What will I lose/gain? - Replacing Floor standers with Bookshelves

sl4y3r

Hi All,

I have moved to a new rented flat and I am in a facing a dilemma. I have Polk Floor standers TSX 440T. These sound great when sent to Large, the bass is amazing! Now, for the dilemma.

Considering my AVR and the fact that I will be running 5.1.4, setting the Polks to large with all channels driven, and considering i have an SVS SB1000, it may not make sense to set the fronts to "large" to reduce AVR load and let the SVS manage the LF.

The room is 18x10 (L,W).

Another bit of confusion is the house has a wall/AV unit that i would like to use, but they are made to span the full width of the room leaving no space for the floor standers.

So, here's where i need your advice.

1) What will i lose if I sell the Polks and buy Q Acoustics 3020i or the Mission QX2 MKII. I also fear the Polks have a 91db sensitivity and both bookshelves are rated at 88db. Will this tax the AVR much more? Are these 2 BS going to give me a better experience?
2) If I do buy bookshelves, the unit that i mentioned above is just about 2.5feet high, will bookshelves kept on these not perform well? I don't wish to buy speaker stands for 2 reasons, first, to save money, second, I would have to put these stands on the unit which will look and prob sound weird.

As such, I can use another TV unit i have and retain the Polks if that is a wiser thing to do.

Full equipment details are in my signature. My requirement is 50:50. I do like bass-heavy music.

Thanks in advance.

My understanding :
- In an AVR, you should never set Front L/R to Large (at least for Denon AVRs). Setting them to small ensures correct usage of the sub.
- In a HT setup, you will not lose anything, by moving from FS to BS

Both the QA 3020i and the Mission QX2 are arguably much better speakers than the Polk TSX 440.

I am using QA 3050i for both music with separates and movies with a Denon AVR which is paired to a QB12 sub.
Recently I setup my friends house with a HT with QA 3020i speakers, I tried them with my AVR and yes with the sub integrated well, you can getaway with need to have larger speakers. Do they sound as good as floorstanders? No.
Infact I was surprised how well they sound for the size and gel with a sub so easily.

I am not much of a sub guy for music, I do my 90% of listening music on separates without subwoofer.
My friend likes subwoofers bass and response, he will use the AVR and Sub 100% of the time.

Setting speakers to Large in a AVR will make only music to sound good if not better, but a well calibrated and integrated AVR with sub and speakers set to small will sound a lot better.
Like @argho said you won't loose much for movies, but if you use sub for music you won't miss anything at all.

both QA 3020i and Misson QX2 are great speakers, infact I would rate Mission QX2 higher than QA 3020i.

I am using QA 3050i for both music with separates and movies with a Denon AVR which is paired to a QB12 sub.
Recently I setup my friends house with a HT with QA 3020i speakers, I tried them with my AVR and yes with the sub integrated well, you can getaway with need to have larger speakers. Do they sound as good as floorstanders? No.
Infact I was surprised how well they sound for the size and gel with a sub so easily.

I am not much of a sub guy for music, I do my 90% of listening music on separates without subwoofer.
My friend likes subwoofers bass and response, he will use the AVR and Sub 100% of the time.

Setting speakers to Large in a AVR will make only music to sound good if not better, but a well calibrated and integrated AVR with sub and speakers set to small will sound a lot better.
Like @argho said you won't loose much for movies, but if you use sub for music you won't miss anything at all.

both QA 3020i and Misson QX2 are great speakers, infact I would rate Mission QX2 higher than QA 3020i.
Thanks for sharing your views, I am also trying to learn something similar. Can you guide me to link where I can read more about the small vs big setting. I am a 70/20/10 movies/ps4/music guy

Thanks for sharing your views, I am also trying to learn something similar. Can you guide me to link where I can read more about the small vs big setting. I am a 70/20/10 movies/ps4/music guy

Here you go, simple YouTube search can give you lot more results but this is simple to understand and bang on topic.

I am using Mission qx2 with norge 1000 stereo amplifier. U get good bass (well rounded) from Qx2. Musicality of Qx2 is splendid. But you have to connect them to a good powered stereo amplifier so that u can unleash the gem hidden inside those speakers. Polks are also good speakers but they are very open sounded. polks, def techs are very good for movies coz the dialogues coming out of their center channels can easily be heard and understood.

My understanding :
- In an AVR, you should never set Front L/R to Large (at least for Denon AVRs). Setting them to small ensures correct usage of the sub.
- In a HT setup, you will not lose anything, by moving from FS to BS

Both the QA 3020i and the Mission QX2 are arguably much better speakers than the Polk TSX 440.
Setting fronts to 'Large' auto enables another setting on most AVRs (my experience with Yamaha, Marantz called "double bass" sending LF to the Sub and Fronts, if off, you are correct the sub is un/underutilized.

Yes, my assumption was also similar to yours, the BS being higher tier speakers compared to the Polks. How much more strain will the AVR go through since the sensitivity is 3db more on the aforementioned BS?

May i ask what was lacking (apart from bass) in the 3050 and 3020?
I am using Mission qx2 with norge 1000 stereo amplifier. U get good bass (well rounded) from Qx2. Musicality of Qx2 is splendid. But you have to connect them to a good powered stereo amplifier so that u can unleash the gem hidden inside those speakers. Polks are also good speakers but they are very open sounded. polks, def techs are very good for movies coz the dialogues coming out of their center channels can easily be heard and understood.
This is something I fear too. But then again, a power amp generally brings our the best in any speaker compared to when driven from an AVR.
@sl4y3r @msankadi
Explore Monitor Audio Radius range.
Cheers,
Raghu
Thanks for the recommendation, sadly it's way above my budget.

May i ask what was lacking (apart from bass) in the 3050 and 3020?

Dynamics and scale, after listening to them you can make it out leaving aside the bass.
But I would also consider 3030i over 3020i for front speakers, 3020i are available for around 25k and one can stretch a bit for 3030i.

Here is a short video I did but never posted anyplace on 3020i, you can check out other videos on my channel which show how 3050i sounds.

Dynamics and scale, after listening to them you can make it out leaving aside the bass.
But I would also consider 3030i over 3020i for front speakers, 3020i are available for around 25k and one can stretch a bit for 3030i.

Here is a short video I did but never posted anyplace on 3020i, you can check out other videos on my channel which show how 3050i sounds.

Thanks for your reply. In your earlier post you said the Qx2 >3020i's I assume you have heard both? I suppose the QX2 have a considerably better low end due to the larger driver..?

Thanks for your reply. In your earlier post you said the Qx2 >3020i's I assume you have heard both? I suppose the QX2 have a considerably better low end due to the larger driver..?

I have heard LX2 which are in range of 3020i. Both 3020i and LX2 sound good, but I haven't heard the LX2 in my chain. I am trying to get them to test though, as my friend has those pairs.

QX2 having bigger driver will always sound better. QX2 can be compared with 3030i maybe.

I just saw your location, you too are from Mumbai.
You can try coming over and listen to 3020i and if I get LX2s too from my friend.

I have heard LX2 which are in range of 3020i. Both 3020i and LX2 sound good, but I haven't heard the LX2 in my chain. I am trying to get them to test though, as my friend has those pairs.

QX2 having bigger driver will always sound better. QX2 can be compared with 3030i maybe.

I just saw your location, you too are from Mumbai.
You can try coming over and listen to 3020i and if I get LX2s too from my friend.
Thanks, thats very kind of you. If you are close by I might take you up on that offer. I'm in Malad. Right now the QX2 are 32k and the 3030i are 43k. If they are almost similar I'd prefer saving the 11k.

Oh wow..33k i can manage, 43 is a stretch.. where did you buy it from?

Not had the oppurtunity to listen to 3030i, but the Concept 20s IMO were much more refined than the 3020i. So if possible do try the Concept 20 too.

Not had the oppurtunity to listen to 3030i, but the Concept 20s IMO were much more refined than the 3020i. So if possible do try the Concept 20 too.
Oh thanks for the reco, will check it out.
The 3030i’s price has recently gone up, just this month in fact. It’s usually available for 32-33k on Hifimart. Do audition the similar priced Elac Debut 6.2 too if possible.
Oh damn! Bad luck :(

Anyone in Mumbai selling selling their BS? Any stores in Mumbai that are likely to have old stock can give me the same price?

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back