Whether Indian products are really bad?

Holmes

After joining this forum spent good amount of time reading about televisions and speakers. Observed many people saying don't buy products from Indian companies like Videocon,Sonodyne etc, reasons being bad service, build quality etc.

I've used 3 Videocon products till date; a TV,a Washing machine and a mobile. TV lasted for 15 years, washing machine is going strong after 5+ years and mobile died in 3rd year after falling down from my hand. Had no chance to use a Sonodyne product.

Now my question is, whether I am the only person to get faultless products from Videocon? or people blindly bash Indian products without owning one?.

-SH

Why Sir are you using an 'imported' ID and address? Imported is better, no? Otherwise you could have chosen to use an ID as Byomkesh Bakshi ... right?

After joining this forum spent good amount of time reading about televisions and speakers. Observed many people saying don't buy products from Indian companies like Videocon,Sonodyne etc, reasons being bad service, build quality etc.

I've used 3 Videocon products till date; a TV,a Washing machine and a mobile. TV lasted for 15 years, washing machine is going strong after 5+ years and mobile died in 3rd year after falling down from my hand. Had no chance to use a Sonodyne product.

Now my question is, whether I am the only person to get faultless products from Videocon? or people blindly bash Indian products without owning one?.

-SH

We have got so much used to international brands.... that we are not ready to accept an indian product even though it offers more value for money...

Many hesitate to take the indian product because they are not enough recommendations....

I have enjoyed a BPL 21 CRT colour TV for almost 15 yrs....A videocon hi-fi product for 10+ yrs...

Brands like Tata, Bajaj, Hero etc are world class. Two wheelers made in India by Indian companies are among the best in the world. However, in audio-video there aren't many manufacturers in India. Sonodyne is a good product but as the imports are quite easy now, they have to struggle for survival.

Brands like Tata, Bajaj, Hero etc are world class. Two wheelers made in India by Indian companies are among the best in the world. However, in audio-video there aren't many manufacturers in India. Sonodyne is a good product but as the imports are quite easy now, they have to struggle for survival.

Cannot say about Tata cars ... least sales shows that - in fact worldwide Jaguar Land Roves sales more cars than Tata India!!

Why Sir are you using an 'imported' ID and address? Imported is better, no? Otherwise you could have chosen to use an ID as Byomkesh Bakshi ... right?

I use the same user id in all forums I visit. My memory power is not that good, so using same id helps a lot. And I am a great fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works.

I would be glad if you stick to topic and not interfere in my personal affairs.:annoyed:

Cannot say about Tata cars ... least sales shows that - in fact worldwide Jaguar Land Roves sales more cars than Tata India!!

Their sales decline is due to improper marketing,delay in bringing new products and refreshing existing products. Things will change later this year when HORIZONEXT starts to show its results.

Personally, I dont select, if a product is from international brand or reject if a product is Indian brand. The product need to suit my requirement. Like many others, I use both national and international branded products.

In case of sonodyne, I was very keen to buy the product after reading lots of positive review (inspite of some poor service experience faced by some of our FMs). When I did the auditions for the speakers, it did not impress in terms of performance (though it performed well) and also scored bad in terms of build quality and finish. I am sure it wont cost a bomb for the manufacturer to take some effort in build quality and final finish. For me it looks more like one area,which they dont care much.

I use the same user id in all forums I visit. My memory power is not that good, so using same id helps a lot. And I am a great fan of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works.

I would be glad if you stick to topic and not interfere in my personal affairs.:annoyed:

Its everything to do with mindset. That's what I was trying to make a point. No pun intended.

I think the problem with Indian Brands is their after sales service and lack of continued innovation. They should learn from Korean companies who were in the same place few years back.

Korean companies still suffer from that kind of image in US in Auto sector...even though they make better cars than Americans (personal opinion).

I think the problem with Indian Brands is their after sales service and lack of continued innovation. They should learn from Korean companies who were in the same place few years back.

Korean companies still suffer from that kind of image in US in Auto sector...even though they make better cars than Americans (personal opinion).

Remember Cielo cars from Daewoo. This was the first sedan and very good one too. It was the first foreign company to the Indian market with huge investment but they failed due to political and economic conditions at that time (1995 I think). It was rumored that some of the Indian car manufacturers were responsible for the closure of the Daewoo plant at Delhi.

You are right. Innovation is the key word. If you don't innovate you can't succeed in today's market. Most Indian companies fail to realize this.

Guys my take is very different. IMO Indian minds are second to none (just see the top Indians in International arena). However what we have in intelligence is pretty much lost entirely in execution. Why? Simply because we do not have a decent manufacturing/infrastructure base - skill, manpower, mentality, govt. support etc. We can design the best circuits in the world, but when it has to be made - the workers (supported by selfish politicians) will be unable to execute it for whatever reason. Secondly the cost. Yes a lot has been said about cheap labour, but if one were to examine an electronic component - majority cost (perhaps 60-70 or even 80%) will be in material cost that will not change anywhere in the world and if-fact many times the local country customs and tarrifs will make it more expensive, as is the case is in India. So for instance an audio video receiver that is made in India to match the Denons or Yamahas (which are made in China) is not cheaper and in fact more expensive. Also there will be no sales volume in India, so even volume discounts will not be possible unlike the denons or yamahas that sell in 10's of thousands around the world. And finally IMO the biggest issue - Customer service. IMO Indian consumer electronic companies do not do enough to keep the customer satisfied - of-course even the customer takes advantage many times, but in the end customer is King. Unfortunately just like politicians and bureaucrats, who actually are servants of the people as they are voted by them, even manufacturers think they are Kings, when actually it is the other way round.
Sorry for the long winded post, however IMO these 3 factors are effecting the Indian consumer electronic sector. Hopefully it will improve but who knows when.
Cheers,
Sid

+1 to Sidvee's post. No lack in capability.
Plenty of room to improve in execution (quality) here ... reasons may vary for different areas/products.

Sidvee,

I agree with you.

Indians are not lacking in capability, but the mindset and circumstances are not right, simply put you cannot excel in wrong environment surrounded by thugs and deceptors. Therefore one has to look to overseas for opportunities.

Just for sake of general knowledge, I happen to know 2 such people who are in power electronics sector.

One is Mr. Sanjaya Maniktala who is Director of Engineering at Mircosemi in US. This group makes Power Mosfets for Space stations, Military and Industrial sector. He also served in BHEL India as well. Has written variety of books on SMPS and related. He left DRDO because of bad management and politics.

Another is Ms. Misha Kumar , she is lead R&D engineer in Delta Power Electronics in US, has many research papers and technical breakthroughs in PFC, Fuel Cell technology.

Both are from Delhi.

Kanwar

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back