What's the maximum number of movies you have seen in one year?

mav

Evening Folks !

As is the case with most of us here I have always been a movie/music buff. Fortunately the profession I am in allows me to pace my life and therefore am able to indulge myself (most of the time the indulgences get rather excessive- but then that's another story)! ;)

Ever since I setup my Home Theater I have been watching movies nonstop. In fact so extreme has been my 'devotion' that I have had my cable TV connection terminated. December 15th onwards I have been watching the best of movies ..here is a complete list:

capturejjr.jpg

capture3ku.jpg

capture2ww.jpg

capture4ic.jpg

capture5hs.jpg

capture6wy.jpg

capture8a.jpg

capture7z.jpg

capture9v.jpg

capture10b.jpg

capture12vi.jpg

capture11wa.jpg

capture14.jpg

capture13bs.jpg

3 10 To Yuma
A Separation,
A l'interieur
A Serious Man
A Bittersweet.Life
Adaptation
Akmareul Boatda.
An American Crime
Apocalypto
Being John Malkovich
Baraka
Biutiful
Big Nothing
Blade Runner Final Cut
Blood Simple
Broken Embraces
Case 39
Cecil.B.Demented
Cell 211
Cinderella Man,
Confessions (2010)
Chloe
Cloverfield
Coming To America
Cowboys and Aliens
Criminal (2004)
Dark City 1998 Directors.Cut
Date Night
Defending Your Life
Defendor
Definitely, Maybe
Devil (2010)
Drive (2011)
El Norte
Eto Spinal Tap
Ever After A Cinderella Story
Extract
Finding Neverland
Fast Five
Fish Tank
Flipped
Formula 51 [The 51st State]
Garden State
Gattaca
Gegen die Wand
Get Him to the Greek
Ghost Town
Going the Distance
Gone Baby Gone
Gospodin Nikto
Grave Encounters
Green Lantern
Grosse Pointe Blank
Hallam Foe
Happiness
Hero 2002
In a Better World
Incendies
Intermission
Invictus
Ju On
K-PAX
Killer Elite
Kingdom Of Heaven
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Kramer vs. Kramer
Kung Fu Panda.2
Lars and the Real Girl
L'Appartement
Le Fabuleux estin d Amelie Poulain
Leaves of Grass
Life As We Know It
Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
London
Los amantes del circulo polar
Los Cronocrimenes
Made
Man Bites Dog
Man on Fire
Match Point
Matchstick Men
Memories of Murder
Middle Men
Moneyball
Monsters
Mr. Brooks
Nauka sna
Never Let Me Go
Next
Open Your Eyes
OSS 117 Cairo Nest Of Spies
Pans Labyrinth
Patton
Pi
Planet Earth
Road to Perdition
Rango Extended Cut
[REC] 2
Red Dragon
Religulous
Revanche
Revolver
Running Scared
Se jie
Serenity
Shallow Grave
Shooter
Shutter Island
Sin Nombre
Solaris
Source Code
Spun
Stake Land
Star Trek
Star Wars Episode IV A New Hope
Stargate Ext Cut
Swimming with Sharks
Swingers
Talk To Her
The Adjustment Bureau
The Artist
The Big White
The Castle
The Dish
The Girl Next Door
The Help
The Invention Of Lying
The Man From Nowhere
The Man Who Wasn't There
The Matador
The Road
The Secret in Their Eyes
The Skeleton Key
The Town
The Tunnel
The A-Team Extended.Cut
The Book of Eli
The Butterfly Effect
The Chaser
The Constant Gardener
The Descendants
The Descent.
The Fall
The Family Man
The Ice Harvest
The Ides of March
The Illusionist
The Kid with a Bike
The Lives of Others
The Machinist
The Man From Earth
The Perfect Host
The Quiet Earth
The Reader
The Way Back
The Way Of The Gun
Trick r Treat
Bakjwi
True Grit
United 93
Un Prophete
Vacancy
Warrior.
Wicker Park
Wristcutters - A Love Story
X-Men First Class
Zodiac

I guess that's close to 170 movies in a span of Three and a half months. Wondering whats the closet anyone has come to reaching these numbers here :) Hope I am not the only insane one !!

Cheers !

Last edited:
wow pal.... ... .. 160 in 100 days.......almost 2 movies per day :) .. good avg.. guess you would be man of series for movies... for this year ...IML(Indian Movie League....) ;)

wow pal.... ... .. 160 in 100 days.......almost 2 movies per day :) .. good avg.. guess you would be man of series for movies... for this year ...IML(Indian Movie League....) ;)

lol yes !!! Thats quite an achievement I would say. In fact when I was counting the movies today even I was surprised and to tell you the truth a bit proud of this feat :lol:

5 movies on my HT since Jan 2010 ................ :indifferent14::sad:
Have realised I am NOT a 'movies' guy!

I was watching 30-36 movies a month till December 2012. I'd watch a movie every weekday, and 2-3 on Sundays. Yep, I rarely used to go out or do anything else (except listen to music, and do a bit of reading).

From 01-01-2012, I decided I'd go out at least once a week and meet people, that I'd spend more time reading, and also that I'd get back to exercising regularly.

I've been doing just that, and now my movie watching (at home) is down to 20-22 a month. I do watch movies in theaters most weekends, but I'm not counting that, as I rarely enjoy watching movies in theaters nowadays.

Too many movies, too little time.

well I am a complete movie buff as well and there was a time even I was actually watching 2 movies a day, but that didnt last for week or two ...... but if I compeat an all time avg I think I might be tough to beat ...... for the past 15 years (I started watching english movies when I was like 18-20), I have complete around 1100 movies in total since then, so its like 1100/15~73 movies a year and 73/12~6 a month. I know it looks not much in short, but its not easy to maintain that avg for 15 years ..... :)

My current avg is same as well ...... 5, 6 a month. But then I also am in to Hi end Computer Games, which I play a lot and not to forget Music ... and all sorts of DIYs I do .......:).

Last edited:
Evening Folks !
...Hope I am not the only insane one !!

Cheers !

I just hope this is not any kind of addictions.
and I guess you are the only one other that the projector cabin crew in all the theaters.

btw... what has been your regular electricity bills?

I watch four or five movies each weekday. I cheat though, my projector can run double speed and keep the audio sounding normal. I watch some at 3 or 4 times speed and the actors sound like chipmonks but I can still understand the dialog. When doing strictly image QC, I'll watch at 10 times speed. A two hour film only takes 12 minutes.

I watch four or five movies each weekday. I cheat though, my projector can run double speed and keep the audio sounding normal. I watch some at 3 or 4 times speed and the actors sound like chipmonks but I can still understand the dialog. When doing strictly image QC, I'll watch at 10 times speed. A two hour film only takes 12 minutes.

Yes Moviela, I too cheat, but the only difference is I cheat by going to IMDB check the rating/Metascore. if the ratings is >=6 and Metascore > 50 then read the synopsis. ( a two hour film only takes 2 minutes )
If rating >7/8 and Metascore >60 + Genre: Sci-Fi/Action purchase the DVD/BD and take all the time in the world at leisure. - so in essence I hardly cover 10-12 movies a year.

I can think of having watched two movies, on TV, in the past three or so year. Can't remember the last time I set foot in a cinema (though I can remember the first)

I love fiction, but I prefer it in books --- and the internet provides the rest.

5 movies on my HT since Jan 2010 ................ :indifferent14::sad:
Have realised I am NOT a 'movies' guy!

Thats a 'criminal' waste of a perfectly good set up mate !! Hope the God of HiFi(if there is one) forgives you on judgement day !! ;)

5-7 movies per month & rest time music.

So we can safely assume you are a 'music guy' :)

I was watching 30-36 movies a month till December 2012. I'd watch a movie every weekday, and 2-3 on Sundays. Yep, I rarely used to go out or do anything else (except listen to music, and do a bit of reading).

From 01-01-2012, I decided I'd go out at least once a week and meet people, that I'd spend more time reading, and also that I'd get back to exercising regularly.

I've been doing just that, and now my movie watching (at home) is down to 20-22 a month. I do watch movies in theaters most weekends, but I'm not counting that, as I rarely enjoy watching movies in theaters nowadays.

Too many movies, too little time.

I totally relate to everything you said. I have never really enjoyed socializing but ever since I started this movie marathon I have become even more of a recluse. Half of the times my girl friend joins in but honestly speaking I prefer watching movies alone- specially the movies which involve concentration/are slow paced.

I used to love reading and that's one hobby which has suffered the most as also traveling. However for everything lost there is also something gained. World Cinema has opened my horizons and some of the movies that I watched have helped me think non- linearly which is a big help in my profession. maybe one day in the future I would end up directing a Feature- who knows :)

500. (yeah, i was without a job, on my bed, no other choice)

Not bad mate !! My respect !

well I am a complete movie buff as well and there was a time even I was actually watching 2 movies a day, but that didnt last for week or two ...... but if I compeat an all time avg I think I might be tough to beat ...... for the past 15 years (I started watching english movies when I was like 18-20), I have complete around 1100 movies in total since then, so its like 1100/15~73 movies a year and 73/12~6 a month. I know it looks not much in short, but its not easy to maintain that avg for 15 years ..... :)

My current avg is same as well ...... 5, 6 a month. But then I also am in to Hi end Computer Games, which I play a lot and not to forget Music ... and all sorts of DIYs I do .......:).

MY respect once again. I realize that its tough to maintain the tempo of one particular hobby over the span of years and thats why the number you have achieved is pretty respectable. Back in my Engineering College days in Karnataka I used to watch upto 4 movies a day and had practically run out of VCDs in the local Video Parlour. In those 4 years I must have watched at least 500 movies on a conservative estimate.though most of those movies were mostly trash..you know the usual action,romance etc.

I dont remember the last time I played a PC game and thats something I need to remedy soon. Thats another addiction in the making ! :)

I just hope this is not any kind of addictions.
and I guess you are the only one other that the projector cabin crew in all the theaters.

btw... what has been your regular electricity bills?

I wouldn't call it an addiction because one thing I have realized about myself is that my life is all about phases. I guess at present I am in a 'movie watching' phase. Its not practically possible to maintain the same kind of speed over the span of years. Btw I dont remember the last time I went to a theater to watch a movie.. all my movies are at home :)

Surprisingly my electricity bill has come down from the time I used to watch regular TV. On an average it doesn't cross Rs 1,000 a month.

But that wouldn't exactly be fun. I mean isnt that akin to watching a movie just for the sake of it? Would love to hear your reason for this unique approach :)

Yes Moviela, I too cheat, but the only difference is I cheat by going to IMDB check the rating/Metascore. if the ratings is >=6 and Metascore > 50 then read the synopsis. ( a two hour film only takes 2 minutes )
If rating >7/8 and Metascore >60 + Genre: Sci-Fi/Action purchase the DVD/BD and take all the time in the world at leisure. - so in essence I hardly cover 10-12 movies a year.

Thats what I do too. IMDB is a big big help in deciding movies. My aim was to finish all movies with a rating of 8 and above but sometimes even the 6 pointers turn out to be as good if not better than the higher rated ones !

I can think of having watched two movies, on TV, in the past three or so year. Can't remember the last time I set foot in a cinema (though I can remember the first)

I love fiction, but I prefer it in books --- and the internet provides the rest.

So we can safely assume you are definitely not a 'Movie person'. I remember the time when I had just shifted to Bombay a decade back and didnt have TV. The local library was my savior and I used to go through two books a day. I guess I do go overboard with the 'Hobby of the Season' :)

Yep. Forums and some techie and news sites take my time. Not Facebook/Twitter/etc: if that ever happened then I'd get welded to the computer. The book comes out before sleep, can be five minutes or over an hour, depending. The book might last a couple of days of a couple of months, depending on thickness and weight.

Mind you, the two movies I watched 'recently' I really enjoyed. One was Notting Hill Gate, and the other was a Chinese-Emperor/martial-arts blockbuster that I found Mrs G watching, and joined in.

If you ask me that sounds Weird!! ,,, No pun intended ..

I \'had\' to watch 3 movies in the last month because my wife wanted to.

(He He He.... but she had to listen to hours and hours of music because I wanted to)

So we can safely assume you are a 'music guy' :)

Its not so,you can say 50:50.It depends when I can get my LCD to play.The reason is my parents watch TV & I have to wait in weekdays.So I get time to watch full movies on my Holiday.What I do is I then play 5.1 mkv movies songs which I finish watching in 45min OR cut scenes which I like most(full of effects).
Other time I listen music with HP.

1566 movies from 1992 onwards, which is an average of ~1.5 movies per week, ~ 6 movies a month (excludes Indian movies, but includes dubbed Chinese martial arts movies). But, I've slowed down a lot in recent months.

In terms of number of movies alone....

244 in 2001
122 in 2002
140 in 2009
152 in 2011

... that's only the number of movies. But, back in the 90's and early 2000's, I used to watch a movie twice or thrice and movies can be long or short. If I count the time...

10:18 per week in 2001
05:18 per week in 2011
05:12 per week in 2009
00:54 per week in 2012
00:32 per week in 1998

But, in terms of quality of movies, 2008 with only 77 movies was the best (the year I discovered Kurosawa, Bergman).

Strange coincidence, mav. I too feel the same way about phases in life. It might seem excessive when you are doing it, but looking back, if you had not done that, you'd have missed so much. It felt so when I was watching roughly 3 movies per week in 2011 (4 per week till August). But, with the current state of power in Coimbatore, I'd be lucky if I could watch a movie a month, so no need to regret it. I now stick to TV series which are much easier to accommodate within the window power is available during the night time and holidays.

The more I watch, the more my watch list seems to grow. Strange, but true.

I never kept a count but when counted files on my hard disk number comes out to be 184 movies.
For my wife there is one 32" LCD so there is least interference from her side.

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back