Where to buy, what to buy?

Akash2012

Guys, first of all great forum.

I want to buy a TV for my new home in India. Having been away for a while from India, I am totally clueless about how the market works there. Here is my dilemma and some questions:

1. I found croma and flipkart online sites which sell TVs. Should I buy from them or a local store in India? In your experience, are prices generally better in local stores (I live in a small city) or online?

2. I am considering a 32'' TV, but could buy a 40'' one as well. The size of the room is small enough for a 32'' one. Which types work more reliably in India: LEDs, LCDs, Plasmas?

3. I am not necessarily looking for the best TV, but the one that provides good bang for the buck. Which brands or models are good on that metric at 32'' size? As for connectivity, I can live with 1366x768 resolution, but I would like to have a PC input (VGA) to connect a small form factor pc for media center duties.

I would appreciate your input, suggestions, and recommendations.

Thanks for the recommendation. Any particular reasons why you like that TV if you own it?

Who will be the main audience for the TV? If parents, then think of an LCD or LED TV.

What will be the majority source? If it is TV channels then LCD or LED, although plasma could be considered. If you will be watching movies mainly then consider plasma.

If thinking of 32" size, and viewing distance is more than 6 feet then HD-ready (720p) model is good enough. Think of full HD for large sizes. Full HD benefits are realized with blu-ray only.

If room is brightly lit and ambient light cannot be controlled then LED makes sense. With plasma you have to consider reflective surface and anti-IR measures.

Plasma TV is available in 42"+ sizes only. Size per size, price point wise and picture quality wise, plasma cannot be beaten.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Well all brand is good but I think some brand is most popular like Sony, LG, Samsung and Panasonic. But if you talk about technical view then I like two brand the most - Sony and LG. Now you have two best Option. you can choose which one is the best.

Last edited:
Based on your requirement , I suggested HD Ready EH4000 model from samsung. I was about to purchase this , but went for bigger size and bought 43E490 plasma .

@Akash2012 - As avmaxfan has already pointed out, IPS are not SUPERIOR per se than the panels other TVs use - they are just superior in SOME respects. For example, IPS panels have better color retention at acute angles, and offer better color reproduction and lesser color wash than other panel types. However, they are NOT so good when it comes to contrast and black levels. So, your choice of panels (and by extension - of your TV) should really depend on what you actually watch.

For your information, IPS panels are used not just by LG (in their LM Series Smart TVs and other lower range models too), but also by Toshiba and Panasonic.

I think there need not be any indepth discussions regarding IPS technologies here. Also the samsung/lg fans need not draw swords regarding the PQ.:)

I am saying this because what is asked here is a plain vanilla suggestion that can be as well directly given by the showroom guy.;)

I am not necessarily looking for the best TV

I can live with 1366x768 resolution

Thank you all for the suggestions and input. I am in India now and yesterday I visited a local showroom which carries all major brands of TVs.

I am leaning towards a SONY 32BX350, although it's a tad on the expensive side (Rs. 27,900) compared to many other 32 inch LCD tvs. I also liked Samsung 32C550 (Rs. 29,500) and Panasonic L32XM5D (Rs. 30,000) which are more expensive, but can't see a reason to spend extra moolah on them.

This TV will be mainly used by my parents to watch TV channels in HD, not so much for movies and all. This SONY tv also has a VGA input and one can also play all sort of video files by connecting a usb drive to it, which is useful as they would like to be able to watch m2ts videos produced by a sony camcorder.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back