the best.

To answer your question, (in general...)
Budget towers+subs is nearly same as budget bookshelfs +subs.

But If you take a combo like taga platinum F120 towers + sub, ..... It's very hard to get such a dynamic and vibrant movie experience with any bookshelf+sub combo in similar price range.

As your receiver is 5.1, it's not advisable to add another subwoofer. If you do add another subwoofer to it, make sure your subwoofer has all the controls on it, that is Gain Level, Crossover, Phase etc because you will be needing them to control the subwoofer independent of the receiver.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back