Which 4K Media player to buy ?

coolcatric

Hi Folks,

Can you recommend me which media player should I be buying for watching 4K UHD content, mainly ISO or MKV files. Current setup is as below -

1. Philips 4K UHD
2. Denon X3500 with plans for 5.1.2

Requirements are -

1. Should support HDR, DV and Atmos/DTS:X.
2. Should play Netflix in 4K with Atmos
3. Amazon prime will be a bonus
4. 3D should be supported
5. Should support passthrough of major audio codes.
6. Future proof.

Budget - while I have not put a figure here. But I want something which is VFM. Open to options

Thanks for your help.
Peace.

Well if you are willing to spend oppo checks all the requirements you listed.

Well if you are willing to spend oppo checks all the requirements you listed.

Wel that’s lot of money.

If I do have to make compromises and buy something cheap, what’s the best option ?

Wel that’s lot of money.

If I do have to make compromises and buy something cheap, what’s the best option ?
What will be your source? Blu ray disks or through hard disk and streaming? only good 4k player available now in india is sony udb x700. Only draw back is it wont support dolby tru hd,atmos and dd+ when streamed or played in hard disk.

What will be your source? Blu ray disks or through hard disk and streaming? only good 4k player available now in india is sony udb x700. Only draw back is it wont support dolby tru hd,atmos and dd+ when streamed or played in hard disk.

Source will be through HDD (iso and mkv) and streaming Netflix. I have 5.1 setup currently with plans for Atmos.

I'm in Europe so have options of buying from here as well.

Source will be through HDD (iso and mkv) and streaming Netflix. I have 5.1 setup currently with plans for Atmos.

I'm in Europe so have options of buying from here as well.
ISO means the original blu ray disk so the movies will be in m2ts format and the sony will play them. But the atmos content in MKV format wont work. so the economical way will be to get a shield and the player. Stream plays everything but for atmos you need plex and need to stream them rather then playing through kodi, vlc etc on HDD

If I want to run just Netflix and MKV (60 Gb ones) from HDD, with 4K HDR and Atmos support, will shield hold good ?

Also, I understand that shield does not support Dolby vision or Atmos on Netflix.

If I want to run just Netflix and MKV (60 Gb ones) from HDD, with 4K HDR and Atmos support, will shield hold good ?

Also, I understand that shield does not support Dolby vision or Atmos on Netflix.
Plex will be much better. In HDD shield will play but the players u use like kodi, vlc some times looses audio in height channels. So get both and use nvidia shield for files that the blu ray wont support. That is what i am doing

Last edited:
I don't have a 4k tv so cant comment on its perfofrmance. But nvidia shield has good reviews for 4k as well. YOu can get both a blu ray player and the shield.
My main content is Netflix and mkv files (stored in a HDD) , won't shield alone solve the problem?

I'm trying to setup Plex server on my laptop, facing some issues. Need to sort that out as well.

My main content is Netflix and mkv files (stored in a HDD) , won't shield alone solve the problem?

I'm trying to setup Plex server on my laptop, facing some issues. Need to sort that out as well.
Shield plays everything. You will be using players like kodi, vlc and mx player. They play every formats. The only problem i noticed is while watching atmos movies in few scenes the audio is lost in the height chanels. But if you stream through plex no issues. Plex is even more convenient then copying huge files to your HDD. But if you want to watch only in HDD my advice will be get the sony x700 and also the shield if budget permits. Use plex in shield for the files that are not supported by the blu ray player

The Shield peacefully plays 4K hdr rips of 50-60gb size. Yes it has Atmos support for all those files.

No, it doesn't have Dolby Vision (but which player does under 20k?), and no Atmos in Netflix but that will be added soon apparently. We know it's doable because it supports Atmos in Amazon Prime Video.

Shield plays everything. You will be using players like kodi, vlc and mx player. They play every formats. The only problem i noticed is while watching atmos movies in few scenes the audio is lost in the height chanels. But if you stream through plex no issues. Plex is even more convenient then copying huge files to your HDD. But if you want to watch only in HDD my advice will be get the sony x700 and also the shield if budget permits. Use plex in shield for the files that are not supported by the blu ray player

The Shield peacefully plays 4K hdr rips of 50-60gb size. Yes it has Atmos support for all those files.

No, it doesn't have Dolby Vision (but which player does under 20k?), and no Atmos in Netflix but that will be added soon apparently. We know it's doable because it supports Atmos in Amazon Prime Video.

Update -

So last night while I was playing around with my TV settings, I found out that audio out was set to digital only, not Dolby Digital Plus. I immediately changed that setting and voila, the built in app for Netflix and Amazon both show 5.1 now (written next to titles), also the receiver shows DD+.

Now with this development, I guess the only missing link is to run the 60 gig MKV files. I tried plex but facing lot of issues, not able to establish a direct connected between the TV and server on laptop.

I guess to overcome this I should either look at Shield as suggested by you guys, or I think I can save money and even buy a cheaper media player like the himedia Q10 or Roku.

Any thoughts here please ?

Thanks for your help.

Update -

So last night while I was playing around with my TV settings, I found out that audio out was set to digital only, not Dolby Digital Plus. I immediately changed that setting and voila, the built in app for Netflix and Amazon both show 5.1 now (written next to titles), also the receiver shows DD+.

Now with this development, I guess the only missing link is to run the 60 gig MKV files. I tried plex but facing lot of issues, not able to establish a direct connected between the TV and server on laptop.

I guess to overcome this I should either look at Shield as suggested by you guys, or I think I can save money and even buy a cheaper media player like the himedia Q10 or Roku.

Thanks for your help.
If u have the budget get the shield as it’s a VFM product and sold only till stocks last. I think nvidia discontinued shield.

Update -

Thanks for your help.

The cheaper media players won't have the hardware chops to play the 4K HDR files. You need a powerful system basically.

If u have the budget get the shield as it’s a VFM product and sold only till stocks last. I think nvidia discontinued shield.
The cheaper media players won't have the hardware chops to play the 4K HDR files. You need a powerful system basically.

Looks like Shield is loved by many :)

I'm going to say no to Roku Ultra, ATV4K, Himedia Q10 & the Minix U9.

I guess the only thing i will miss with Shield is the Dolby Vision, hoping it comes out in a future upgrade. Anyways I will not upgrade to a TV with DV for another 6 months.

Thanks !

i have Xbox which is also a great player, wherein you have both Amazon prime and Netflix apps installed. You can also play thru plex and directly UHD blu rays too.

its too a value proposition if you compare with Shield.

i have Xbox which is also a great player, wherein you have both Amazon prime and Netflix apps installed. You can also play thru plex and directly UHD blu rays too.

its too a value proposition if you compare with Shield.
xbox one right? He is looking in to a player that will play all formats from HDD. Does the xbox do well playing files from HDD?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back