Which Blueray player - Does it matter if using AV Receiver

talespin

Hi,

if I am using AV receiver, does it really matter which Blueray player i use?

Blueray disc is digital media and all i am doing is feeding bitstream from disc using HDMI to my AV Receiver and AV receiver has to do all the signal processing. So does it really matter if i use a decent(not costly, no audio out, only HDMI) Blueray player. Do i really need Audio out from Blue Ray player.

Reason i am asking is i am spending lot on Audio(80% for movies) if it really matters wont mind spending on Blueray, but i do not want to waste money.

Why do may ppl say you need blueray from brands like Denon/Pioneer/Oppo?
Whats so special in them, do they make great sound?

Please answer if someone is confident about it.

I think the difference would only be in video signal processing.
Plus most people also try to get region free bluray players to play discs for any region.

Audio signal processing wouldn't be affected if you connect it to your AV Receiver using HDMI.

Personally I'd recommend an HTPC though ;)

@talespin, you can use any good BDP (and not any BDP) with an AVR. Some BDPs have better signal processing capability that works better during upscaling of DVDs. If you use HDMI with bitstream audio then BDP is used as pure transport for audio purposes. HTPC is a good option but its advantages are best yielded when used as a media library player. An HTPC will not yield better picture when playing BDs.

@talespin, you can use any good BDP (and not any BDP) with an AVR. Some BDPs have better signal processing capability that works better during upscaling of DVDs. If you use HDMI with bitstream audio then BDP is used as pure transport for audio purposes. HTPC is a good option but its advantages are best yielded when used as a media library player. An HTPC will not yield better picture when playing BDs.

I didn't understand how an HTPC might not yield picture quality as good as a BDP? Some of the newer GPUs might be as good as the dedicated video processing chips in BDPs won't it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I didn't understand how an HTPC might not yield picture quality as good as a BDP? Some of the newer GPUs might be as good as the dedicated video processing chips in BDPs won't it?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
While playing back a BD via HTPC or BDP, the GPU does not play any part unless it is upscaling to 4K - which is no use anyway because most TV are 1080p and will scale down the picture. When playing back a BD, it is a simple read, decrypt (for copyright protection), and stream via HDMO. The GPU plays no part; it is the CPU that is doing the whole work in case of HTPC. In a BD (or DVD) the video is already rendered and present in the disc in form of JPEG frames.

Games are a different matter. In games, the GPU plays a very important part in rendering video from vector graphics and all that (I am not an expert).

While playing back a BD via HTPC or BDP, the GPU does not play any part unless it is upscaling to 4K - which is no use anyway because most TV are 1080p and will scale down the picture. When playing back a BD, it is a simple read, decrypt (for copyright protection), and stream via HDMO. The GPU plays no part; it is the CPU that is doing the whole work in case of HTPC. In a BD (or DVD) the video is already rendered and present in the disc in form of JPEG frames.

Games are a different matter. In games, the GPU plays a very important part in rendering video from vector graphics and all that (I am not an expert).

I'm sorry my friend. I thought you'd say the dedicated video chips in a BDP produce much better video quality when compared to a PC GPU. But I have to humbly point out that you are wrong about GPU not doing any work for BD playback. All modern GPUs have hardware decoding support for h264 video. Plus there is a lot of video post-processing as well. And video encoded in BD is using AVC(h264) which is not analogues to packing JPEG frames.

If a media player uses software decoding for BD playback, then yes, CPU will do all the work. And in this case video quality might not be as good as that produced by a BDP.

I'm sorry my friend. I thought you'd say the dedicated video chips in a BDP produce much better video quality when compared to a PC GPU. But I have to humbly point out that you are wrong about GPU not doing any work for BD playback. All modern GPUs have hardware decoding support for h264 video. Plus there is a lot of video post-processing as well. And video encoded in BD is using AVC(h264) which is not analogues to packing JPEG frames.

If a media player uses software decoding for BD playback, then yes, CPU will do all the work. And in this case video quality might not be as good as that produced by a BDP.

If you say so.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back