What wireless usb adapter to buy for WD TV?

I have bought the asus usb n10 referring to the link Kalyan has posted above. It works !

For install the trick is to have the drivers install from the cd on your desktop and then plugging the usb into the wd player.

Set up is easy after that, but the speed is not great. Audio streaming works flawlessly , tried with radio365 etc. But video streaming is slow. Need to test if the speed problem is only with wd tv or with my desktop too.

So overall get it if you want internet radio etc. from your WD TV.

If you are a tech enclave member you get some discount too.

thanks
Sachin

What wireless adapter should i buy for wdtv? my bsnl modem has wi fi and so i intend to use the adapter with wd tv to use the bsnl connection.

i found some really cheap ones on ebay at around 700 bucks:

eBay India: BELKIN WIRELESS G NETWORK USB ADAPTER LIFETIME WARANTY (item 300490834061 end time 08-Dec-2010 18:17:42 IST)

this is from belkin. will this work with wd tv? any idea?

Video streaming is always iffy with wireless networks. Too many things can go wrong and frustrate you -plain audio is always easy but when you add in video and that too BDrips then you better get really good routers and adapters.

I would suggest just running a discreet Cat-5e or Cat6 to the device and you will not run into streaming issues.

If you have multiple entertainment devices that can be networked and ff you cannot stand wires or are limited to using wireless between the two physical areas. I would suggest a wireless bridge and have the units be connected to the bridge by cable.

A lot of old/used routers can be re-configured with dd-wrt to work as a bridge for your new setup.

Good info vardu.

Ateast wiring for me is not an option. One more option i was considering is to have an access point and then give wired connecttion out of that to the wd tv. Anyone tried this ?
My reason being , if i can get decent speed on my netbook in the same room shouldnt it be same with WD Tv. Or is it just that the network card on the WD TV is crappy ?

thanks
Sachin

Will the wifi dongle being bundled with the POHD in India work with the WDTV? I ask as yesterday I got one POHD and it came with the dongle. I am never going to use wifi with the player as I am more comfortable with the wired network and so am planning to put it up for sale. It is unopened and I have no plans to open it also. If one is interested, I may be contacted over pm.

Good info vardu.

Ateast wiring for me is not an option. One more option i was considering is to have an access point and then give wired connecttion out of that to the wd tv. Anyone tried this ?
My reason being , if i can get decent speed on my netbook in the same room shouldnt it be same with WD Tv. Or is it just that the network card on the WD TV is crappy ?

thanks
Sachin

Sad to say, wireless networking is a really black art: There are just so many "it depends" factors involved: Even the weather can make a difference on any particular day.

Whoever understands why wifi breaks down two inches from where it was working.:lol:

I agree that if you are getting decent speed in a room and if your WDTV is in a good location then it should be ok.

Having said that, don't be surprise if your WDTV USB adaptor is slower than the rest: USB has to go through more "layers" of protocol overhead than the others you quote, (USB being a "general purpose" protocol - e.g. joysticks, printers, memory sticks, et al) where as PCI and "built in" NIC's (which is most likely PCI anyway) are a bit friendlier to networking, being somewhat higher bandwidth.

Good laptops will always perform better with an identical chipset, over say a USB stick or PCI card with a small stick on the back - most decent laptops have an antenna behind the screen 10" wide ! ....A bit different to 2 x 1" long ones crammed inside a USB stick !

Test your laptop with the USB stick and chances are that will be closer to the speed that you might get on the WD.

:cool:

Will the wifi dongle being bundled with the POHD in India work with the WDTV? I ask as yesterday I got one POHD and it came with the dongle. I am never going to use wifi with the player as I am more comfortable with the wired network and so am planning to put it up for sale. It is unopened and I have no plans to open it also. If one is interested, I may be contacted over pm.

Don't know - you will have to check in the list and even if it's not there , it might work and then you can add that to the list.

Cheers

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back