What volume (dB) is safe for action movies ???

chaitanyaht3

Hello all,

My setup is Yamaha RXV681 + Taga Tav606 Se. And a 12"sub. Room size is 10x12.

I am just wondering how much volume is safe and enjoyable for action movies?

(Safe in the sense, for the amp and speakers)

I usually go up to -20dB. (This is where I feel comfortable)
And rarely up to -15dB (for a short time)

Is this fine ??? What if we go up to 0dB or more? Will it damage the gear ??? (+10dB is max in my amp)

Hello all,

Is this fine ??? What if we go up to 0dB or more? Will it damage the gear ??? (+10dB is max in my amp)

Hi

If the speakers are already auto calibrated by the AVR. there should be no danger increasing the volume slowly......you need to check at regular intervals and increase the volume accordingly....as long as there is no jarring sound or crackling sound...then it is safe.....

-15 i use very rarely. Mostly i stay under -20. But just to add.....it also depends on the source file quality.

BR rips or FLAC songs sound loud even under -25.

Airtel dth won't sound loud even at -15.

Hello all,

If you use auto caliberation like Audyssey or yamaha's version then you should be fine till 0db, as that will be the reference point atleast with audyssey.
-15db is also fine, don't sweat enjoy your system.

Cheers.

Lot depends upon room size and room acoustics. Same setup may be quite loud at -20 db in one room and feeble in another. Avoid going above 0 db.
sir i have pioneer vsx 531 and taga 506 v2.0 room size 12 x 11 plz suggest me good settings i m new in DB settings
now i m using auto calibrated set up

sir i have pioneer vsx 531 and taga 506 v2.0 room size 12 x 11 plz suggest me good settings i m new in DB settings
now i m using auto calibrated set up
if it is auto calibrated, mostly it should be fine.
Check the distances and levels of each speaker assigned by auto calibration.
Use a good source file. BR disc or BR rip with DTS HDMA or TrueHD
Dont expect anything great if you are using dth kind of tv source

if it is auto calibrated, mostly it should be fine.
Check the distances and levels of each speaker assigned by auto calibration.
Use a good source file. BR disc or BR rip with DTS HDMA or TrueHD
Dont expect anything great if you are using dth kind of tv source
i m not using dth so no idea abt sound quality my all source file is in DTS HD MA and trueHD in some movie i feel less bass
thank u for quick reply

floor standers give a decent bass. But it wont be great for all movies.
Do you have a sub???
Sub is a must for a great home theater experience.

0 dB on AVR represents 75 dB SPL (reference SPL for HT)..

If you are comfortable at -20 dB on AVR, that means your are approx 20 dB below reference SPL of 75 dB, which is represented by -20 dB on AVR..

If you increase the volume, say - 10dB, then you are approx 10 dB below reference SPL of 75 dB..

You can increase it, but there would be fatigue for prolonged use.. You can't take too much loudness over a period of time..

Thank you very much for the info on reference spl elangoas !!!! I don't know that.

For my closed room, -20 is decent for movies. -15 itself is loud and can't watch continuously for more than an hour. I feel stressed. -10 or more is literally too loud to bear. All this is with br rips or FLAC and 320mbps mp3.

when it comes to airtel dth hd channels, some movies don't sound that loud even at -15.

any way the whole point is, i just want to make sure -10 or more is not going to damage the amp or speakers. I won't go as loud as distortion start to cream in any way....

For my closed room, -20 is decent for movies. -15 itself is loud and can't watch continuously for more than an hour. I feel stressed. -10 or more is literally too loud to bear. All this is with br rips or FLAC and 320mbps mp3.

when it comes to airtel dth hd channels, some movies don't sound that loud even at -15.

This could be because of one of the reasons.. A quality BR Rips will have lossless / lossy audio Dolby audio tracks.. HD STB broadcaster usually use lossy Dolby tracks... Try using the Dolby loudness feature / late night mode in your AVR if aval and see if it improves HD STB listening..

Thanks for the tips elangoas.... Il try.
Very few channels come with DD+ they are relatively good in terms of quality and volume. Remaining channels are DD. They are a bit dull in terms of SQ.

To this point : DTH transmission is seriously crap when it comes to audio quality. And I am only talking about the HD channels.

I now actually never use the AVR to watch any DTH content.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back