Which combo: Denon 1513/Yamaha 373 with Dali Zensor 1/Wharfedale 10.1

aadi007

Hi All,

After lot of research for the last few weeks, I am ready to take my first step in the hi-fi world.
I am on a tight budget...so I have decided to go with an entry level AVR and bookshleves.
I will be using the setup for both music and movies (50/50).

AVR's shortlisted - Denon 1513 and Yamaha 373
Speakers shortlisted - Wharfedale 10.1/10.2 and Dali Zensor 1.

I have tried a lot to audition this combination but it is almost impossible to do so here in Hyderabad. So, I have to go with all your collective knowledge..
So, please suggest me what will be the best combination for me.
I do not like bright sound as I find it too harsh and can't listen for long.

I plan to buy immediately...so please provide your suggestions.
Price I am getting is :
Wharfedale 10.1 - 16K
Dali Zensor 1 - 17K
Wharfedale 10.2 - 21K (not sure whether the AVRs can drive this)
Yamaha 373 - 24K
Denon 1513 - 22K.

I hope the prices are reasonable.

Please do not suggest other speakers or combinations...I have listened to some other brands like Monitor Audio/Mordaunt Short/Heco and I did not like them. Other brands' availability might be an issue

Last edited:
I chose Yamaha 373 over Denon 1513 coz of 'after sales service' and USB port. Still to decide on the speakers but have placed the order for the AVR thru pepperfry. Where are you getting the quote for Wharfedale speakers? I didn't find anyone in Hyderabad stocking them.

Thank you,
Rikhi

With both AVRs Dali can pair well.Wharfedale are other options.Also monitor audio speakers to be auditioned.

Got the quote from Vector systems for Wharfedale.

Is it a generally accepted fact that Yamaha is better than Denon for music? I don't care much about USB.

If both are more or less the same, I would go for Denon as it is 2K cheaper :D

Dali Zensor 1 and Wharfedale 10.1 are more or less similar priced as well...

Since I am not planning to have a sub now, which combo will give me a fuller sound? What I understand is Wharf has better bass whereas Dali has better details.I don't know if that's true.

I hope there won't be any issue with adequate power in any of these combo.

In my budget, Monitor Audio has MR2 which I audtioned and didn't like at all particularly paired with Denon.

I chose Yamaha 373 over Denon 1513 coz of 'after sales service' and USB port. Still to decide on the speakers but have placed the order for the AVR thru pepperfry. Where are you getting the quote for Wharfedale speakers? I didn't find anyone in Hyderabad stocking them.

Thank you,
Rikhi

Let us know about your experience with pepperfry..
Which speakers have you shortlisted?

I'm thoroughly enjoying Dali and Yamaha combination. I chose this over Denon and Dali because I felt that Yamaha was a but more musical. Although, the Yamaha Dali combo is not warm, it's not bright or shrilly either. If you are particularly after warm sound, choose either Dali + Denon or Yamaha + wharfedale.

I'm thoroughly enjoying Dali and Yamaha combination. I chose this over Denon and Dali because I felt that Yamaha was a but more musical. Although, the Yamaha Dali combo is not warm, it's not bright or shrilly either. If you are particularly after warm sound, choose either Dali + Denon or Yamaha + wharfedale.

Thanks bro..it really helps to hear from someone having first hand experience.
The only complaint I have heard against the Zensor 1 is they lack bass somewhat though I could not get a demo yet.
Is the Denon + Wharfedale combo ruled out? Will it be too warm?
The more I think about it I think Denon + Dali or Yamaha + Wharfedale would be better for me...

Will just wait for 1 or 2 days before making the final decision.

If you are going ahead with wharfedale, go for the new diamond 121. It is supposed to be better than 10.1. It is priced at 20k but you should get some discount.

Dali is generally called lean in bass. I have the ikon 6 so I cannot comment on the bookshelf but it has just the right amount of bass for music. For movies you will always need a sub however with ikon 6 I have never missed a subwoofer.

I think the zensor series is not that lean. You should audition before deciding.

Dali Zensor 1 and Wharfedale 10.1 are more or less similar priced as well...

Since I am not planning to have a sub now, which combo will give me a fuller sound? What I understand is Wharf has better bass whereas Dali has better details.I don't know if that's true.

I agree with your above observation.

If your preference is Music - Dali is a better choice. You can add a Sub later.
If you want higher Bass go for Wharf.

^^
Yes, my preference is music...
Just to be clear, I am not a bass head..I am not looking for 'boom'..I am looking for the right amount of bass/punch for a nice full sound.
I can't stand bright sound...feels too harsh.
Problem is I am not able to get a Demo of Dali Zensor 1

Last edited:
^^
Yes, my preference is music...
Just to be clear, I am not a bass head..I am not looking for 'boom'..I am looking for the right amount of bass/punch for a nice full sound.
I can't stand bright sound...feels too harsh.
Problem is I am not able to get a Demo of Dali Zensor 1

Well,then pioneer can also be considered for balanced sound.

^^
Do not want to confuse myself more..
I am more or less decided on Denon 1513 + Dali Zensor 1.

I hope it works out well...will this combination be a problem with music?

Still unable to get an audition... and not able to decide conclusively without audition. Requested the Dali dealer to arrange for an audition..hopefully it will happen by this weekend.

In the meantime, shall I look for MS Aviano 1/2? These are available for audition..Are they worth giving a try? Do they go well with Yamaha 373/Denon 1513?

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back