What would you choose Size or Quality ?

bitanshudas

Hey,

I was just wondering while upgrading your TV would you consider Size or Quality? I am currently using iffalcon 55" TV and looking to upgrade during the festive seasons. What would you choose when upgrading your TV? Would you go for better picture quality (high end models like OLEDs, QLEDs and Sony X9000F/X950G) in the same screen size or would you go for a bigger screen size with a slightly inferior model but of similar price range (like the LEDs of LG and Samsung) if the viewing distance doesnt matter ?

I was just wondering while upgrading your TV would you consider Size or Quality?

I upgraded from a 46 inch FHD-LCD TV to approx 100 inch FHD projector screen in my living room, and felt more happier and liked the bigger screen and the more immersive feel.. be it for movies or widescreen videos or watching any sport.. Large screen is fabulous..

I would love to upgrade to a FHD, Native Ultrawide screen capable projector (21:9) in my next upgrade..

Last edited:
My first major upgrade was from a Samsung 21 in CRT TV to a 50 inch Panasonic plasma which was the reference model released then (2012). The improvement in PQ was substantial, as you can imagine and I never changed them. During the decision phase, all the technical factors were of keen interest to me, but after a few months of using it, the content/movie took the center stage, all these parameters on paper just vanished and only the size of screen and quality of content mattered. So would I have been happier with a similar size TV from a segment or 2 below the one I got? In hindsight, yes, I would be :)
YMMV.

OLED>size for me. I can't stand greyish blacks. Also, watch a movie at Onyx screens if there are any in your city.

I will go with picture quality and features than screen size. While purchasing LED TV , I was in same confusion . Panasonic, Sony, Samsung, LG lower version models ( 65 inch) were in bigger in size but lacks the picture quality and features but higher version models (55 inch) were great for both but with lower screen size and cost almost same. Now considering 4K/UHD/HDR or Dolby vision content in movie streaming services picture quality and feature matters the most else you can't enjoy the latest technology .

1. Size
The day I got 42" plasma, felt 50" would be better, but no funds at the time
The day I got 55" OLED, felt 65" would be better, but living room is not big enough
2. Quality/Technology
Newer technology sometimes comes with better quality
OLED vs LED/Plasma (LED over Plasma was a tech upgrade in terms of power, size, not necessarily PQ)
MicroLED or whatever Samsung is chasing is still far away from being affordable
3. Features/Ease-of-use
Needs to be able to handle varied content.
These days there are so many video and audio formats to be aware of.
Everyone of them gives some improvement (or maybe not)
Connectivity options matter

There are quite a few TVs today in the market that can satisfy all the above to varying degress.
Basically, comes down to what you are willing to spend.

Cheers,
Raghu

Damn I am still on a 32" Sony LCD and very happy with it. No plans to upgrade.

Quality goes a long way, for me quality first. What would I do with a large size TV if thr picture doesn't look good.

Touch Wood!!

MaSh

150" is something you need to watch....using a laser projector. And especially with 4K good source with tone mapping.

@elangoas I also waiting to upgrade to 2.35:1 .Waiting for native 4k laser projector to come down in price...which I expect post 2020

@elangoas I also waiting to upgrade to 2.35:1 .Waiting for native 4k laser projector to come down in price...which I expect post 2020

Ok great..Native Ultrawide capability would be really good for movies & videos.. With Android mobiles progressing near Ultrawide aspect ratio, more videos will support 21:9 in future.. I restricted to FHD, just for cost and aval of content.. 4K will be a bomb for sure in India..

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back