Which budget Receiver

MaSh

Hi,

Need help selecting a budget 5.1 receiver. The receivers I could shortlist in no particular order are

1. Pioneer VSX-524K
2. Yamaha HTR-3067 - Rs.25k
3. DenonX500 - Rs.25k

I am not looking for anything fancy, just current Audio Video Decoders, atleast 3 HDMI inputs and OSD via HDMI among other things. Standby Pass through would be a good feature to have. Saw it in action on Denon X500, not sure about others having it.

Usage is a mix of BR movies, Music and HD TV channels.

Speakers I have:
Front: Polk Tsi200
Center: Infidelity
Rear: Polk Monitor 30
Sub: Boston Acoustics XS
Upgrading from Denon 1908.

What do you guys suggest? Anyone using either of these receivers?

MaSh

hi

go for the pioneer...if you can put in some more....go for Marantz nr1504

Thank You for the suggestion and yes Pioneer looks good on paper, but its become hard to find in the non-grey market!!

Stores like Pro Fx have not received stock of any Pioneer receiver for the last 2 months. Hence could not audition it when I was there on Saturday. The few models they had, were not connected. Not sure if its got something to do with Onkyo's takeover of the Pioneer home audio division. This is what is making me wary of picking a Pioneer.

I heard the Yamaha 3067 and DenonX500. Both sounded great. Yamaha had a more open sound than the Denon, which had a more direct in your face kind of a sound. Also, Yamaha had a USB which Denon does not, but that should be okay, since my BluRay player has one.

After 2 more days of research, Denon AVR-X500 is topping the list, getting a yummy deal on it from ProFx and also it sounded fine on my own speakers. Hoping to get any long term reviews on this one from current users to firm up my decision.

With respect to budget, its a hard stop. No extending, even though I am tempted, but no. :sad:

MaSh

Denon and polk pairs well, would suggest to include sherwood, marantz slim line receivers into your list, take an audition and see if your ears are getting convinced.

Denon and polk pairs well, would suggest to include sherwood, marantz slim line receivers into your list, take an audition and see if your ears are getting convinced.

Sure. Could I get these in my budget? Any idea where I could audition them in Bangalore?

1. Pioneer VSX-524K
2. Yamaha HTR-3067 - Rs.25k
3. DenonX500 - Rs.25k

Have you checked ProFX in MG Road? They deal with all three AVRs in your shortlist. You can have a demo with Polk speakers (which they also deal with) and make a decision.

Have you checked ProFX in MG Road? They deal with all three AVRs in your shortlist. You can have a demo with Polk speakers (which they also deal with) and make a decision.

Yes that's where I went with my own Polks. They had 2-3 Pioneer receivers and none were not available for auditioning.

Sure. Could I get these in my budget? Any idea where I could audition them in Bangalore?

Sherwood yes, Marantz you may have to stretch a bit. Cinebels deals with both the brands, two showrooms in bangalore Lavelle/Millers Road. Visit them at cinebels.com

Hi Mash

You currently use a Denon and hence suggested using a different AVR....the X500 is an old model....the X510 is the latest model...if the x500 is more appealing, you should bargain more for it.

Hi Mash

You currently use a Denon and hence suggested using a different AVR....the X500 is an old model....the X510 is the latest model...if the x500 is more appealing, you should bargain more for it.

I sold my Denon and yes looking to try out something different. Pioneer excited me too, however the Onkyo-Pioneer merger and lack of stocks is keeping me confused. But if the receiver is actually good, I might take the jump, even if its from the Grey Market.

Between x500 and x510, I dont see any major change except for bluetooth and I think a USB, both I might not need.

Sherwood yes, Marantz you may have to stretch a bit. Cinebels deals with both the brands, two showrooms in bangalore Lavelle/Millers Road. Visit them at cinebels.com

Thats a good idea. Phoenix mall is close by, I can inquire there about Sherwood. Could you please provide brief comparo of Sherwood receivers, comparing them to the Denons, Yamahas and the likes?

Last edited:
Does Pioneer has stereo mode ? please comment. last time during my Auditioning, the store guys told poi 3xx does not have stereo mode ?

can someone comment ?

Hi

Pioneer has stereo mode and all channel stereo too.....if using a sub sat system...you need to do some settings on the AVR to get optimal performance....

Does Pioneer has stereo mode ? please comment. last time during my Auditioning, the store guys told poi 3xx does not have stereo mode ?

can someone comment ?

Which Pioneer model are you referring to? With respect to Pioneer 524k, in the manual, page 26, chapter 5 does mention Stereo mode. You could check the manual of your model on the Pioneer website.

Which Pioneer model are you referring to? With respect to Pioneer 524k, in the manual, page 26, chapter 5 does mention Stereo mode. You could check the manual of your model on the Pioneer website.

I think its 323. Just checked the manual of 524k and it supports stereo. But @ 25k which is better, Pio 524 or the Yamaha HTR 3067.

I already have HTR 3066 in home. fyi

@ 25k which is better, Pio 524 or the Yamaha HTR 3067.

Thats an answer I am looking for too. Wanted to hear Pioneer 524k, but its not where available. Hoping to hear from anyone who uses it. Pioneer 530k could soon be launched, maybe thats why Pioneer is on a market cleanup mode.

Thats a good idea. Phoenix mall is close by, I can inquire there about Sherwood. Could you please provide brief comparo of Sherwood receivers, comparing them to the Denons, Yamahas and the likes?

Well Sherwood is considered entry model and is placed below Denon's and other mass market receivers, i have auditioned them once i felt their sound to be bit harsh IMHO.

Well Sherwood is considered entry model and is placed below Denon's and other mass market receivers, i have auditioned them once i felt their sound to be bit harsh IMHO.

Got it, eagerly waiting for the weekend now. Hopefully I find something. Its sad to see an empty hole in the rack and all speakers collecting dust.

The final list looks something like this

1. Pioneer 524k - Keeping it as an option in the Grey Market
2. Denon x500 -
3. Denon x1000 - Demo piece
4. Sherwood - to be auditioned

PS: I am open to Demo, Pre Worshipped, etc receivers too. Aim here is to find the best value for money receiver full filling ones requirements. Hopefully by the time I am done, others like me also benefit. Not every one needs Atmos, 4k, DTS-X, 9 satellites, etc.

MaSh

Go with Denon x1000. Whats is the price for the demo piece? Even I feel the same about the atmos or dts x. uncompressed formats are more than enough to have a good audio experience in homes.

Denon will match really with the polk speakers and it has Audyssey, or else you can try marantz slim line series.

Pioneer is also a good choice but little bit higher like 824 or 924 will sound good. Because I have used vsx920k in the past and they sound really great.

Yes that's where I went with my own Polks. They had 2-3 Pioneer receivers and none were not available for auditioning.

Are you sure? My bro bought a Yamaha AVR from there last week. He could demo Pioneer, Denon and Yamaha.

PS: I am open to Demo, Pre Worshipped, etc receivers too. Aim here is to find the best value for money receiver full filling ones requirements.
Check with Reliance Digital, Cunningham Road. They typically have some display items available on sale. When I was looking for my AVR, I got a quote for 28k+ for a Denon 2100 display piece (not sure about the model number).

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back