Which 3D HD projector to buy?

bikram_singh

Hi,

I am building a media room at my home for which I am planning to buy a a decent 3D Projector and high-density projector screen along with a home theater system (probably Yamaha YHT-299). The size of my would-be media room will be 25 feetX15.5 feet and I guess projector screen will be of anywhere between 100" and 150".

I'll hook my xBox, Blu-ray player, Tata SKy HD, Asus oPlayer, and a Philips DVD player with it. And I'm looking forward for watching 3D content (movies, documentaries), HD movies, TV series, documateraies (downloaded from web or purchased on disc).

I want to know which projector should I buy? And which screen?

Please help

Thanks
Bikram

Last edited:
Epson TW6100 is an excellent projector. The only issue is that it has limited up and down shift capability. Look into the details, and see if it work, for your installation

Epson TW6100 is an excellent projector. The only issue is that it has limited up and down shift capability. Look into the details, and see if it work, for your installation

What does "up and down shift capability" means? And will it make a difference if I have a fixed screen in a dedicated movie room?

I am new to all this so I am not sure about anything and how it works. please help me out!

Up/down or even sideways movement of picture without moving the PJ is what we call lens shift. It becomes important especially when you have do not have placement flexibility, in most cases it is better to have one instead of not not having. Ex: My PJ does not have lens shift so i cannot place it on a high shelf - instead i must mount it upside down. If i had lens shift, i would place it on a high shelf and move the projection down. Is it a deal breaker for me? No - because mine is a dedicated room and i can mount where i want, but for some people it can be.
Both Epson 6100 and Benq 1070 are great projectors. In my experience, i see that Epsons have excellent build quality and service network. Epson is a LCD and the Benq is a DLP - some people love the DLP picture and some others see rainbows in it. I could not differentiate the picture at all. Both looked terrific to me :) I am a happy 6100 owner. Check for yourself which you would prefer.

Up/down or even sideways movement of picture without moving the PJ is what we call lens shift. It becomes important especially when you have do not have placement flexibility, in most cases it is better to have one instead of not not having. Ex: My PJ does not have lens shift so i cannot place it on a high shelf - instead i must mount it upside down. If i had lens shift, i would place it on a high shelf and move the projection down. Is it a deal breaker for me? No - because mine is a dedicated room and i can mount where i want, but for some people it can be.
Both Epson 6100 and Benq 1070 are great projectors. In my experience, i see that Epsons have excellent build quality and service network. Epson is a LCD and the Benq is a DLP - some people love the DLP picture and some others see rainbows in it. I could not differentiate the picture at all. Both looked terrific to me :) I am a happy 6100 owner. Check for yourself which you would prefer.

Thanks for your reply. After reading the description I agree with you that Lens Shift is not required even for me as my dedicated HT is under construction. It is not a deal breaker for me as well.

Is there anything more I need to know about it?

Hi I recently bought Epson 2030, with Projector mount and samsung 3D glasses. I however had my friend brought it from US. It cost me 1091 USD with 91 as sales tax. Few major reason I did not go for Optoma HD25E or benq w1070.

1. First and foremost :Rainbow effect ::: Even though its said that only 2 out 10 people notice it, I did not want to take the risk, LCD projectors might not have those blacks as a DLP, but over all PQ is at par with DLP, and I can live with a little less black than regretting later IF I do manage to notice rainbow effect. Evey review I have read says, if you do notice it, you can not neglect/ignore it and it can ruin your movie experience.

2. 3D :: 3D was important for me and hence brightness was important, plus 2030 anyhow is said to be better in 3D. Plus 2d to 3d conversion, also better.

3. 3D glasses ::: RF based in comparison to IR based, so works with inexpensive Samsung 3D glasses. No IR emitter needed.

4. Lamp life and cost ::::: This projector, is a huge investment for me, and so I will use it for atleast 5 years, might be more, even if the industry standard reached 10K resolution ...:D, so lamp life and cost was in to consideration.

apart from these few other advantages of 2030 I could find, over W1070, were ....

1. fast HDMI switching, Benq sometime is said to take as long as 20-30 sec to switch the source. I do want to sit in the dark for that long with my family to wait for a source change and picture to pop up.

2. MHL, yes I will use it and so it for me was an added advantage

3. Bigger picture at a shorter throw distance.

What I DID NOT like about epson 2030 over other projectors were ..

1. Fan noise at dynamic mode ...on eco mode its quite :::: So I have to compromise a bit on this, but I assume with a movie running I should not face much issue

2. No Vertical lense shift ::: W1070 has this feature.

3. No Auto 3D detection.

I can not provide a hands on review as I have not yet opened my projector. This will only be done once my room is constructed, whicj should be completed by the end of this month. So only then I can provide a hands on experience.

Hi I recently bought Epson 2030, with Projector mount and samsung 3D glasses. I however had my friend brought it from US. It cost me 1091 USD with 91 as sales tax. Few major reason I did not go for Optoma HD25E or benq w1070.

1. First and foremost :Rainbow effect ::: Even though its said that only 2 out 10 people notice it, I did not want to take the risk, LCD projectors might not have those blacks as a DLP, but over all PQ is at par with DLP, and I can live with a little less black than regretting later IF I do manage to notice rainbow effect. Evey review I have read says, if you do notice it, you can not neglect/ignore it and it can ruin your movie experience.

2. 3D :: 3D was important for me and hence brightness was important, plus 2030 anyhow is said to be better in 3D. Plus 2d to 3d conversion, also better.

3. 3D glasses ::: RF based in comparison to IR based, so works with inexpensive Samsung 3D glasses. No IR emitter needed.

4. Lamp life and cost ::::: This projector, is a huge investment for me, and so I will use it for atleast 5 years, might be more, even if the industry standard reached 10K resolution ...:D, so lamp life and cost was in to consideration.

apart from these few other advantages of 2030 I could find, over W1070, were ....

1. fast HDMI switching, Benq sometime is said to take as long as 20-30 sec to switch the source. I do want to sit in the dark for that long with my family to wait for a source change and picture to pop up.

2. MHL, yes I will use it and so it for me was an added advantage

3. Bigger picture at a shorter throw distance.

What I DID NOT like about epson 2030 over other projectors were ..

1. Fan noise at dynamic mode ...on eco mode its quite :::: So I have to compromise a bit on this, but I assume with a movie running I should not face much issue

2. No Vertical lense shift ::: W1070 has this feature.

3. No Auto 3D detection.

I can not provide a hands on review as I have not yet opened my projector. This will only be done once my room is constructed, whicj should be completed by the end of this month. So only then I can provide a hands on experience.

Is 2030 same as Epson 6100?

3020 is the US model of what we call 6100 in India. 2030 is lower priced and has lower specs than 3020 (6100)

well i m also finding a good 3d projector under 1k, but looking at the options get confused that if i pay 25000 more like for epson will i get a better projector than ben q.and will you suggest something about the contrast ratio
thank you

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back