Which AV Receiver and HT package?

Calvin

My plan was to buy a Onkyo 3300 to accompany my soon to be delivered Plasma. After going through various threads in HFV, dropped that plan and started looking for receivers and speakers to build a HT step by step.

Had a demo of Denon 1311 (1611 was not available for demo) and Wharfedale 9 HCP, but the output was so so. Replaced the fronts with 9.1, and felt better. But it was little bright when they played a song from Ravanan movie in Bluray. As a stereo setup, the sound was good, but I felt there is not enough bass. I'm planning to get a demo with 9.2s tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of getting a Yamaha 667 in grey market instead of Denon 1611, which might help if I want to add a stereo amp later.

Movie: Music is 60:40 and the room size is 12x16x10.

Below is the price quoted, I want to know if I can get these things for lesser price.

Denon 1611 - Rs. 28,700
Wharf Diamond 9.1 - Rs. 11,700
9 CS Center - Rs. 9,900
9 DFS Surround - Rs. 9,900
SW150 - Rs. 18,900

if youre happy with a stereo set up, for the same budget you can get a better sounding system. for 80k you can get a really good stereo setup where you wont feel the lack of bass. audition the monitor audio silver rx2 bookshelves and see how you feel abt it. if you feel the bass is still a little under for you you can always add a sub and still come into the 80k youre looking at

Hi m' looking at purchasing a wharfdale Moviestar 70+ 5.1 speakers & an AVR5110 (Wharfdale make) for a price quoted Rs.45999.00. Is it a good system & if so is it a good buy for the price quoted? An opinion to this regard would be much appreciated...

Thanks
Sanjay

I'm planning to get a demo with 9.2s tomorrow.

I'm also thinking of getting a Yamaha 667 in grey market instead of Denon 1611, which might help if I want to add a stereo amp later.

Movie: Music is 60:40 and the room size is 12x16x10.

Below is the price quoted, I want to know if I can get these things for lesser price.

Denon 1611 - Rs. 28,700
Wharf Diamond 9.1 - Rs. 11,700
9 CS Center - Rs. 9,900
9 DFS Surround - Rs. 9,900
SW150 - Rs. 18,900

IF you are buying wharf, look at 9.5 / 9.6. very good floor standers. Also,
at the same budget range, Mordaunt short is also good (will shoot by 10% over wharf)

Hello dear friends m' new to this and look for ur expert comments.... M' looking at purchasing a wharfdale Moviestar 70+ 5.1 HTS & an AVR5110 (Wharfdale make) for a price quoted Rs.45999.00. Most importantly, is it a good system & if so is it a good buy for the price quoted? An opinion to this regard would be much appreciated...:)

Thanks
Sanjay

if youre happy with a stereo set up, for the same budget you can get a better sounding system. for 80k you can get a really good stereo setup where you wont feel the lack of bass. audition the monitor audio silver rx2 bookshelves and see how you feel abt it. if you feel the bass is still a little under for you you can always add a sub and still come into the 80k youre looking at

No, I'm fine with a stereo setup for time being, but I ultimately want a 5.1 setup. I'm just planning to spread out the purchase over next 6-8 months. I'll try to demo Monitor Audio bookshelves.

IF you are buying wharf, look at 9.5 / 9.6. very good floor standers. Also,
at the same budget range, Mordaunt short is also good (will shoot by 10% over wharf)

I'm not sure if I need FS speakers now. I'd be having them in my bedroom which has space constraints. Will check Mordaunt Short speakers.

In my opinion MS is any day better than WF as I had detailed audition of both of them. I am not sure about the present price of both the brands.

Also my suggestion is that when it comes to speakers it is better go in for a better one at the first instance itself. As technologically there is going to be no big change in the speakers. Only receivers will under go sea of changes as the year goes. So don't mind, go for the extra millage and get MS floor standers. So that you may need to change your receiver only in future and not the speakers.

In my opinion MS is any day better than WF as I had detailed audition of both of them. I am not sure about the present price of both the brands.

Also my suggestion is that when it comes to speakers it is better go in for a better one at the first instance itself. As technologically there is going to be no big change in the speakers. Only receivers will under go sea of changes as the year goes. So don't mind, go for the extra millage and get MS floor standers. So that you may need to change your receiver only in future and not the speakers.

As I said in my earlier post, I have very little space for hifi in my bedroom and can't fit in a floorstander there. Also, I won't be moving out of my current home for at least 3-4 years. Probably I'll get a pair of FS once I move to a bigger home with a dedicated HT room.

Anyway, I'll be auditioning other brands too in the coming weeks. Thanks for your suggestion :)

Which aviano s u r referring to ... The Aviano 2 (Bookshelf) are abt 22k and Aviano 6 (Floorstanders) are abt 40k +-5k
and Wharfedale 9.5 (Floorstanders) are abt 25k

I was asking about Aviano 2. Can't afford to buy a 22K speaker for fronts now :sad:

Right now I can spend 40-42 K for AVR and Fronts, which leaves me with very few choices.

Hello dear friends m' new to this and look for ur expert comments.... M' looking at purchasing a wharfdale Moviestar 70+ 5.1 HTS & an AVR5110 (Wharfdale make) for a price quoted Rs.45999.00. Most importantly, is it a good system & if so is it a good buy for the price quoted? An opinion to this regard would be much appreciated...:)

Thanks
Sanjay

start a new thread and am sure you'll get required help

though im not a bose fan their new 301's are a very well rounded speaker @ 17k per pair. they pair very well with the yamaha amp and arent very hungry on power either

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back