What's the point having a rear wall mount option for a speaker having rear port ??

Naveenbnc

Hi all,

Recently I purchased Platinum ONE Bookshelf from Taga. I tried to mount them on either corners of my room. But the sound quality dropped a lot, and clarity is lost, and the bass is muddled.

I found the sound is much better when I move the speaker away from the front and side walls by at least 1 feet.

It looks like the rear ported speakers need some open space behind them. Then I wonder how they provided rear mounting option at all ??? Only for marketting ??? Or....is there a way to make it sound better even after mounting on the wall ???

Hi

Most bookshelf speakers require 6 to 12 inches from the wall for ideal performance and thats why most good top end speakers have no wall mount options,,,,

You can look at TV (CRT) swivel shelf metal stands...I mounted Dalis at my moms place this way....

At my place, i have wall mounted Cambridge Audio sirocco s30...these are plain bookshelf speakers...cannot be wall mounted...i put a Key Hole bracket and some rubber coasters....it works,.,,,some frequency tweaking is required.....works like a charm

Hi all,

Recently I purchased Platinum ONE Bookshelf from Taga. I tried to mount them on either corners of my room. But the sound quality dropped a lot, and clarity is lost, and the bass is muddled.

I found the sound is much better when I move the speaker away from the front and side walls by at least 1 feet.

As they say, anything to make a Sale. Any speakers bass port will need a minimum distance to do its job. What crossover are you running on it? Being a rear surround you could tweak the crossover to say 100hz and see if it improves your intended requirement. Else as Eddie has suggested, you could use swivel wall mounts.

MaSh

Thank you very much efernand & mash !!

Actually i made a diy plywood platform to place the speakers in the corner. Its very sturdy, but I made the size, so that the speaker can move only about 3 inches away from both walls. I taught it would be sufficient.

But later i felt the speakers sound better when placed 1feet away. Il make a bigger platform, or il make a diy hanging bracket to mount on side wall. (Swivel stand is a problem with my little kid)

And that's a good idea to play with crossover too !!!

Thank you
Naveen

Did you try only corner placement? Or also near the back wall and away from the side wall? Corner placement is far worse than the merely close to the back wall. Wall mounting is definitely a compromise to be used only when stands are not possible. That said, my Dali Zensor 1 sounds quite good on the wall in the bedroom. Merely for casual listening, though.

It looks like the rear ported speakers need some open space behind them. Then I wonder how they provided rear mounting option at all ??? Only for marketting ??? Or....is there a way to make it sound better even after mounting on the wall ???

"Bass" is the reason.. Am no expert, but sharing from my recent learning.. Speaker port is for the speaker to breathe..

There are some ideal location for reproduction of bass in a room, which is why it is best to separate bass from speaker and feed it subwoofer, which you can move around to place it in near ideal location (if possible) for best reproduction..

Did you run the speaker full range (pure direct on AVR - 2.0)?.. If you were using crossover in AVR, then it shouldn't affect much..

Hi Naturelover....

I placed it in the corner, tilted to face the sitting position. To form a triangle with speakers and sitting position.

Ideally it should be away from rear wall and side walls also.

But as a compromise...which is relatively better???

1. Closer to rear wall & away from side wall
2. Closer to side wall & away from rear wall

"Bass" is the reason.. Am no expert, but sharing from my recent learning.. Speaker port is for the speaker to breathe..

There are some ideal location for reproduction of bass in a room, which is why it is best to separate bass from speaker and feed it subwoofer, which you can move around to place it in near ideal location (if possible) for best reproduction..

Did you run the speaker full range (pure direct on AVR - 2.0)?.. If you were using crossover in AVR, then it shouldn't affect much..
Hey elangoas...Right now I tried with 80hz crossover. Il try with different crossover too. The quality degradation is not huge, but surely it is there. Bass is little muddled, and treble is little flat. I'm sure I can fix it with placement adjustment...

Ahh if it's a diy platform, then you could try attaching an extension bracket of sorts and suspend the speaker from it into free air. You could use two or three hook up points using fishing ropes used in a fishing chord to have good isolation and also flexibility in directing speakers. Easily available on Amazon or close by decathlon outlet.

MaSh

That's an interesting idea mash :D:D Platinum One is quite small to play around with such ideas...kids are a problem though...

Last edited:
That's an interesting idea mash :D:D Platinum One is quite small to play around with such ideas...kids are a problem though...
Trust me it works, tried it with Sony cubes. Kids issue? What height have you got the speakers at? The suspension needn't be too low, just a bit away or below the platform you have.

MaSh

And my daughter is one month over 2 years, and she is tall for her age, and highly mischious. I have to raise it quite high to keep her away :D:D thats a different issue...

Right now I placed the tweeter at ear level. I can move the platform up or down if needed. But hanging by cables and isolating the speaker makes it noticibly better?

And my daughter is one month over 2 years, and she is tall for her age, and highly mischious. I have to raise it quite high to keep her away :D:D thats a different issue...

Right now I placed the tweeter at ear level. I can move the platform up or down if needed. But hanging by cables and isolating the speaker makes it noticibly better?

Ahh he he I know that age, mine is 6 but managed to safeguard the towers during the troublesome twos. Yes isolating in free air did improve the sound of the cubes. First thing you notice was the lack of boominess compared to when they were placed on a wooden shelf.

MaSh

I saw this one, and also a couple of other models. But haven't really decided on any one. Thanks for the feedback sriram !!

Hi all....

Any suggestion on the below point please....

Ideally speaker should be away from rear wall and side walls also.

But as a compromise...which is relatively better???

1. Closer to rear wall & away from side wall
2. Closer to side wall & away from rear wall

Suggest you share a pic of the room with stands....we can then see the area better and provide our views on best placement n some tricks

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back